CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this a good time to put down grass seed to fill in some patchy spots in my yard? Still too early with all of the recent frosts & freezes? I'm a new homeowner, and I don't know a dadgum thing about this sort of stuff.

yea its still to early wait another couple weeks or so. You will know the right time because you will be mowing your yard like 2-3 times a week. Also, remember if you put down grass seed you cant put down a pre-emergent

wants to nuke it before it gets going, apparently overtakes a rock wall along his property.

Got a sample, gonna look at the DIR book tonite to see and identify.

Best thing is to try and dig it out. One shot of roundup wont do it, he is going to need several apps or a stronger chemical.

yea its still to early wait another couple weeks or so. You will know the right time because you will be mowing your yard like 2-3 times a week. Also, remember if you put down grass seed you cant put down a pre-emergent

This season may not be the case, unless we get some decent rain over the next few weeks.

I have 15 yards of top soil being delivered tomorrow (yeah I will be busy this weekend). I guess I should wait a bit then until I put grass seed down?

This season may not be the case, unless we get some decent rain over the next few weeks.

I have 15 yards of top soil being delivered tomorrow (yeah I will be busy this weekend). I guess I should wait a bit then until I put grass seed down?

You can put it down, it just won't come up as quickly, which leads to the greater risk of ( if we do get rain, of it washing away and birds going after it). Soil temperatures are still a little cool especially with these cool days and nights the next week. Im not planning on seeding my yard till about late april. Also, within all that top soil you are going to get weeds in that. So you will have to get a post emerge treatment for weeds.

You can put it down, it just won't come up as quickly, which leads to the greater risk of ( if we do get rain, of it washing away and birds going after it). Soil temperatures are still a little cool especially with these cool days and nights the next week. Im not planning on seeding my yard till about late april. Also, within all that top soil you are going to get weeds in that. So you will have to get a post emerge treatment for weeds.

I have a fair amount of weeds in my lawn now, so what is a bit more. :)

Thanks for the info. My lawn pretty much needs an overhaul as it took a beating the last few years.

I guess that set you back a bit, i found a source locally for 31 dollars a yard, not sure how much was yours. I know I am going to need like at least 5 yards myself, but i am unsure of the delivery costs.

I guess that set you back a bit, i found a source locally for 31 dollars a yard, not sure how much was yours. I know I am going to need like at least 5 yards myself, but i am unsure of the delivery costs.

Very close to that cost, although the local garden center is right down the street from me so I was able to get them to waive the delivery charge.

wants to nuke it before it gets going, apparently overtakes a rock wall along his property.

Got a sample, gonna look at the DIR book tonite to see and identify.

Were you able to identify it?

It's in a loose stone wall, about 100yds long. Appears to be woody so I don't know how effective roundup will be. Might have to do some searching.

for the record i saw the vine you showed growing along the fence line that butts up against the woods on our course. I don't think round up would kill it, might knock it back but not kill it. Roundup doesn't even totally kill bermuda grass.

Anyone know how to permanently get rid of wild strawberry - it seems resistant to everything and grows like crazy.

Please help.

Rossi

Use weed be gone got rid of mine. It is a vine and has top root feeders. It primarily grows in much beds and bare spots and will spread rapidly . The best way is to simply pull it. Do it now before the yellow flower is done blooming

Got the second mow of the season in yesterday. I don't ever recall kicking up so much dust in April. Also, the grass has a straw-like quality to it already. If I didn't know better, I'd say lawn conditions are more like late July/early August than mid April.

I put down Scotts Turfbuilder with weed control on 4/6, and I have curled up dandelion stems all over the yard. It seems like they skipped the flowering phase, grew themselves out and died. It's really weird though, I have never seen this happen. Trying to decide if I should treat it again after tonight's mow...

Did it have 2,4-D in it? Sounds like it worked exactly as designed. It's a "growth stimulant" that makes the weeds grow themselves to death as you described.

No reason to re-treat unless you missed some areas.

I was wondering if I use the same stuff if it can get the grass to grow, and fill in the spots where the weeds are/were?

Did it have 2,4-D in it? Sounds like it worked exactly as designed. It's a "growth stimulant" that makes the weeds grow themselves to death as you described.

No reason to re-treat unless you missed some areas.

Im pretty sure those scotts products are 2-4,d and prob some dicamaba and mccp.

After today's mowing I would say the lawn is at about its peak in terms of green/lushness

yup, which is the reason why i tell people not to go hog wild in fertilizing during the spring. The grass in general is going to grow insanely and be lush because its in its reproductive stage in producing the inflorescence aka seeds.

This Sunday starts the GAP team matches which last for the next 4 weeks. The matches are played rain or shine unless the course is deemed unplayable and closed... so hopefully the heaviest of the Sunday rain will hold off until mid-afternoon as its no fun playing in torrential downpours!

Archived