joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb. 4th - 5th Snow Event

Powerball

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you compare last night's 00z runs to what it looks like will happen, it almost borders on a colossal failure. Really been a while since I've seen something like this...we're not talking about minor shifts with tight gradients here.

Yeah, this is something you'd see maybe 10 years ago when model accuracy was a lot less than what it is today. Very unsual today.

I wish I had the numbers for last night's 0z and today's 6z, but here's the raw QPF numbers for LAF starting with today's 12z run. Trend much?

12z NAM: 0.10"

18z NAM: 0.20"

0z NAM: aprox. 0.30" just eyeballing the Twister map, might be more like 0.20-0.25"...not 100% sure.

Assuming the NAM is correct (and it may be as the hi-res models are also trending the same direction) me and snowstormcanuck are in great positions considering how storms are ALWAYS further NW than what the models show.

00z NAM + another NW adjustment and I'm in heaven. :wub:

Assuming the NAM initialized correctly and this isn't all BS, I think there's room for a further NW adjustment. It's actually quick a vigorous looking piece of energy. Strong PVA and a closed H5 center. That zone of confluence to the north looks far enough north that it could nudge a little further.

f21.gif

I wish I had the numbers for last night's 0z and today's 6z, but here's the raw QPF numbers for LAF starting with today's 12z run. Trend much?

12z NAM: 0.10"

18z NAM: 0.20"

0z NAM: aprox. 0.30" just eyeballing the Twister map, might be more like 0.20-0.25"...not 100% sure.

00z last night was a goose egg or very close to it.

local tv met goes to mich games with me just sent text telling me to "get some sleep"(code words for your're going to plow tmmrw)....being a michigan football fan and owning a business predicated by weather is a miserable combo :axe:

TOL looks to be sitting in a nice spot. $$$

That's a really tight northwestern edge. Who knows if it's correct in the placement though.

Good thing we're on the good side of it right now, but true, who knows if it even goes a bit farther northwest at this point.

Wow, a last second rise from the dead type of storm.

boy i hope your correct chi...anyone notice how sunday night/monday clipper just kind of "disappeared" on this run ??

I could see that since tomorrow's "potential" system would leave plenty of confluence overhead versus what would have happened if it just went OTS/coastal.

In any event, WOW!!! If this were to happen we're talking about a catastrophic bust for this region (forecasters, models, everything).

Good thing we're on the good side of it right now, but true, who knows if it even goes a bit farther northwest at this point.

Wow, a last second rise from the dead type of storm.

It very well might...the short term/hi-res guidance is strongly hinting at that and it appears to be doing pretty well.

Trend is undeniable at this point. You're prime.

And yeah let's see if this reorganizes the deck chairs for this coming week's systems. Madness.

i'm no whiz, in fact i'm an idiot, but if you look out west that late week system looks more attractive when you see this type of trend...i'm like you guys, it's great to be in bullseye a week out ON PAPER, but in reality it sucks and you get screwed...maybe we are in a better spot than we realize...

And I'm going to bookmark this thread as undeniable proof that all models quite frankly suck, even the EURO.

A major shift (talking hundreds of miles) like this within 24 hours of a storm and for no model to even pick up on it until it's virtually happening should be unprecedented.

i'm no whiz, in fact i'm an idiot, but if you look out west that late week system looks more attractive when you see this type of trend...i'm like you guys, it's great to be in bullseye a week out ON PAPER, but in reality it sucks and you get screwed...maybe we are in a better spot than we realize...

Well this event looks like a freak failure on the models part. Pretty hard to fathom really inside 48 hours in this day and age. But in the grand scheme of things the indices have changed, for the better for a lot of us, and gone are the SE sliders or EC monsters where we were left with NW flow limited moisture events. NW trend if you want to call it that, is alive and well. The Lower Plains/Midwest/Lakes/OV time to shine is now. Still may be a few "warm" solutions for some, but this is by far the best potential we've had for sizable region-wide storms all winter. And the train is still coming...

And I'm going to bookmark this thread as undeniable proof that all models quite frankly suck, even the EURO.

A major shift (talking hundreds of miles) like this within 24 hours of a storm and for no model to even pick up on it until it's virtually happening should be unprecedented.

This type of situation is pretty rare though. I'm not sure but I'm wondering if something key was missed in Mexico last night.

Archived