mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
NE OK/ NW AR/ SE KS/ SW MO Fall 2011

JoMo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the realization is finally hiting me now from the big wind or ef5 , my dad and I talked today about thephone call he gave me when I was down in my shelter n he had saidhimself and my mom were in the closet where they live . Which is a block from kelsey - norman elementary school thats 2.5 blocks from the bad damage in their neighborhood, and I realized it could have the been last time I might have talked to them . damn thats shocking guys , sorry about this venting my swmo friends and neighbors I guess am wussing it out now and just venting . My apologies ..

I think the realization is finally hiting me now from the big wind or ef5 , my dad and I talked today about thephone call he gave me when I was down in my shelter n he had saidhimself and my mom were in the closet where they live . Which is a block from kelsey - norman elementary school thats 2.5 blocks from the bad damage in their neighborhood, and I realized it could have the been last time I might have talked to them . damn thats shocking guys , sorry about this venting my swmo friends and neighbors I guess am wussing it out now and just venting . My apologies ..

haha yeah I was about 2.5 blocks from it as well in a closet. After I saw what was left of that area Sunday night after the tornado I couldn't sleep at all, the sound of it just kept going through my head and how close it was and how I may not be here if it were about 3 blocks closer. Never have got the sound out of my head, I still hear it when I hear things like car washes, jet engines. and thunder... and when rolling thunder happens, I get a little panic that sets in if it doesn't stop in a few seconds. I'm in the area every day and a lot of lots are up for sale, people say they can't stand to see it or the memories of what once was and is gone is too much for them.

The jet noise of that thing stll rings inmy head everyday, at least that what I compare it too. I still get the nervous feeling when I hear a jet taking off from the airport , I live roughly a mile or a mile and a half from airport . But the rolling thunder sound is a good comparison too. It soundd like a flight of low and slow b-52 bombers flying over the house I used to rent by Warrensburg mo .I still tear up when I think about everyone that was hit injured or killed in this event,( tragedy more like it), it may not be manly per se, but I cry some when get over by 20th and conn or by cunningham park since thats wehre we saw some of the very bad things that happened to some of our neighbors in town . I can definitely see where you're coming from JoMo alot of people not rebuilding in the areas hit, becasue of the bad memories of what happened or remembering what was . We all know someone that was hurt, killed , or directly affected whether it was ourselves or neighbor , friend or relative. We just stick to rebuilding as best we can and never forget who and what we are . Its a tough crappy thing to say like that but we are tough people in this area . Resilient too we have things happen regularly around here it seems, but not this magnitude though. Anyway we just need to be there for our realtions and friend and lets all astick together in this we will get through it together and see it through..

Wow this is getting so frustrating watching rain go N, S, and E of here all the time. My yard and garden (what's left of it) are like the Sahara desert now. The last good rain IMBY was was back on July 3rd. By good rain I mean over .50. Just today most of the Ozarks are getting good rain and did over this past weekend as well. The SW most 3 counties in MO are in the big screw zone lately. Sorry guys just had to rant for a few due to major disgust.

Wow this is getting so frustrating watching rain go N, S, and E of here all the time. My yard and garden (what's left of it) are like the Sahara desert now. The last good rain IMBY was was back on July 3rd. By good rain I mean over .50. Just today most of the Ozarks are getting good rain and did over this past weekend as well. The SW most 3 counties in MO are in the big screw zone lately. Sorry guys just had to rant for a few due to major disgust.

It rained here today. Usually it's been just north of here. Hoping we get more rain for all of us though.

It rained here today. Usually it's been just north of here. Hoping we get more rain for all of us though.

Yeah at least the forecast sounds a bit more promising. The NCEP 5-day precip forecast looks impressive for this area but we've seen that before too. I'd just like to see a general rain for a couple of days along with the cooler temps.

Yeah at least the forecast sounds a bit more promising. The NCEP 5-day precip forecast looks impressive for this area but we've seen that before too. I'd just like to see a general rain for a couple of days along with the cooler temps.

It's really nice in Joplin right now. 79 degrees :)

Yeah tell me about it. It seems we are downstream from you on most of these near misses. It is especially disheartening to see the outflow boundaries race through and trigger something just off to the south. Saturday was a prime example, but I'd rather not dwell on the fact a flood advisory right nearby. Just had one go wide left (again) and it looks like the line coming down now is destined to go wide right (per usual this summer). I am not starting to doubt that 70% chance of storms is high enough for us to get more than a few hundredths of an inch.

post-742-0-56946400-1312842057.jpg

Pretty scary looking. Glad we got rain but I freak out when it storms now. It'll wear off I hope.

Looking at Doug Heady's FB page there is no small amount of stress for metro Joplin it seems with these storms. It is hard when there is a bad experience because although it happens once in reality, it gets replayed over and over in so many ways, almost as if it has a life of its own within your head. I remember when I was younger I was fearless about the dentist. No novacaine for me, "let's not waste time, just drill me". Then I had one bad and then one really bad bloody dental experience and it has never left me. I no longer dwell on an upcoming dental visit the day before, but I still need to put some effort into it. Jomo, I am pretty sure it will wear off gradually. It might be tough next spring but I have no doubt SW MO will be the best prepared place on the planet for severe storms.

Looking at Doug Heady's FB page there is no small amount of stress for metro Joplin it seems with these storms. It is hard when there is a bad experience because although it happens once in reality, it gets replayed over and over in so many ways, almost as if it has a life of its own within your head. I remember when I was younger I was fearless about the dentist. No novacaine for me, "let's not waste time, just drill me". Then I had one bad and then one really bad bloody dental experience and it has never left me. I no longer dwell on an upcoming dental visit the day before, but I still need to put some effort into it. Jomo, I am pretty sure it will wear off gradually. It might be tough next spring but I have no doubt SW MO will be the best prepared place on the planet for severe storms.

I'm getting a steel above ground tornado shelter which will help a great deal I think. I've seen what a tornado does to homes and I don't have any place to go right now. I'm sure that once it's in place, I will feel a lot safer. I've been somewhat nervous since the Picher tornado went just south of Joplin. I was like, ehhh what's the chance of an EF3+ hitting me? heh... I never really worried about storms until May 22nd when I realized that it could happen really quickly and no matter how much 'planning' I did on what to do, when it was coming, I was like a deer in headlights. That brought me out of the denial that I was living in I guess. I'm getting used to the sound of 'rolling thunder' already, which used to freak me out.

I am glad everyone got the rain. I measured .95" in my rain gauge. Looks like more is on the way late tonight or tomorrow.

Looks like everyone in the "Joplin - Monett - Eureka Corridor" did OK. We had three separate downpours totaling 1.75".

Plus as a nice bonus, a rare morning rainbow.

post-742-0-67872300-1312908077.jpg

The rain was nice. I guess there was a QLCS spin-up tornado last night near Locust Grove, in Cherokee county, OK around 3-4 AM

*** 1 FATAL, 2 INJ *** DOUBLE WIDE MOBILE HOME DESTROYED...2 SINGLE WIDE MOBILE HOMES DAMAGED...GARAGE DESTROYED...WORKSHOP DESTROYED...NUMEROUS TREES SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. PREVIOUSLY LISTED AS TSTM WIND DAMAGE.TORNADO WAS RATED EF2 AND WAS ON THE GROUND FOR 5 MILES. MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH WAS 400 YARDS.

• 2 weeks later...

First off before I add a few pics from tonights light show outside, JoMo how are you? I havent been on here in a few months...been really busy this summer with work. Got a few lil nasty storms pop up here tonight and wanted to see how good of lightning shots I could nab with this camera. Some came out well but just wanted to add a few here for you weather nuts. I swear in the one pic its a funnel cloud but I'm unsure. I have seen alot of rain bands and can make them out on the edges of the pic but inside those rainbands I just dont know. Ive never seen a tornado first hand or a funnel cloud yet out here so maybe you guys know...sorry If I sound dumb I'm just not as weather inclined as most of you are. Enjoy and hope everyone is doing good!!!

post-685-0-32102300-1314164825.jpg

awesome pics NwWhiteOut. I'm doing fine, just keeping an eye on the rebuilding. I've been updating the main forum with information, additional videos etc.

Crossposted this here since you all live in the area:

Extreme Makeover Home Edition announced today that they will be coming to Joplin on October 19th to take on multiple projects and they need a lot of volunteers. I've heard rumors that they are building 7 houses in 7 days but they announced they would be doing multiple projects.

To volunteer, head to this website:

http://www.joinextreme.com/Joplin

Im glad to hear your doing good jomo! So what do you think about that second pic i posted? The pics i took right before it i didnt see that funnel looking thing in them so who knows. Im totally clueless on these shots. Most people I showed them to say it did look like a small funnel coming down but who knows for sure. Anyways, did you have to rebuild or get a new home or what man? Was yours to badly damaged? I know I could just go back and read the forums and find out probly but I just dont have the time to do so right now sorry. Hang in there my friend and take care

Im glad to hear your doing good jomo! So what do you think about that second pic i posted? The pics i took right before it i didnt see that funnel looking thing in them so who knows. Im totally clueless on these shots. Most people I showed them to say it did look like a small funnel coming down but who knows for sure. Anyways, did you have to rebuild or get a new home or what man? Was yours to badly damaged? I know I could just go back and read the forums and find out probly but I just dont have the time to do so right now sorry. Hang in there my friend and take care

Not really sure. It looks like some scud, what part of the storm were you taking pics of?

No, I was 3 blocks away from the serious damage. Lost some shingles and the garage door got hit with some debris but other than that, got really lucky.

Not really sure. It looks like some scud, what part of the storm were you taking pics of?

No, I was 3 blocks away from the serious damage. Lost some shingles and the garage door got hit with some debris but other than that, got really lucky.

If I was to guess Id say it was probly the south, southwestern side of it those shots came from. Im glad to hear nothing was seriously damaged on your place man. Still sad and unfortanate for many others.

Archived