• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

This Sunday starts the GAP team matches which last for the next 4 weeks. The matches are played rain or shine unless the course is deemed unplayable and closed... so hopefully the heaviest of the Sunday rain will hold off until mid-afternoon as its no fun playing in torrential downpours!

yup, we have them this sunday, going to be interesting,.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found the reason for the bald spots in my backyard this week. We back to woods, and have no fence, so there are a number of animals wondering around at any given point, including a woodchuck I see from time to time. I noticed earlier that he is munching up sections of my lawn for use in his nest, which is near the wood's edge. Any ideas on deterring this guy from dining on my grass? (murder is not going to be an option, though somewhat tempting ;))

I found the reason for the bald spots in my backyard this week. We back to woods, and have no fence, so there are a number of animals wondering around at any given point, including a woodchuck I see from time to time. I noticed earlier that he is munching up sections of my lawn for use in his nest, which is near the wood's edge. Any ideas on deterring this guy from dining on my grass? (murder is not going to be an option, though somewhat tempting ;))

find something, like a smell that they dont like and start their. Maybe spray your lawn that butts up against the woods.

cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper and ground black pepper mix. that will do the trick.

Played Golf at the Philadelphia quartet club in Far Northeast Philadelphia today It is a 9 hole course all par 3's a great place to work on your short game. first year I have been a member there in a few years anyhow the fairways and greens are much greener after last weeks rain storm. Unless rain and storm verify this week course should go back to a dryer look I guess.

Tombo,

I fertilized my lawn at 1/2 the rates as you suggested on March 31 and now I am starting to see some of those rust looking spots in the lawn. Overall the lawn looks great but I had the same problem last year and a fungicide did nothing - any ideas?

Rossi

Tombo,

I fertilized my lawn at 1/2 the rates as you suggested on March 31 and now I am starting to see some of those rust looking spots in the lawn. Overall the lawn looks great but I had the same problem last year and a fungicide did nothing - any ideas?

Rossi

did u take pics last yr of it...can you take some now. I haven't seen rust out their, more like dollar spot, red thread, and some leaf spot

did u take pics last yr of it...can you take some now. I haven't seen rust out their, more like dollar spot, red thread, and some leaf spot

I think its red thread - how do you cure that - fertilize again or treat how?

Thanks,

Rossi

I think its red thread - how do you cure that - fertilize again or treat how?

Thanks,

Rossi

I just want to educate you on one thing about spraying fungicides. When you spray a chemical on a lawn disease, they have certain time intervals that they rid the plant of the disease. For instance, dollar spot a common disease from now till october. You don't just spray it once and its done. Each chemical has a timeline, so for dollar spot you may spray daconil on it which may have a 14-21 day window where it protects the plant. Once outside that window you have to spray it again unless the conditions arent ripe for the disease. Do you follow what im saying? Thats the reason why it came back, its not like chicken pox shot where you get it and you are garunteed no chicken poxs, you need to keep applying the product as long as conditions warrant it.

I fertilized 4/1 and I do bag my clippings?

Thanks,

Rossi

you could give it a little shot of fertilizer. Red thread is a low nitrogen disease, but it doesnt kill the grass where you have to re seed it. Once this rainy wet weather stops you will see it go away. The reason you always see ppl give it some fertilizer because you are trying to get the grass to grow and then you just mow the damage off. Don't overkill it with food, go with .25-.5.

Don't bag your clippings. That could also be a reason why you are getting it. I never bag my clippings and i have never had an issue with red thread. When you go bagless mowing, the grass clippings decompose and the nitrogen in them just goes right back into the plant. They said clippings during the year break down to about 2-3 lbs of nitrogen per growing season. I hear this a lot from people that clippings cause thatch, thats wrong. Clippings are about 70-80% water, so dont bag your clippings. You seem like you care about your lawn as do i. Im out their every 3 days mowing so clippings clumping up on my lawn is never an issue if you mow it properly this time of year.

you could give it a little shot of fertilizer. Red thread is a low nitrogen disease, but it doesnt kill the grass where you have to re seed it. Once this rainy wet weather stops you will see it go away. The reason you always see ppl give it some fertilizer because you are trying to get the grass to grow and then you just mow the damage off. Don't overkill it with food, go with .25-.5.

Don't bag your clippings. That could also be a reason why you are getting it. I never bag my clippings and i have never had an issue with red thread. When you go bagless mowing, the grass clippings decompose and the nitrogen in them just goes right back into the plant. They said clippings during the year break down to about 2-3 lbs of nitrogen per growing season. I hear this a lot from people that clippings cause thatch, thats wrong. Clippings are about 70-80% water, so dont bag your clippings. You seem like you care about your lawn as do i. Im out their every 3 days mowing so clippings clumping up on my lawn is never an issue if you mow it properly this time of year.

Thanks Tombo!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Tombo,

Just had a large pine tree cut down. Large area from the trunk needs to be reseeded. Is It Ok to plant grass now?/ or how long into future?

Thanks

Al B

yea perfect time to reseed. once the seed comes in you will also get weeds to so you're going to have to hit those weeds with a herbicide.

Does anyone know anything about controlling lawn pests, specifically little brown ants? I've never seen them before until last summer. They did more damage to my lawn last year, digging it up building their anthills, than the heat and dry conditions did.

Yesterday while I was mowing, I noticed they're back. I was going to run out and get some pest control to put down. But before I waste $$$, I thought I see if anyone had some tips. Thanks!

Does anyone know anything about controlling lawn pests, specifically little brown ants? I've never seen them before until last summer. They did more damage to my lawn last year, digging it up building their anthills, than the heat and dry conditions did.

Yesterday while I was mowing, I noticed they're back. I was going to run out and get some pest control to put down. But before I waste $$$, I thought I see if anyone had some tips. Thanks!

you can put down and insecticide, but then you may be knocking out other beneficial insects. Im sure they have special ant insecticides at home depot or what not.

There just ants man, what if you were an ant? Just because your lawn isn't perfect lol. Its not like there trying to harm your life or family.

Now spiders....

I have an agreement with bugs: if they contribute to the mortgage they can stay; if not, they're executed! :gun_bandana:

you can put down and insecticide, but then you may be knocking out other beneficial insects. Im sure they have special ant insecticides at home depot or what not.

Thanks Tom. I picked up something at Lowes for $12. Now I'm just waiting for the rain.

Tombo (or anybody else knowledgable),

I noticed a fungus (mold?) growing in the yard this morning and took a few pictures to get your opinion on it. The first picture is with a flash, but it emphasizes the nodes(?). The other two are a close view and a further out view.

Does this look like something I should be concerned about or will it just go away on its own and not damage the grass? We have some mushrooms growing nearby, but I'm not too concerned about those.

Thanks.

post-114-0-58651600-1337815593_thumb.jpg

post-114-0-98480800-1337815607_thumb.jpg

post-114-0-85466700-1337815621_thumb.jpg

Tombo (or anybody else knowledgable),

I noticed a fungus (mold?) growing in the yard this morning and took a few pictures to get your opinion on it. The first picture is with a flash, but it emphasizes the nodes(?). The other two are a close view and a further out view.

Does this look like something I should be concerned about or will it just go away on its own and not damage the grass? We have some mushrooms growing nearby, but I'm not too concerned about those.

Thanks.

post-114-0-58651600-1337815593_thumb.jpg

post-114-0-98480800-1337815607_thumb.jpg

post-114-0-85466700-1337815621_thumb.jpg

its slime mold do to the wet weather...won't kill the grass its just unsightly. Here is a write up on it. How is your lawn doing?

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/diseases/Slime_Mold.aspx

Archived