Chicago WX

45 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your favorite winter of the last 5

• 2006-07
    • 2007-08
    • 2008-09
    • 2009-10
    • 2010-11

Granted this winter is not finished yet, but it's been a pretty active one for quite a few...but I was just wondering what the vibe was with this winter compared to the previous four. I guess we could go back further in time, but for the purpose of this thread...we'll just use the last five including this one. If you wish to, I'd love to hear why you chose the winter you did.

Granted this winter is not finished yet, but it's been a pretty active one for quite a few...but I was just wondering what the vibe was with this winter compared to the previous four. I guess we could go back further in time, but for the purpose of this thread...we'll just use the last five including this one. If you wish to, I'd love to hear why you chose the winter you did.

09-10.... 30" of snow in a 3 week period.

nuff said

hmmm then again '07-'08 we had 22" in 24 hours...lol.

I have to go with 2007-08 as well. I'm usually the guy who wants solid cold and snowfall for 80-90% of the days in the winter months, which 07-08 had but the % was lower with the warm ups and flooding around here, but that winter was something special with tons of activity...both snowy and "warm" stormy. This winter has resolved my snow pack and cold fetish, but it doesn't offer the same intensity of storms as did the 07-08 version.

This. Our alltime record single storm snowfall here, not just surpassing but smashing the old record? -beats anything else in the time frame.

see my edited post above. We blew away ours on that march storm as well, however it was one storm and it occurred in march. Granted for march it stuck around quite awhile, but still....march, yech

I have to go with 2007-08 as well. I'm usually the guy who wants solid cold and snowfall for 80-90% of the days in the winter months, which 07-08 had but the % was lower with the warm ups and flooding around here, but that winter was something special with tons of activity...both snowy and "warm" stormy. This winter has resolved my snow pack and cold fetish, but it doesn't offer the same intensity of storms as did the 07-08 version.

I can't decide between this one, 06-07 and 07-08. :lol: This one has obviously had a lot of snow and sustained cold, while 07-08 was active with more thaws. 06-07 only gets into the conversation because of the epic February, particularly the one week period where we pulled off a 6" and the huge blizzard (and another small event afterwards to make it over 26" in 10 days)...almost unheard of for LAF.

I guess I'd give 07-08 the nod since it had a lot of snow including a 10 incher.

see my edited post above. We blew away ours on that march storm as well, however it was one storm and it occurred in march. Granted for march it stuck around quite awhile, but still....march, yech

Well I am going by CMH so I think we are talking about the same storm and totals. Part of why I loved it so much was that it was just perfect- just a giant of a snowfall(but no blizzard as the winds just did not make it like they thought) huge fun, but no real loss or deaths or anything. Snowmen, etc. EVERYWHERE, and it was all done a week later. What a way to end a winter!

And with the damn airport (for probably the only time in it's history) getting the absolute highest storm total of anywhere....it was just too good.

Whoever thought the airport would get 20 inches+ of snow in one storm...ever?

I was up all night watching on here(lurking) and I think it was you who were on here as well updating, etc. as the snow came right up the Scioto river valley..right to Cbus. (if not you then it was someone from here). WE were the big winners of anyone. That never happens(see this winter for an example of this).

*also I was lucky enough to be off work during the storm.

I can't decide between this one, 06-07 and 07-08. :lol: This one has obviously had a lot of snow and sustained cold, while 07-08 was active with more thaws. 06-07 only gets into the conversation because of the epic February, particularly the one week period where we pulled off a 6" and the huge blizzard (and another small event afterwards to make it over 26" in 10 days)...almost unheard of for LAF.

I guess I'd give 07-08 the nod since it had a lot of snow including a 10 incher.

lol, one vote for 2006-07. There's no doubt that 10 day stretch was pretty epic for LAF, but the front half of that winter was really lame. It gets docked for that in my book. It then came down to 07-08 and 10-11 for me. Like I said earlier, snow cover and cold are big considerations for me in choosing which winter was best...which this winter has had, much more than 07-08 for us. But 07-08 was just so dynamic with the ups and downs...really a roller coaster where we pulled off snow when had to. If this winter still has a 10" storm in store for us, my vote probably changes...but I'm not holding my breath.

This season hands down for me. We've lacked big storm hits here for many many years, and this season we have a 10" and 16" storm. We already have almost 18" in February alone, and we're only 6 days into it lol.

Last season was kind of cool in that we kept solid snow cover on the ground from early December through early March, something I've never seen around here. This season we've had a pretty continuous snow cover too, but the huge torch around New Years lead to bare ground for a few weeks.

lol, one vote for 2006-07. There's no doubt that 10 day stretch was pretty epic for LAF, but the front half of that winter was really lame. It gets docked for that in my book. It then came down to 07-08 and 10-11 for me. Like I said earlier, snow cover and cold are big considerations for me in choosing which winter was best...which this winter has had, much more than 07-08 for us. But 07-08 was just so dynamic with the ups and downs...really a roller coaster where we pulled off snow when had to. If this winter still has a 10" storm in store for us, my vote probably changes...but I'm not holding my breath.

06-07 had a lot of bad for sure.

Hands down 2007-2008 as I was still up in Mount Pleasant then and we had something unreal like 80-90" of snow including ~20" with the Super Tuesday snowstorm and a severe storm in January with hail and funnel clouds which originated in WI where there were tornadoes.

1. 2009-2010

2. 2007-2008

3. 2006-2007

4. 2010-2011

5. 2008-2009

In my lifetime that I remember I love 2004 December lifetime snowfall record of 15 freaking inches..1996 was nice too if I remember correctly. There was another year that it snowed every week from Thanksgiving till Mid late February. Can't remember the year.

'06-07 I can't even remember

'07-08 Was unbeatable...easily my favorite and it will take a lot to top that.

'08-09 Was just disappointing for some reason...I know we got hammered but there just wasn't too much I enjoyed about this winter.

'09-10 Was below average until the EPIC February...good memories about that February.

'10-11 My month in Michigan was average but now we're having an unreal February in Oklahoma. Minus points for how they deal with snowstorms down here though...smh. 7.5" of snow should not close school for 4 days haha.

I'll rank them:

'07-08

'09-10

'08-09

'10-11

But all 4 winters have had something different to offer...namely:

'07-08 Three epic snowstorms.

'08-09 One huge storm and a lot of nickles, dimes, and quarters.

'09-10 Epic February

'10-11 My first Blizzard Warning in 12 years and now another WSW.

Since everyone else is doing an evaluation

06-07: I will admit, I have to hand it to this season for the epic LES. Not only did I see thundersnow squalls in October of all months (the same event that brought Buffalo its record breaking LES snowstorm), I saw some of the best cumulonimbus clouds (the type you would expect in the summertime when hail storms are brewing) during LES events mixed with sunshine. In addition, while we didn't see any actual snow events or winter storms, it seemed like every other day featured an enhanced 1-3" lake effect snow event, and it is hard to beat the snowfall lrates and flake size despite the light snowfalls they brought. It easily places above '09-'10.

07-08: Again, obvious reasons. No other season comes close.

08-09: I agree with SEMIweather for this season about the disappointment. Despite the well above average snowfall, we were nickeled & dimed to death throughout January and then winter virtually ended (other than the April 5th-6th bust) in February. I want to say this was the season that also featured an insane LES squall that produced literal whiteout conditions (went from sunny to 15 minute whiteout and back to sunny). Actually, it featured two of them. Another one followed behind the 4-6" snowfall event in January (the same one that produced the nasty ice storm in Kentucky)

09-10: Yeah, definitely the worst season out of all of them. If it wasn't for the anomalous February it would have easily been my worst winter ever. And even with our anomalous February the ending was too abrupt fpr my taste (within a week we went from 6" of snow and temps in the 20s to no snow and temps in the 60s).

10-11: I can best describe it as a combination of 09-10 and 08-09. 09-10 because the bore during the first half the winter was very reminiscent of how boring the first half of 09-10 was. 08-09 because of how deep and constant the snowpack is.

Archived