• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPRINGFIELD MO

556 PM CST FRI FEB 4 2011

UPDATE

/ISSUED 545 PM CST FRI FEB 4 2011/

SNOW HAD SPREAD NORTH INTO SOUTHERN MISSOURI AND EXTREME SOUTHEAST KANSAS AT LATE AFTERNOON AS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW LIFTED NORTHEAST ACROSS THE RED RIVER INTO SOUTHEAST OKLAHOMA.

A DEFORMATION ZONE WILL TAKE SHAPE ACROSS SOUTHERN MISSOURI THIS EVENING AS THE UPPER LIFTS NORTHEAST INTO NORTHERN ARKANSAS. THE LATEST MODEL RUNS DEPICT SNOW PERSISTING THROUGH MUCH OF THE NIGHT. ONE TO THREE INCHES OF ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED BUT HIGHER ACCUMULATIONS ARE BECOMING A CONCERN.

HIGHER ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 5 INCHES ARE LIKELY IN SOME AREAS GIVEN THE LONGER DURATION AND POTENTIAL OF HEAVIER SNOW RATES WITHIN THE REGION OF ENHANCED LIFT JUST NORTH OF THE UPPER LOW. CANNOT RULE OUT 6 INCH AMOUNTS ESPECIALLY NEAR THE ARKANSAS BORDER WHERE REPORTS UP TO 4 INCHES HAVE ALREADY BEEN OBSERVED. FEEL AT THIS TIME THAT HIGHER TOTALS WILL BE MORE LOCALIZED IN NATURE BUT WILL CLOSELY MONITOR THE NEED FOR A WINTER STORM WARNING.

FOSTER

hmm....0z NAM is taking it up a notch. Interesting.

By 30....it's almost like the 18z RGEM. A band of heavy snow JUST to my southeast. Wow, quite the development.

When you compare last night's 00z runs to what it looks like will happen, it almost borders on a colossal failure. Really been a while since I've seen something like this...we're not talking about minor shifts with tight gradients here.

:lmao: at the 00z NAM. Even I in Detroit get 2-4" tomorrow and Toledo may need a warning.

I'm not surprised though, the models may still be playing catch up with this one yet given how intense the shortwave is.

crazy how moist this got from 6z today...just texted all my drivers with the "no drinking warning" for tmmrw

Archived