• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Continous Snow Cover Day Stretches

Zelocita Weather

Tomorrow will be the 45th straight day with snowcover across the region (most still have between 6-10" snowcover around the area).

I moved to NJ in 1991, and this would be the 2nd longest such stretch in that time period. Only other longer period would be Dec 29 through approximately March 10 during 93/94.

Looking back at years before 1991, it seems this could be the 2nd longest stretch in 20-30 years! Historic. Anyone else have firm numbers/records?

:snowman:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow will be the 45th straight day with snowcover across the region (most still have between 6-10" snowcover around the area).

I moved to NJ in 1991, and this would be the 2nd longest such stretch in that time period. Only other longer period would be Dec 29 through approximately March 10 during 93/94.

Looking back at years before 1991, it seems this could be the 2nd longest stretch in 20-30 years! Historic. Anyone else have firm numbers/records?

:snowman:

The record for central park is 47-48 with snowcover from Dec 23rd until Feb 18th. We will likely fall just short of that record, but historic nonetheless and 2nd place all time likely.

Not sure how much snow is left in the park, but with the lack of new snow and with the pattern going warm soon...its going to be close.

There's about 10" snow depth in Central Park.

We really need the Miller B early next week to work out to break the 47-48 record. 12z ECM was surprisingly close to a moderate snowfall for NYC metro with the late-blooming coastal.

not much snowmelt until this weekend, but no real snow in the forecast until sometime next week...

either way, what a run!!! imagine if this entire winter had been cold (and just as stormy)? would have been even more epic.

I just wish we hadn't wasted the first half of December with all those threats that just barely missed us....we could have built an absolutely massive and much more resilient snowpack if we'd gotten some good snows before the Boxing Day Blizzard. Considering the low sun angle and temperatures averaging 4.5F below normal at KNYC, December could have established a very good base for the snowpack that burgeoned in January; in any case, it was still a fun month with the arctic front around December 14th and then the big blizzard followed by very cold weather. Most of the smaller lakes and ponds in Westchester were frozen before Christmas, and remain iced to this day, something I've never seen here before.

I just wish we hadn't wasted the first half of December with all those threats that just barely missed us....we could have built an absolutely massive and much more resilient snowpack if we'd gotten some good snows before the Boxing Day Blizzard. Considering the low sun angle and temperatures averaging 4.5F below normal at KNYC, December could have established a very good base for the snowpack that burgeoned in January; in any case, it was still a fun month with the arctic front around December 14th and then the big blizzard followed by very cold weather. Most of the smaller lakes and ponds in Westchester were frozen before Christmas, and remain iced to this day, something I've never seen here before.

Well, Nate

IF February 5-6 2010 had slammed us, with 24-36" of snow.

I mean, Elkridge Maryland had 38.3 inches from that, then 16.5 inches from February 10th.... IF I were to guess the snow deptn for February 10th for Elkridge, its likely they had 48 to 52 inches on the ground on February 10th. Now THAT is absolutely stunning. Jesus, I can't imagine what that would look like here.

I know Pasadena MD had 45 inches of snow on ground after February 10th. Pasadena MD had 29" from February 6, and 20.8" from Feb 10th.

Then you add February 9-10th 2010: 14-18 inches.

Then you add February 25-26 2010: 16-22 inches of snow.

It is very likely we would have gotten 40-45 inches of snow on the ground...

I can't image what 38" of snow would look like around here, let alone 16.5" of frosting on top. Last year down here we just got clipped with The heavy snow on Feb 5 th with 15.5 then another 18.5 on the 10th topping off at 30" on the ground onthe 11 th. That actually almost beat blizzard of 96, had 28.7 plus 3" of cement on the ground for that one. Of course it was completely gone 12 days later. Last years lasted well into March and this year.... Well 45 days and counting.

I mean, Elkridge Maryland had 38.3 inches from that, then 16.5 inches from February 10th.... IF I were to guess the snow deptn for February 10th for Elkridge, its likely they had 48 to 52 inches on the ground on February 10th. Now THAT is absolutely stunning. Jesus, I can't imagine what that would look like here.

It is very likely we would have gotten 40-45 inches of snow on the ground...

Like 1961 in NNJ.

I didn't measure in my N. Morris Cty BY, but it was much more than navel deep to one who was then 5'8", somewhere 40-45". The three NNJ reserviors measuring snow depth at that time, peak depth (on either 2/4 or 2/5/61):

Charlotteburg: 47"

Oak Ridge: 50"

Canistear: 52"

Oak Ridge touched 41" in Jan, 1948 but other than that month none of the three has recorded over 35" other than in 1961.

I still favor 96 overall as best winter all time. Snows started Nov 29th with 3" ending April 9 th with 10". It literally snowed every other week the entire winter totaling 86.3".

I agree. If we break the total snowfall of 1996 this winter in a much shorter time period than we did then that would be quite unbelievable.

I agree. If we break the total snowfall of 1996 this winter in a much shorter time period than we did then that would be quite unbelievable.

It depends how this winter finishes up. 95/96 was perfect through Jan 15, but that flood when we lost every ounce of our snowcover in 1 day, was horrible. This winter up until now avoided a torch storm/true cutter.

We're still holding on to a good snow pack here. Haven't seen the grass since, well...a very long time ago.

Same here at work in Bayside. Solid snow pack throughout. All of NE Queens is holding up very nicely.

Closer to LGA and City, in Astoria, a lot less snow but still a few inches snowpack.

Same here at work in Bayside. Solid snow pack throughout. All of NE Queens is holding up very nicely.

Closer to LGA and City, in Astoria, a lot less snow but still a few inches snowpack.

Still have like 8 inches in the undisturbed areas and massive piles wherever it was shoveled. I think we easily move into second place but 1st is a long shot unless something next week works out. Anything would do it. Even 2 or 3 inches should be enough to carry us to the end. We just need it to happen!

Still have like 8 inches in the undisturbed areas and massive piles wherever it was shoveled. I think we easily move into second place but 1st is a long shot unless something next week works out. Anything would do it. Even 2 or 3 inches should be enough to carry us to the end. We just need it to happen!

Might get a little help with the clipper...1-3 looks likely there.

After that we warm up for 3 days which will be the true test. Colder times after that

Not very optimistic with the clipper(s) on Sun and Mon. The blocking looks too far north to really shove the Polar Vortex south into Labrador, which would be needed in order to suppress the Mon clipper so that it passes south of the NYC area.

Climo for moisture-starved clippers that track across upstate NY and redevelop off the eastern New England coast indicates the NYC area gets very little snow, usually a few flurries to an inch at most. If the Mon clipper were to trend stronger, we may have hope for a little more.

As it stands now, if there is any precipitation, both Sun and Mon will probably see rain from NYC south.

Might get a little help with the clipper...1-3 looks likely there.

After that we warm up for 3 days which will be the true test. Colder times after that

Unfortunately with sunny skies and temps in the 40s and maybe even 50s next week, I expect the snowpack (not the snowpiles) in CPK and at my house (7-10" or so now) to be gone by about Thursday, which will put us a few days short of the 47-48 record. Still a helluva winter and I'm still hoping for more in late February/March, as I'd hate to end up with "just" 59", when I had that by early February.

Archived