• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

Is the rest of the plant dead besides the new shoots? This is a perfect time to plant plants.

Yeah, just the new shoots are alive, although they aren't very big. I just figured with the nice weather it would be fun to go ahead and plant it!

I've noticed that about our hydrangeas too. Saw some beautiful ones in Cape May and planted some around our house, they really suffered the past three summers.

I don't see a problem transplanting it now either, as long as its kept watered.

Your avatar has to be among one of the best avatars on the board.

Thanks!! I made the avatar myself :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, just the new shoots are alive, although they aren't very big. I just figured with the nice weather it would be fun to go ahead and plant it!

Thanks!! I made the avatar myself :)

cut all the dead stuff off the plant with just the new stuff left. Make sure you plant it in a location that is partial shade. Hydrangeas don't like to get basked with sun as their leaves curl up and start to wilt if its faced with to much light.

I've noticed that about our hydrangeas too. Saw some beautiful ones in Cape May and planted some around our house, they really suffered the past three summers.

I don't see a problem transplanting it now either, as long as its kept watered.

Your avatar has to be among one of the best avatars on the board.

Not sure where you planted yours at, but if they are in full sun they will struggle as you will see their leaves curl up and wilt if its in prolonged periods of sun especially when its hott. Not sure if you knew this, but the hydrangeas flower is determined by the pH of your soil.

I had heard you could add stuff to the soil to get the flowers to change to what color you want. Can't remember if someone told me kook-aid or if I dreamed that one.

My yard is mostly shaded by very tall trees. Right now I have my pot sitting on the edge of the woods.

post-5452-134737164844.jpg

Not sure where you planted yours at, but if they are in full sun they will struggle as you will see their leaves curl up and wilt if its in prolonged periods of sun especially when its hott. Not sure if you knew this, but the hydrangeas flower is determined by the pH of your soil.

I had heard you could add stuff to the soil to get the flowers to change to what color you want. Can't remember if someone told me kook-aid or if I dreamed that one.

My yard is mostly shaded by very tall trees. Right now I have my pot sitting on the edge of the woods.

post-5452-134737164844.jpg

hydrangeas are nice, i would make a bed around the house and plant it there. Also, we need to help you with lawn maintenance lol. Broadleaf weeds galore..

It's about time to put the garden yield in the books for this year. Everything started out wonderfully until the hot\dry air mass came. We do not use any dust or chemicals so there were some bugs and the tomatoes, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower plants got hit the worst.

The following is unofficial of course:

Zucchini top dog this year-4 plants = too many to count. 7 jars zucchini relish. 8 pts zucchini pickels. 20 bags 2 cups each in the freezer for breads or what have you, and numerous ones given away. Had to be close to 200lbs.

Tomatoes: After sharing with whoever wanted some only canned 4 qts. which was about 20lbs worth.

Green beans: Started out so nice but then got too dry. 12 pts canned, ate several times just picking when needed.

Beets: I keep asking the Mr. to only plant one row but he never does what I ask - 14 pts + 4 qts canned. Spiced Amish recipe.

Cucumbers: 6 pts. pickles.

Watermelons: 6 nice ones.

Peppers: Had a party in the beginning of Aug and used 6 plants picked for sausage and pepper sandwiches for about 70 guests.

Hot Peppers: After giving some away, canned 4 qts.

Still have potatoes which I haven't checked on lately. We also enjoyed radishes, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage. Not one brussel sprout.

Groundhogs killed: 7.

It's about time to put the garden yield in the books for this year. Everything started out wonderfully until the hot\dry air mass came. We do not use any dust or chemicals so there were some bugs and the tomatoes, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower plants got hit the worst.

The following is unofficial of course:

Zucchini top dog this year-4 plants = too many to count. 7 jars zucchini relish. 8 pts zucchini pickels. 20 bags 2 cups each in the freezer for breads or what have you, and numerous ones given away. Had to be close to 200lbs.

Tomatoes: After sharing with whoever wanted some only canned 4 qts. which was about 20lbs worth.

Green beans: Started out so nice but then got too dry. 12 pts canned, ate several times just picking when needed.

Beets: I keep asking the Mr. to only plant one row but he never does what I ask - 14 pts + 4 qts canned. Spiced Amish recipe.

Cucumbers: 6 pts. pickles.

Watermelons: 6 nice ones.

Peppers: Had a party in the beginning of Aug and used 6 plants picked for sausage and pepper sandwiches for about 70 guests.

Hot Peppers: After giving some away, canned 4 qts.

Still have potatoes which I haven't checked on lately. We also enjoyed radishes, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage. Not one brussel sprout.

Groundhogs killed: 7.

Congrats. That's quite a bit of produce.

They are both on the southeast facing side of the house. One of them used to get an endless water supply from our central air until we got it replaced (now the excess water goes directly to our sump pump). That one is really suffering, plus the technicians are always hacking away at it to improve ventilation to the unit.

Lime for pink, acid for blue?

They are both on the southeast facing side of the house. One of them used to get an endless water supply from our central air until we got it replaced (now the excess water goes directly to our sump pump). That one is really suffering, plus the technicians are always hacking away at it to improve ventilation to the unit.

Lime for pink, acid for blue?

Yea it something like that, and i think maybe neutral for purple? Btw, got 2 tomatoes finally off my tomato plant lol. But i have like 20 green tomatoes in the works

If you are a golfer and didn't get out this week, you missed the best weather of the year, :o

Mt__View_%234_Tee_Box_Shot.jpg

Yes it was a spectacular week, was lucky to have three days off and golfed each day. BTW Walt was on the team that won our semi-annual office tournament today. Contrary to popular rumor, we didn't see him run to his shots today. ;)

What course is that?

The hawks should be flying today - going later on to check the hawkwatch at Chimney Rock. The few clouds beginning to stream in will bring them down from the heights. The strength and direction of todays winds are virtually ideal for a big broadwing day, it's just that these clear skies permit them to fly so high they aren't easily seen. I'll bet late afternoon will be good.

*** Edit - the migrating hawks were still pretty high. Had two kettles of broadwings, maybe 25 in each, plus many singletons. Bald eagles and accipiters were flying high too. Now, tonight will be nearly ideal for the little birds (they migrate at night, to avoid the hawks, lol). Very light northwest winds. There will be a huge movement tonight, as it's all clear to the north and northwest of us as well. However, it might be too good. There is no weather to make them come down tonight, so they'll keep flying all night, and the only ones that come down for the day will be those overhead at dawn. Still, it will be a good day tomorrow for birding.

Ok, so I aerated and overseeded on Monday. 1st rain was obviously last night. Any hope to see some grass before the end of the growing season (300 GFS has our first freeze)?

Yea, most certainly. We seeded the rough last week after it got smoked with gray leaf spot. You will see rye first, then tall fescue and if its still warm enough bluegrass last.

Yea, most certainly. We seeded the rough last week after it got smoked with gray leaf spot. You will see rye first, then tall fescue and if its still warm enough bluegrass last.

Thanks Tom. I hope you are right. This is the 4th time I've aerated and overseeded since buying the place and the lawn is still horrible.

So I thought I would take advantage of the rain and go ahead and plant my hydrangea yesterday afternoon. My thoughts were that the rain would soften the soil so I could dig the hole and then the showers today would help water my plant! While my theory on the softer soil was mostly true, I did not anticipate to see as many large rocks as I did. Guess that along with the weeds in our yard will be the main challenges for us.

Archived