joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea, my cypresses have been transformed. At work the arbiviates are bent to like a 60 degree angle from the snow.

I have a long row of arbiviates along one side of my property and the last storm turned them into a disaster. They were dug out of the snow but they are rather deformed at the moment. I noticed two branches were snapped.

I have a long row of arbiviates along one side of my property and the last storm turned them into a disaster. They were dug out of the snow but they are rather deformed at the moment. I noticed two branches were snapped.

Yea the arbs, cypresses, and boxwoods get hammered in this weather....eastern white pines get destroyed in ice storms.

Vole? I never heard of a vole until I just looked it up :arrowhead:

yea, they are the ones that have the above ground tunnels. They are the more damaging of the two to lawns. They are a vegatative rodent going after the grassblades and roots while moles are carnivorous, but there tunnels underground cause issues.

yea, they are the ones that have the above ground tunnels. They are the more damaging of the two to lawns. They are a vegatative rodent going after the grassblades and roots while moles are carnivorous, but there tunnels underground cause issues.

Nothing my cats can not solve. Cats love to catch voles. By the way, did you know that a vole bite is poisonous to a human?

I had big snow cover in Feb. and once it all melted in March I saw the tracks... so they can survive under deep snow pack? I didn't see holes in the snow.

Sounds like a party for them. :arrowhead:

yea try it in early march, let me know what happens. Make sure you put double the seeding rate cause your germination percentage is going to be lower.

I assume this is the same terminology as overseeding? I did one-half of my lawn in the fall with good results before the cold weather really hit. The other half is planned to be tackled in the early Spring; dethatching, aeration, overseeding (seed and soil), then lots of water. I don't think I've seen my lawn since December. I would like one more footer+, then bring on the warmer temps and outdoor work season.

I assume this is the same terminology as overseeding? I did one-half of my lawn in the fall with good results before the cold weather really hit. The other half is planned to be tackled in the early Spring; dethatching, aeration, overseeding (seed and soil), then lots of water. I don't think I've seen my lawn since December. I would like one more footer+, then bring on the warmer temps and outdoor work season.

Doing frost seeding you want to put down even more seed because the germination rate is a lot lower. The best time to seed is in fall. Warmer soil temps, less competition with weeds, and it gives the new germinating grass longer to establish unlike spring which can transition into summer very quickly. If you are seeding you can't put down pre emerge you know that correct?

Archived