• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb. 4th - 5th Snow Event

Powerball

Trying to remember when Ive seen such a deep snow pack over SEMI. Its been a long time. When I was a kid I can remember playing in deep snow..But when your a kid everything is new and overdone.:snowman:

lol, "only" ended up with 4.1" of fresh powder imby, depth 15". I say "only" because lots of 5-6" totals to my NW, and I expected the heaviest to fall right along the river. Jokes aside, it is GORGEOUS outside and the snow is DEEP. It reminds me of being in the U.P. (much of which ironically has less snowpack than we do now). Since the snowpack has so much water in it, its actually a chore to walk in it lol, a chore I dont mind one bit. DTW had 4.8" with a depth of 16".

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's beautiful out there, but with 5-7" just to my NW, for the 2nd time this week I'm left wanting a little bit.

Heh, I kinda feel the same. 6" totals just a mere 30 miles to my east...of course for a storm that wasn't "model realized" until 24 or less hours out, I/we should probably feel a little lucky to get what we did. The 3.6" we got here is always better than nada. :lol:

Heh, I kinda feel the same. 6" totals just a mere 30 miles to my east...of course for a storm that wasn't "model realized" until 24 or less hours out, I/we should probably feel a little lucky to get what we did. The 3.6" we got here is always better than nada. :lol:

True, true. But with snow it's tough not to get greedy.

Dude! You're still 14 inches ahead of me. :gun_bandana:

True, true. But with snow it's tough not to get greedy.

No doubt. As we're moving up through the top 10 list for LAF, I feel this sense of needing to maximize every single event. Reality is setting in that spring really isn't that far away...but enough of those silly thoughts for now.

No doubt. As we're moving up through the top 10 list for LAF, I feel this sense of needing to maximize every single event. Reality is setting in that spring really isn't that far away...but enough of those silly thoughts for now.

We're probably approaching the "peak" of winter in terms of snowdepth and frequency of snowfall events. Gotta get out there and enjoy it while it lasts. Not to get too overdramatic. March is still a good snowstorm potential month. However the warmth of spring starts to flex its muscles enough that it's tough to maintain that wintry feel beyond a couple of days.

We're probably approaching the "peak" of winter in terms of snowdepth and frequency of snowfall events. Gotta get out there and enjoy it while it lasts. Not to get too overdramatic. March is still a good snowstorm potential month. However the warmth of spring starts to flex its muscles enough that it's tough to maintain that wintry feel beyond a couple of days.

Very true my friend. We probably had a deeper snow pack back in December than right now here, by maybe an inch or two, but it looks/feels like winter peak right now when you look around here at the snow cover, piles, and what not. Pretty awesome really. But this "southern" real winter in central Indiana starts losing some of its effectiveness as we get deeper into February. And as you said, March can still produce, but the winter "feel" is less so.

With respect to the winter feel right now, I think I'm going to go around town tomorrow morning and take some pics of the scenes. There are some pretty epic snow piles in the parking lots that I want to document. :lol:

DTX snowfall total map.

snow201102052229.png

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...STORM TOTALS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI

911 PM EST SAT FEB 5 2011

STORM TOTAL SNOW REPORTS

LOCATION SNOWFALL DURATION

(INCHES) (HOURS) LAT LON

...MACOMB COUNTY...

MACOMB TOWNSHIP M 2.1 5 42.67N 82.92W

NEW BALTIMORE M 4.0 8 42.68N 82.74W

WARREN M 4.5 8 42.49N 83.03W

...MONROE COUNTY...

OTTAWA LAKE M 5.0 8 41.76N 83.75W

MAYBEE M 5.7 8 42.01N 83.52W

...OAKLAND COUNTY...

1 SSW ORCHARD LAKE M 2.5 5 42.57N 83.39W

ROCHESTER HILLS M 2.5 5 42.67N 83.16W

WEST BLOOMFIELD M 2.5 5 42.57N 83.38W

HUNTINGTON WOODS M 5.2 8 42.48N 83.17W

...ST. CLAIR COUNTY...

ALGONAC M 3.8 6.5 42.62N 82.53W

...WASHTENAW COUNTY...

5 SSE ANN ARBOR M 4.0 6 42.21N 83.69W

1 SE ANN ARBOR M 4.2 7 42.27N 83.72W

...WAYNE COUNTY...

WYANDOTTE M 4.1 8 42.21N 83.16W

GARDEN CITY M 4.4 7 42.33N 83.33W

ALLEN PARK M 4.5 7 42.26N 83.21W

ROMULUS M 4.8 7 42.22N 83.37W

LIVONIA M 5.2 6.5 42.40N 83.37W

BROWNSTOWN TOWNSHIP M 6.0 7 42.15N 83.26W

RIVERVIEW M 6.2 8 42.17N 83.19W

M = MEASURED

E = ESTIMATED

$$

6.3" is my final. Snow pretty much ended around 8pm, so I didn't get to 8" as I was hoping. I'm very happy to report that nothing has been plowed yet, and I spent much of the commute home pushing my coworkers car down side streets as she couldn't get traction. The grand finale was when we made it to my house, I had to push her back 150m to the main road, then walk back.. and shovel the sidewalk. :arrowhead:

I took some photos, will upload them in a bit.

Archived