• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Are you satisfied with your snowfall climo?

Fozz

70 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with your snowfall average?

• Yes, I am content with my snow climo
    • Not really, I wish I averaged more snow
    • No, it snows too much and winters are too long

That's an interesting question. I like that my location has one of the higher climo numbers for the area (~25" per year) but I usually end up liking more. While I absolutely love big thumps like last year, I actually prefer snowcover that lasts. To me, that epitomizes winter. In that regard, this year has been a good year for me in Clarksburg. I've had more snowcover days with my 19" of snow this year than I did last year with my 87" and, while it has not been bone chilling cold this year, the sustained below normal temps have kept the snow around and kept ponds and the C&O canal frozen so that most days this winter, I've been able to go sledding, hiking in the snow or ice skating with the kids whenever I wanted. Quintecential winter experiences, IMO.

My wife and I expected that we would eventually retire in someplace like Vermont so that we can better guarantee consistant snowy winters to go along with the other seasons but we are now leaning towards Garret County in Western Maryland. The winters are a bit more predictable with more consistant and higher quantities of snowfall but, also, the growing season is longer, there are less dreary days and blazing hot days in summer are exceedingly rare. To me, this spot right here is heaven: Google Map link to heaven on earth...

That's an interesting question. I like that my location has one of the higher climo numbers for the area (~25" per year) but I usually end up liking more. While I absolutely love big thumps like last year, I actually prefer snowcover that lasts. To me, that epitomizes winter. In that regard, this year has been a good year for me in Clarksburg. I've had more snowcover days with my 19" of snow this year than I did last year with my 87" and, while it has not been bone chilling cold this year, the sustained below normal temps have kept the snow around and kept ponds and the C&O canal frozen so that most days this winter, I've been able to go sledding, hiking in the snow or ice skating with the kids whenever I wanted. Quintecential winter experiences, IMO.

My wife and I expected that we would eventually retire in someplace like Vermont so that we can better guarantee consistant snowy winters to go along with the other seasons but we are now leaning towards Garret County in Western Maryland. The winters are a bit more predictable with more consistant and higher quantities of snowfall but, also, the growing season is longer, there are less dreary days and blazing hot days in summer are exceedingly rare. To me, this spot right here is heaven: Google Map link to heaven on earth...

Good choice. ;)

I am satisfied with my location for snow. I get about 35 inches annually. I am in a prime position both geographically and in elevation for a decent sized (8+ inches) storm each winter even though it doesn't always happen. I don't care for the 1-3" nuisance snows so living in a lake effect area would not be my thing. Deformation bands often set up over Carroll County which make the biggie storms even bigger. There is a reasonably good chance of a 4+ incher as early as mid-November or as late as the end of March. That is a long enough stretch of snow potential to satisfy me. The 22" of snow so far is about normal as of this date. I am already getting tired of it, probably has more to do with the prolonged cold and wind than the snow/shoveling. I cannot at this point see wanting more snow on average than I am getting here.

I am not satisfied with it. Although my area (northern Montgomery Co) may "average" 22 or 24 inches, that mathematical average comes from one huge winter once every 6 or 8 years, with many dreary winters in between. We have months of bare trees, coat-wearing cold, and high bills, but in a TYPICAL winter maybe get a couple of snows with a 10-15" total.

I wish I lived in Denver -- about 70" average, with lots of very warm breaks in between. It's like the opposite world from here -- instead of cold and dry then warm up and rain....it's cold and snow then sun and warm.

I'm not satisfied, and that's saying something considering I live in one of the best microclimos along 95 (Baltimore being the prime east coast spot for 20+ inch storms). We always get more than the surrounding areas.

I completely agrees with BlizzardNole. The only reason my average is around 30 or so is because of big winters that drop 45 plus. There are so many winters that end up between 2-12 inches that are miserable. Even this year we are close to average, probably about 18 or so where I am, and I am nowhere near satisfied. I don't think I could get sick of big snowstorms with only one or two a year. If I lived in the mounts of Cali maybe then I would get sick of it but otherwise it's always the more the better for me.

And I also agree with the snowcover factor. When it snows I want it to stick around, and that usually doesn't happen around year. This year has actually been very good with snowcover, still a healthy cover from the thundersnow, but it's been below average temp wise all year.

If I were to move somewhere for my perfect snow climo it would either be extreme NE Maryland - which I find to be the bull's eye for big snow - or somewhere like central Connecticut, where they just get absolutely drilled every year and it sticks around.

If I were to move somewhere for my perfect snow climo it would either be extreme NE Maryland - which I find to be the bull's eye for big snow - or somewhere like central Connecticut, where they just get absolutely drilled every year and it sticks around.

Extreme NE MD does not do as well as the more western northern tier counties in the long run:

Less than DC in spots:

md-snow-avg.gif

The average for Morgan County is between 30 and 35 inches. I would be completely happy with like 1/10th of that...LOL

Loved , loved, loved snow when i was younger. Could never get enough. Then i grew up and realized its basically a pain in the ass for everyday life in the Winter. Makes everything more difficult. And there is really nothing you can do with it unless you live at a Ski resort....:snowman:

Extreme NE MD does not do as well as the more western northern tier counties in the long run:

Less than DC in spots:

md-snow-avg.gif

Wow that's eye opening, I did not realize that was the case. I guess the past couple years have just given me that representative heuristic. Well I still wouldn't want to live in extreme western MD. Lake effect snow is not nearly as exciting.

I guess north central MD wouldn't be so bad.

Very cool climo map. The fall line is strikingly obvious and the elevation effect is clearly visible. I worked in Mt. Airy for 5 years and it was cool seeing how different the snowfall was in the 28 miles I drove each day. The valley in Frederick Co shows is effect pretty clearly on the map too.

• 2 weeks later...

I am satisfied with my snowfall climo - What I am NOT satisfied with is late spring weather in mid FEB.

It is Feb 18 - THIS IS OUR TIME - Feb 11 thru 18 for snows - and guess what - WE SQUANDERED IT WITH MID 70S AND LOWS NEAR 60.

We're gonna have MONTHS to enjoy spring - but WE HAD TO HAVE 70S IN MID FEB.

I love my climo - Just HATE that goddamned SE Ridge

The ground is nice and warm - It will take severe heavy snows to get accums - best of luck with that in N VA in mid/late Feb - Life really sucks

I am satisfied with my snowfall climo - What I am NOT satisfied with is late spring weather in mid FEB.

It is Feb 18 - THIS IS OUR TIME - Feb 11 thru 18 for snows - and guess what - WE SQUANDERED IT WITH MID 70S AND LOWS NEAR 60.

We're gonna have MONTHS to enjoy spring - but WE HAD TO HAVE 70S IN MID FEB.

I love my climo - Just HATE that goddamned SE Ridge

The ground is nice and warm - It will take severe heavy snows to get accums - best of luck with that in N VA in mid/late Feb - Life really sucks

This is all part of our climo, especially in La Nina. The DC area CAN get spring weather in mid-February, and it is something you have to be prepared for if you live between DC and Fredericksburg.

CT CT blows for snowfall, it is all valley and shadowed alot of the time from the good snows. You want to me in NW CT or NE CT for the good snows. NW CT is good for upslope snows from some LE feeder bands and NE CT does well with the right track near the Benchmark. Otherwise you are just better off going to North central Mass and or southern NH. In a La nina year typically they clean up.

I had 100" two seasons in a row in SNH in Nina seasons, but dont go to central CT/Ct river valley.

That map is low around here.

Here too

In the past this map has been compared to maps of PA and historical data of specific areas around the state, and the conclusion is that the graphics average snow is lower than the norm in Northeast MD.

Still, the difference between where I live (Fallston) and Bel Air is pretty significant. These differences were especially apparent this year.

Here too

In the past this map has been compared to southern PA maps and historical data of specific areas around the state, and the conclusion is that the graphics average snow is lower than the norm in Northeast MD.

Still, the difference between where I live (Fallston) and Bel Air is pretty significant. These differences were especially apparent this year.

What differences are there? They seem to be less than 5 miles apart with similar elevation and distance from the bay.

What differences are there? They seem to be less than 5 miles apart with similar elevation and distance from the bay.

I should clarify: Where I live is on the NW fringe of Fallston.. it's actually considered Upper Crossroads. The difference between this location and Bel Air is about 300' of elevation and 8-10 miles in a NW/SE direction.

In borderline or changeover storms, the difference between these two places is pretty incredible. For example, the big wet snow storm a few weeks ago gave me 10-12", while Bel Air had about half of that.The snow had completely melted in Bel Air a week ago, while there is still some one the ground here now.

However, the biggest difference a short distance can make is around I-95.

Maryland-Elevation-Map.gif

In some places there are 400'+ elevation differences in just 5-10 miles!

I should clarify: Where I live is on the NW fringe of Fallston.. it's actually considered Upper Crossroads. The difference between this location and Bel Air is about 300' of elevation and 8-10 miles in a NW/SE direction.

In borderline or changeover storms, the difference between these two places is pretty incredible. For example, the big wet snow storm a few weeks ago gave me 10-12", while Bel Air had about half of that.The snow had completely melted in Bel Air a week ago, while there is still some one the ground here.

However, the biggest difference a short distance can make is around I-95.

400'+ elevation differences in just 5-10 miles!

Very good map, Chuck. The fall line can clearly be seen, and I think some people underestimate its significance in the winter.

Archived