• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

its slime mold do to the wet weather...won't kill the grass its just unsightly. Here is a write up on it. How is your lawn doing?

http://www.turffiles...Slime_Mold.aspx

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the information. So far the lawn is looking great. It came in really strong this year and I have been able to control crab grass and weeds through ferts this spring. It began to yellow a bit a few weeks ago, but has been looking better since it began to rain again. All in all, it's a 1000% better than last year!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did u take pics last yr of it...can you take some now. I haven't seen rust out their, more like dollar spot, red thread, and some leaf spot

Tombo,

Thanks - I started using a mulching blade and fetilized at 1/3 the rate and now the lawn looks lush with no more red thread areas.

Thanks,

Its appreciated.

Rossi

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else's grass starting to take on the effects of the lack of rain lately? Mine has turned from plush green to many brown patches in a matter of a few weeks. This happens every year if the weather turns very hot and drier. I assume it is the type of grass and dormancy.

Anyone else's grass starting to take on the effects of the lack of rain lately? Mine has turned from plush green to many brown patches in a matter of a few weeks. This happens every year if the weather turns very hot and drier. I assume it is the type of grass and dormancy.

I've been running the sprinklers within the water restriction guidelines of the township, and so far the lawn been holding its own...We'll see how it goes...It would nice to cash on some more super soaker cells, but we haven't had much luck this season. The Delaware has been a pretty effective force field so far this season, with last night being a nice exception...

Walked the front nine today, but rode the cart on the back. Guess it will be like Florida golf this weekend with a 5:00AM tee off. Hi to my golf buddies.

What's up man...good call on riding the back nine, felt the most oppressive outside to me yesterday. going to try and get at least nine in tomorrow...

Having a lot of landscaping done today, that should will the best dynamics north tonight...:whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

I didnt feel like searching through last years lawn thread so.... I'm getting the same long grasses popping up. Looks like grass but the are tall and can be pulled out easily. I think you said it was some kind of nut? Wondering if there is something available at local lowes, depot or other to treat this with since it seems to have spread since last season.

If you have no idea what I'm asking then I'll take a pic tonight.

Thanks.

Tom,

I didnt feel like searching through last years lawn thread so.... I'm getting the same long grasses popping up. Looks like grass but the are tall and can be pulled out easily. I think you said it was some kind of nut? Wondering if there is something available at local lowes, depot or other to treat this with since it seems to have spread since last season.

If you have no idea what I'm asking then I'll take a pic tonight.

Thanks.

like greenskeeper said, its nutsedge. You have to get it with a herbicide, pulling it out won't do it. It has a nut at the end of the root system that detatched as you pull it out and forms a new plant. The herbicides out their that kill it are, sedge hammer, manage, prosedge. Anything containing halosulfron methyl will do it.

like greenskeeper said, its nutsedge. You have to get it with a herbicide, pulling it out won't do it. It has a nut at the end of the root system that detatched as you pull it out and forms a new plant. The herbicides out their that kill it are, sedge hammer, manage, prosedge. Anything containing halosulfron methyl will do it.

Tom, thanks.gonna give this a try but need more than a couple.

http://www.amazon.com/Sedgehammer-Plus-Nutsedge-Herbicide-Formulation/dp/B005BYOIEE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342042874&sr=8-2&keywords=nutsedge+killer

31o1yu6MdnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I had a feeling that what's popped up on my lawn over the last week was the same thing, and I've confirmed that it is. I hit the affected areas with what was left in a hose spray bottle of weed b gone, do you think that will cut it, or should I get the Image stuff?

it won't do anything most likely. That weed b gone stuff is for broadleaf weeds, this is like a grassy weed, well its a sedge, but resembles a grass. Get the stuff q-town showed.

The nut is suppose to be edible. If truly true, I won't have to go to the supermarket for weeks.

lol, im assuming you have a lot of that stuff in your yard? Do you reseed a lot with low grade seed or get sod?

For me, it's coming up the most in an area I seeded, that didn't really come in fully. It gets a lot of direct sunlight, and even with watering twice a day, it never fully filled in. Over the last two weeks or so, the bald areas have been filled with this garbage. I used Pennington SmartSeed, which I thought was pretty good. It's come in thick and green in other areas I've used it to patch...

lol, im assuming you have a lot of that stuff in your yard? Do you reseed a lot with low grade seed or get sod?

I've spent a decade filling in low lying areas, just assumed the seeds/pods were in the fill dirt. Its in the backyard, only annoying part is I have to cut it every 4-5 days, it gets collateral watering from being so close to my vegetable gardening. Have creeping ivy too, smells really piney when it gets cut, at least that stays low and blends in with the "grass".

I ordered that stuff via ebay, 2 packs, cheaper.

Will give a review once i use it.

These nuts pop up every year about this time.

I thought my nice lawn would smother them out but then again yard is very dry now and it lost its lush green coat.

I will pull and gather a bunch of my nuts and mail them to Tony, lol.

I thought my nice lawn would smother them out but then again yard is very dry now and it lost its lush green coat.

Send it!

At least there will be something "green" growing in my lawn. ;)

I've spent a decade filling in low lying areas, just assumed the seeds/pods were in the fill dirt. Its in the backyard, only annoying part is I have to cut it every 4-5 days, it gets collateral watering from being so close to my vegetable gardening. Have creeping ivy too, smells really piney when it gets cut, at least that stays low and blends in with the "grass".

yea the nutsedge comes in some of those crappy low grade seed bags, filler soil, and just from areas that are bare. Its a bear to get rid of. We spray it every year at the course and every year it comes up again in different spots. The ground ivy can be killed easily, but then half of your yard it sounds like might be bare,

don't expect it to be gone in like a couple days. I sprayed ours at the course like 2 weeks ago and its dying off now.

don't expect it to be gone in like a couple days. I sprayed ours at the course like 2 weeks ago and its dying off now.

Add a little dish detergent to your spray bottle when you mix it. Helps it stick to the nutsedge upon application.

Most of the time, Nutsedge can be a b**ch to control. Its usually appears in hydrophytic soils (wetland soil) and starts growing when temps reach over 80 degrees during the day. The fact that it grows extremely well in clay soils does not help matters any. A nutsedge is considered a wetland plant. The plant loves soils that pond water for days after heavy rainfall events and usually is found in the soggy parts of your yard. The nutsedge seed spreads after being mowed, especially after the ponding of your yard is finally dried enough to mow. My yard is small enough to pull the the weed. Nutsedge loves this type of weather that we are experiencing, from the June heavy rains to the July drought and starts to take off when the grass is stressed and or in dormancy from the heat. I have seen it a lot in Bermuda grass in the south when it goes dormant from dry conditions.

Most of the time, Nutsedge can be a b**ch to control. Its usually appears in hydrophytic soils (wetland soil) and starts growing when temps reach over 80 degrees during the day. The fact that it grows extremely well in clay soils does not help matters any. A nutsedge is considered a wetland plant. The plant loves soils that pond water for days after heavy rainfall events and usually is found in the soggy parts of your yard. The nutsedge seed spreads after being mowed, especially after the ponding of your yard is finally dried enough to mow. My yard is small enough to pull the the weed. Nutsedge loves this type of weather that we are experiencing, from the June heavy rains to the July drought and starts to take off when the grass is stressed and or in dormancy from the heat. I have seen it a lot in Bermuda grass in the south when it goes dormant from dry conditions.

well that explains why my very wet areas / clay ground base under top soil has the most nut. stuff is driving me nuts!

tom, yeah i know it will take some time.

• 3 weeks later...

Tom, thanks.gonna give this a try but need more than a couple.

http://www.amazon.co...nutsedge killer

31o1yu6MdnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Update:

This does work but....

Around day 6 / 7 the nutsedge was turning yellow but the areas that I sprayed on the heavy side since I had areas with large clumps it also hurt my grass so caution with using this product. I have one more pack so when spraying I will be more careful and try to hit the specific nutsedge only.

Will need to reseed a few areas now :(.

So who's grass has really perked up during the last couple weeks?

Me!

Greener and looking better :)

Update:

This does work but....

Around day 6 / 7 the nutsedge was turning yellow but the areas that I sprayed on the heavy side since I had areas with large clumps it also hurt my grass so caution with using this product. I have one more pack so when spraying I will be more careful and try to hit the specific nutsedge only.

Will need to reseed a few areas now :(.

So who's grass has really perked up during the last couple weeks?

Me!

Greener and looking better :)

Interesting, we have been doing it this whole time and we have been fine. It shouldn't hurt the grass at all just the nutsedge. Did you ffollow the labeled rate make sure you dont apply it to heavy, just one swipe with the sprayer is fine.

Archived