• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NE OK/ NW AR/ SE KS/ SW MO Fall 2011

JoMo

Has anyone heard from jomo ????? Im in Joplin too a little north of where it went through and I cant remember if he is on west side of town near south end or what ??? just curious to see if anyone has word from him if he was hit or his power just out ???

According to a previous post from him, he is on the southwest side.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone heard from jomo ????? Im in Joplin too a little north of where it went through and I cant remember if he is on west side of town near south end or what ??? just curious to see if anyone has word from him if he was hit or his power just out ???

He hasnt posted since right before the tornado hit. Was worried he was close to the path based on his earlier post. From all accounts he lives on the far SW side of Joplin, based on a response to a question I asked him last summer.

ok thanks Moweather this is a grave tragedy for our area ..... Does anyone know about the rest of this week for severe for our area does it look this badagain for our neck of the woods ??/ as far as tornadic setups go ??/ from what i ahev heard it sounds like ef-4 damage .. here in joplin.. but just curious as far as the rest of week goes for severe here how does it look ...

I hope everyone is doing ok. I have tried to keep up with the thread but it has been crazy down here. My family is all ok. 8 people from my work are homeless. Also my wife lost her job as the business was lost. It has been crazy. I have some great videos from our several tower cams I will have to post. I was at work during the whole event. In fact I came in around 3pm. I posted on my facebook at 2pm that I have a bad feeling, well that came true. I did wall to wall through the event as it tracked through the city. I am just very upset and mad that we lost 140 people. I keep asking could I have done more?

Doug Heady

Here is my story form the May 22nd, 2011 Joplin tornado.

1pm: I am outside and working on getting the boat de winterized for the season. However, I was amazed at how warm and windy it was. I saw the big puffy cumulus clouds and I just had a thought, get on the computer and see what is going on. I knew we had a severe threat for that day, but I wasn't watching it very closely as it was my day off. So I go inside and look at the set-up. We were in a moderate risk for severe weather and the airmass was extremely unstable. We were pushing 6000 joules on cape which is very high. I though I better finish up the boat quickly and tarp and get it put back up fast before any storms decide to blow up. I call meteorologist Brian Davis (our weekend meteorologist) and tell him to get into work now, you need to watch these storms as they blow up.

1:40pm facebook post.

Extremely unstable airmass. Tornado watch is in effect with extremely strong supercells blowing over the next couple of hours. The main threat is large hail and strong tornadoes. Looks like I better go to work.

3pm: Arrive at work with a severe thunderstorm warning in eastern Wilson county and western Labette county KS. I continue to watch these storms closely.

4pm: Tornado warning out for eastern Labette county as funnel clouds are being reported. The storm continues to sink slowly to the SE.

5pm: Tornado warning continue for eastern Cherokee county KS. The storm is getting ready to move into the western metro of the Joplin area. At this time I call my wife who lives in the northern metro area. I tell her to keep her phone near her. We have a plan on what to do if a tornado approaches my home. My house got hit in the Carl Junction tornado in 2003, so I have always figured out a plan on how to keep my family safe. I tell my wife I will ONLY call you if your in the direct path of the storm.

5:30pm: Confirmed reports of funnel clouds east of Galena and the western side of Joplin. I go to wall to wall coverage. But I have no idea what is about to happen.

5:45pm: Still wall to wall coverage with confirmed reports of a tornado on the SW side of Joplin. I continue with my wall to wall showing the radar and in pinpointed where I thin the tornado maybe. We start using tower cam at 7th and Rangeline and looking back to the west southwest. However, from our angle the tornado is rain rapped. I can't see the monster wedge working through. I continue with the tornado warnings.

5:50pm: I can see glimpses of the wedge tornado on our tower cam. At this time it is approaching main and 20th street. I know it is doing damage, but I didn't know to what extent. At this time we weren't getting any reports in on what it was doing. All I knew was it was tearing through down and we were getting some damage.

5:55pm: Debre is being picked up on our tower cam as the tornado smashes into Rangeline road. At this point I realize this is a major tornado doing massive damage across the Joplin metro. our tower cam goes out as it looses power as the tornado passes Rangeline. I continue the wall to wall coverage of the tornado passing through the city. Still at this point in time I know it has done damage, but I still don't know to what extent.

6:05pm: I continue with the coverage and watching the hook on the radar very close to the 249 and I-44 intersection. I remember thinking this massive tornado is going to go right across the interstate. I get some damage reports in of power polls down on the west side of Joplin. Next report says some house structures damaged. So I knew we had damage but again I still didn't know how bad it was going to be. My mentor Bryan Busby try's to call me from Kansas City. He is seeing if I am ok and trying to get info from me to get out on the news in Kansas City.

6:20pm: Tornado warning continue for eastern Jasper and northern Newton County. Also Barry county as it is now just dropping some brief smaller tornados in Barry county. I am continuing to stay on air and go over these storms and give the damage reports that are coming in. At this time I knew St. Johns took a hard hit. I report that houses are gone and people are trapped in their homes. Also at this time I get reports in of Rangeline hard hit and 40 cars and semi's flipped on I-44. This is when it hit me that this is going to become a historic event.

7pm: We still have numerous severe thunderstorm warning across the region. I continue the coverage with our severe thunderstorm warnings and reporting the damage reports. Everyone is in at the station now helping out. Dowe is getting ready to come down to the studio so we can tag team this event. He goes over damage and I go over what is going on at that time and what has happened. I get a call from my wife saying she find her sister. She asked me if she was in the path. I told her yes, her house probably got hit. I also find out at least 5 people at our work went through the tornado, but are unaccounted for at that time.

7:30pm: Severe thunderstorms continue. Dowe and I are still on air giving the lastest damage reports. This is the time we get in a number of 24 dead. I remember thinking during the May 4th, 2003 outbreak with 3 EF-4 or 5 tornadoes that ripped through the viewing area at the same time, we lost 22 people. Now just under 2 hours after this tornado hit Joplin, the death toll was already higher than that. Finally my sister in law is found. She was not home when the tornado hit. I find out that 8 people at work got hit by the tornado and at least one is injured. My phone is over loaded with family calling to see if we are all right. I send a brief face book message out saying "I am ok, my family is ok. Very busy at work and I will get back to you all later."

10pm: Dowe and I continue are live coverage and we now know the full effect of what has happened. We both sit in disbelief as we are reporting this massive historic tornado and what it did.

Sunday May 22nd, 2011 with never leave my mind. This is the second tornado to hit the Joplin metro in 8 years. I knew that day was going to be a big day by looking at how unstable the atmosphere was. That is why I decided to go to work on that Sunday afternoon. I remember once I got into work thinking how similar this is to May 4th, 2003. It was warm and very windy with high dewpoints and just sticky outside. Just like on May 4th. It was a Sunday afternoon, just like May 4th. When I got to work I looked at the TV and saw that golf was playing on KOAM, just like May 4th.

This tornado had plenty of warning lead time. We had numerous tornado warnings as it working into the metro area. However, this storm was mainly producing just funnel clouds. The problem here is we saw this storm produce a funnel cloud to a major tornado in about 1 minute of time. And it just happened to drop in west Joplin. I feel like I did everything I could. I knew 5 weeks in advance that we would have a good chance for severe weather on that day by using my long range forecasting pattern. But I can't tell that far in advance that large tornadoes are possible. A few days out I can tell that we could have some tornadoes. Once Sunday rolled around, that is when I know strong tornadoes are very possible in our viewing area. It just happened to strike a highly populated area.

The past two weeks have been kind of a blur. I feel so bad for everyone that was effected by this terrible event. I live and breath weather. I love winter storms, I love severe weather and I love to watch tornadoes. But when a tornado does damage and takes peoples life, it makes me sick to my stomach. My thoughts and prayers go out to everybody effected.

So what can we do? The most important thing is know when severe weather is possible. Pay attention to the weather on those days. Get weathercall. This is a produce that is only $7 dollars per year and will call your cell phone if you are in the direct path of the storm. Plus we have a business weathercall that lets you know if your business is in the path. Also for smart phone users, no matter where you are located if you cell phone signal is in the path of a storm you will get a call. When we have tornado warnings, take them seriously. I know that 9 out of 10 times they are usually funnel clouds or very weak tornadoes. The that one time will also get you. You have to look at each warning like this is the the one.

Thanks for your report, Joplinmet. I am reading so many heartrending stories out of Joplin. Yes, the majority of tor warnings are doppler indicated rotation or funnel clouds, but it only takes one like this going from weak to EF 5 in a very short time in a populated area to make all the difference in the world. Good reminder to take all tornado warnings very seriously and avoid the cry wolf syndrome.

Thanks Doug for your write up and for helping to keep as many people safe as possible.

Prior to the Joplin tornado, many people seemed to be rather complacent when a tornado warning was issued (I will admit that it seems SGF issues them much more easily than other NWS offices). Then a few days after the tornado and we had the severe weather, everyone was freaking out and running for shelter when raindrops started falling. There has to be a happy medium somewhere. I just wish we knew where it was. I am afraid that after a little more time people will become complacent again.

Thanks Doug for your write up and for helping to keep as many people safe as possible.

Prior to the Joplin tornado, many people seemed to be rather complacent when a tornado warning was issued (I will admit that it seems SGF issues them much more easily than other NWS offices). Then a few days after the tornado and we had the severe weather, everyone was freaking out and running for shelter when raindrops started falling. There has to be a happy medium somewhere. I just wish we knew where it was. I am afraid that after a little more time people will become complacent again.

That's for sure. Next time I see a couplet, I'm finding a basement!

Looks like a decent severe weather risk today. I am ready for the rain, but I hope Mother Nature doesn't get too out of hand. Hail parameters look pretty significant, as do wind profiles. I am thinking maybe a few storms with hail tennis ball sized and winds of 70 mph or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes. The following text comes from this morning's OUN forecast discussion:

PROLONGED PERIOD OF TEMPERATURES THAT COULD RIVAL SOME OF THE

MORE NOTABLE HEAT WAVES SINCE THE DUST BOWL YEARS.

:axe:

If that doesn't get your attention I don't know what does. Even the relatively conservative SGF has temps closing in on 100 in about a week.

Archived