• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
NE OK/ NW AR/ SE KS/ SW MO Fall 2011

JoMo

I am going to do an extensive blog here in a bit with our rain tonight and what is coming up. The pattern right now is just shy of 50 days. I have been watching this trend for about 2 months now. But there are cycles with in cycles, but I am pretty sure that is where we are at. If it stretched out, we shouldn't be anymore than 52 days, but I am banking shy of 50. I will show you examples and post it on here later.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can read my winter forecast at http://www.instantweathermaps.com/wf_2011-2012.php

Here's an additional section for Tulsa in particular: Temps below average to well below average; it could be a roller-coaster ride but I don’t see many true warm periods occurring during the winter. Precipitation will above average, if only slightly – as I said earlier, areas east of I-35 can kiss the drought goodbye. Total snowfall should be 15-30+”; a top-10 snowfall winter is very likely. There could be numerous winter storms, many of which could be quite powerful. There is at least a 25% chance of having the third winter in a row with at least one blizzard warning issued. Temperatures will likely fall below zero at least once this winter, something that has only happened during one time period since the turn of the century. There is an elevated risk of ice storms, especially during December. Month-by-month: December continues the beginning of a cold pattern. First measurable snow could occur around the 7th-9th. The time frame of December 20 through January 15 could feature some very powerful winter storms. The chance of a white Christmas is somewhat elevated, at around 30%. January looks downright cold, with the storm track continuing to show its strength as well. Quite ironically, the period around Groundhog Day may once again be one to watch. February appears to be very cold as well. The pattern starts flipping to warm sometime in March, although this cold pattern should be about as easy to get rid of as the warm pattern was this past summer – that is, not easy at all.

Some huge rain amts forecasted by Tulsa coming up over the next 3 days. Heaviest appears to stay south of us here in SW MO, but still some nice amts coming hopefully.

You got 11 inches?

looks like it was 1 to 3". It looks like the Oklahoma/Arkansas border is really pulling out of the drought.

post-1182-0-78942800-1321992381.jpg

You can read my winter forecast at http://www.instantwe...f_2011-2012.php

Here's an additional section for Tulsa in particular: Temps below average to well below average; it could be a roller-coaster ride but I don’t see many true warm periods occurring during the winter. Precipitation will above average, if only slightly – as I said earlier, areas east of I-35 can kiss the drought goodbye. Total snowfall should be 15-30+”; a top-10 snowfall winter is very likely. There could be numerous winter storms, many of which could be quite powerful. There is at least a 25% chance of having the third winter in a row with at least one blizzard warning issued. Temperatures will likely fall below zero at least once this winter, something that has only happened during one time period since the turn of the century. There is an elevated risk of ice storms, especially during December. Month-by-month: December continues the beginning of a cold pattern. First measurable snow could occur around the 7th-9th. The time frame of December 20 through January 15 could feature some very powerful winter storms. The chance of a white Christmas is somewhat elevated, at around 30%. January looks downright cold, with the storm track continuing to show its strength as well. Quite ironically, the period around Groundhog Day may once again be one to watch. February appears to be very cold as well. The pattern starts flipping to warm sometime in March, although this cold pattern should be about as easy to get rid of as the warm pattern was this past summer – that is, not easy at all.

Last winter was awesome here. I just don't see 20+" season snowfall and -18 degrees happening here again anytime soon. Not say it can't happen....

And it gets cold and everyone returns on schedule, lol

Yep and wait til the first snowstorm comes lol! And then we all get pissy when we dont get snow and instead rain or it turns to a northerly track haha. Is all good though. I think this winter is gonna be such a roller coaster and Im really concerned with ice storms this season myself.

LOL I love my forecast for the weekend.....OOOPS lol. First time ive seen this kinda boo boo. Maybe supposed to say 10 percent or 20? lol

Saturday Night: A 0 percent chance of light snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Wind chill values as low as 22. Northwest wind between 14 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph.

LOL I love my forecast for the weekend.....OOOPS lol. First time ive seen this kinda boo boo. Maybe supposed to say 10 percent or 20? lol

Saturday Night: A 0 percent chance of light snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Wind chill values as low as 22. Northwest wind between 14 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph.

Whoops!

12z GFS looks interesting in the longer term, Euro not so much

What time frame are you referring to? How many hours out?

Models are having trouble with even the shorter term and what to do with that storm to the south of us, but on the 12z GFS it was 204-240 or so. 18z GFS has the freezing line basically bisecting Arkansas from the SW to NE at 228. Not a big system and it won't even happen but it's something to watch, lol

EDIT: 00z GFS update...... What is this, El-Nino?

usasnodisfc228d.gif

EDIT: 00z GFS update...... What is this, El-Nino?

I've been wondering the same thing for the past few months, as several systems have tracked across the Desert SW in a fashion we hadn't seen for quite awhile (reminiscent of 2007, if anything). Would sure be nice to get a continuation of that through the cold season and even into the spring.

Looks like the location of that closed low will giving forecasters headaches over the next 24-36 hours or so... NAM wants to give Memphis a nice snow.

If you follow Doug's theory, the pattern we are in right now is part of the cycle that will come back around again when it is colder. I think it may be an interesting winter.

Liking the cold, rainy dark day today.

The storm systems lately and in the longer range are kind of strange in the way they are behaving and taking more of a southern track.

Lacking a good cold air source or this may be more impressive if it were to even happen.

usasnodisfc183.gif

06-12z GFS both missed the phase.

Storm system is dropping into the SW and becoming cut off, N stream system which had been at least partially phasing in earlier runs is now not phasing and staying farther north which completely misses the cutoff. The end result is the cold stays well north of here while the cutoff meanders eastward and causes rain. I hope the Euro has a different solution.

usaabsv500mb150u.gif

We don't want them to phase together. We want the first initial wave to give us the cold air advection. The newer models are slower on bringing the SW wave out. It will come out, the pattern says it will come out. It is just a question of when and how strong will it be. Watch the models this week, they will be all over the place.

Archived