• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

Neighbor, husband and I were discussing the garden the other night. Thought if I bump this up perhaps it will become covered in snow in the coming weeks. lol

The discussion was possibly planting 3 weeks early this year.  My thought (which the guys don't agree with), is as wet as the soil is- even if it does freeze for a time, it seems rational to me to plant earlier before it gets too darn hot in July.  It would be nice to be picking some tomatoes by then instead of watching them torch. 

Just start your seedlings inside, then move them outside when temperatures are right.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty early.  I've seen this in later Feb. but do not recall Jan. ever. 

No bulbs at my house, but the mums were coming back up!

Thanks tombo.  Will let you know what we do...

Yeah, I have a huge pot of mums (I cut back in December) and there is new growth at the base). Daffadils are up through the ground on the south side of the house 2-3 inches already!!!

Proof:

w03zvp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

question for you guys here...

Titleist CB 710s or Mizuno Mp-64?

Looking to get a new set, wondering if anyone has a preference of feedback.

I currently shoot mid 80's on average, depending on familiarity of the course. I have a set of burner plus irons 4-aw. They have a fat cavity, which is nice and forgiving for the game improvement iron. However, i wanna take that next step to better player. I hit my irons solid, love to draw the ball, and don't chunk. Looking to get a nice set to last me the next 10 years. Play twice a week, sometimes more.

We birders are having a banner winter due, presumably, to weather patterns. Eight species of goose are being seen currently in NJ, including multiple representatives of two Greenland species (one of which was virtually unheard-of before the last few years). Four species is the "normal" and expected winter count.   Three northern lapwings, a European species, are spending the winter near New Egypt.  And there are unusual numbers of alcids (sort of the northern penguins) floating offshore, and often seen from the shore.  This is in addition to enjoying one of the periodic winter "irruptions" of northern finches from Canada southwards into NJ, though that irruption is more due to the failure of food sources up north than directly to weather. 

I currently shoot mid 80's on average, depending on familiarity of the course. I have a set of burner plus irons 4-aw. They have a fat cavity, which is nice and forgiving for the game improvement iron. However, i wanna take that next step to better player. I hit my irons solid, love to draw the ball, and don't chunk. Looking to get a nice set to last me the next 10 years. Play twice a week, sometimes more.

Whatever you buy be sure to get them fitted.....night and day difference and will help get you to the "next level"

I play Callaway irons so have no experience with those. but have not heard anyone complain about Mizuno's

• 2 weeks later...

It's time for duck-age, as we birders say!  Duck hunting season is now over, and as lakes de-ice, ducks will descend on them as they make their way back north.  This is normally the peak time for variety at Lake Assunpink near Hightstown, for example.  If lakes thaw en masse, ducks will fly back north until they hit frozen water, so it's good if they have to pause a bit in NJ.  I remember one time seeing and hearing a strong wind breaking up ice on Lake Assunpink, and hundreds of gulls right at the breaking point presumably snapping up fish that were injured.  A very interesting sight and sound. 

Next week, will start looking for red-winged blackbirds on territory if we don't freeze again.  They never left the southern portions of our region, but have been mostly absent from the north. 

I always thought Mizunos are not very forgiving clubs. (Because they are for good golfers who dont have to worry about mis hits, unlike me.)  Doug Briggs (remember Cheetah from PR)  gave me a Mizuno 6 iron to practice with, cant mis-hit that one and hit a ball well.  BTW Doug can golf.  Played with him at Deerwood near the office and he shot in the mid 70s.  He wasnt happy with his game that day, I'd take that score 9 days a week.

I always thought Mizunos are not very forgiving clubs. (Because they are for good golfers who dont have to worry about mis hits, unlike me.)  Doug Briggs (remember Cheetah from PR)  gave me a Mizuno 6 iron to practice with, cant mis-hit that one and hit a ball well.  BTW Doug can golf.  Played with him at Deerwood near the office and he shot in the mid 70s.  He wasnt happy with his game that day, I'd take that score 9 days a week.

Depends on skill level. Irish is at the age where he could make a more bladed club work to his advantage Me and you should be grabbing the hybrids :P 

I always thought Mizunos are not very forgiving clubs. (Because they are for good golfers who dont have to worry about mis hits, unlike me.) Doug Briggs (remember Cheetah from PR) gave me a Mizuno 6 iron to practice with, cant mis-hit that one and hit a ball well. BTW Doug can golf. Played with him at Deerwood near the office and he shot in the mid 70s. He wasnt happy with his game that day, I'd take that score 9 days a week.

I would def take 70's all week long! Lol. If only golf was only 15holes!! Haha.

So I did some research, field testing and such. I caved and bought the Mizuno Mp-64's. A little intimidating, but sooo freaking nice. Aesthetically and performance wise. Hitting a clean shot, the ball just becomes one with the club head and just goes! I got fitted and such. Beautiful club. My problem isn't so much making contact as it is control. I gotta admit, after I bought them, I was intimidated a bit. Went to the range, hit a bunch of balls. Then, the big test, on the course. Went to Glenn Mills Friday and got 9 in. ( got a call for an OT shift at work, so didnt get all 18 in) I did fairly well though making contact and gettig direction down. Few mis hits, but the shaft is about 1/2" shorter than my previous set. That takes getting used to.

Old set was 4-AW, this set is 3 through pw. This presented a new problem bc my PW is a 140yrd club. My AW was my 130-100 yrd club. So I had to go buy a 50degree wedge. $$$$$ keeps adding up. Ended up buying the new Cleveland 588 Rtx wedges (bought a 50 and 56 wedge).

Anyhow, here's how they look.

7esehy5u.jpgqydypa5e.jpg

And the wedge:

e5ume5y8.jpgpuzusapy.jpgeba8u2yv.jpg

Depends on skill level. Irish is at the age where he could make a more bladed club work to his advantage Me and you should be grabbing the hybrids :P 

Yes and I am waiting for the starter to tell me I have to use the front tees.  I do like my 3 and 4 hybrids, keep on thinking about getting a 5 too.

Brian, nice clubs!  :thumbsup:

Yes and I am waiting for the starter to tell me I have to use the front tees.  I do like my 3 and 4 hybrids, keep on thinking about getting a 5 too.

Brian, nice clubs!  :thumbsup:

I could never get used to the hybrids, just never felt right. I always left those clubs behind and stuck with irons. Then again i should just leave all my clubs behind and just advance the ball by throwing it down the fairway.

I could never get used to the hybrids, just never felt right. I always left those clubs behind and stuck with irons. Then again i should just leave all my clubs behind and just advance the ball by throwing it down the fairway.

You gotta use what works.  I have never been able to be as consistent with my 3 and 4 irons as I am with the hybrids. Beside I'm hitting out of the rough alot.  :whistle:  Now those irons make for a nice set of wind chimes....

Nice clubs Brian. Just thought I'd let you know about my golf trip to Tampa. Took Frontier Airlines out of Mercer County Airport and while the amenities at the airport are a bit primitive, the no charge for parking and ease of access more than made up for that. Played my first TPC course at Tampa and the fairways were better than most greens around here. They were getting it ready for a Senior Tour Tournament and the greens were amazing - fast at 10+ on the Stemp but so true you could only blame yourself for a missed putt. The last course 

we played was Lake Jovita. It is an anomaly for Florida with rolling hills and gorgeous scenery that reminded me of courses up here in the foothills of the Poconos. Accommodations at Emerald Greens resort were more than adequate, but the traffic in the area was a surprise. All in all it was a great break to get some warm weather and  play golf with some friends.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived