• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

The best time to seed is in fall. Warmer soil temps, less competition with weeds, and it gives the new germinating grass longer to establish unlike spring which can transition into summer very quickly. If you are seeding you can't put down pre emerge you know that correct?

Yes I know, but it took so many hours to just do the one side, I did not have time to do it all in the fall. I will prob do the pre-emerg on the already completed side in early spring while overseeding the other side. Then, when do you think the earliest I can apply fertilizer (other than starter) to the newly overseeded side? May have to wait until summer. Tough call.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I know, but it took so many hours to just do the one side, I did not have time to do it all in the fall. I will prob do the pre-emerg on the already completed side in early spring while overseeding the other side. Then, when do you think the earliest I can apply fertilizer (other than starter) to the newly overseeded side? May have to wait until summer. Tough call.

you can apply fertilizer as soon as the blades get an inch or so tall. Once they get that tall you need fertilizer for them to survive because they have no source of food. Just don't overfeed them. Maybe go like .25 lbs per 1000 at first.

I assume this is the same terminology as overseeding? I did one-half of my lawn in the fall with good results before the cold weather really hit. The other half is planned to be tackled in the early Spring; dethatching, aeration, overseeding (seed and soil), then lots of water. I don't think I've seen my lawn since December. I would like one more footer+, then bring on the warmer temps and outdoor work season.

you will be fighting weeds all year long, your root system will not be established by summer

best to do it in the fall, which it sounds like was not possible in your case.

you will be fighting weeds all year long, your root system will not be established by summer

best to do it in the fall, which it sounds like was not possible in your case.

Well, it is either wait until next fall for that side, or deal with the weeds. That side is in bad shape anyway right now. The one part of it is a moderate slope and is very bare in spots. A retaining wall was re-built when I bought the home in 10/09, so the crappy landscapers (so they called themselves), did a poor job reseeding the grass area they tracked over to fix the wall. Basically, except right along the street, this portion of the lawn is mostly all on a slope. So it is either wait until fall or get a head start and deal with weeds, which are already prevalent anyway. I plan on being in this home for at least 5 more years so whatever I do will look better than before. The big question is...will I be able to get rid of the weeds eventually even if I deal with them this summer.

Alright, ill give you a score on monday. When did you plan on playing?

Monday, the way Thursday is looking right now, I might have to shoot 80. This is the first time since the weekend before boxing day blizzard that the modeling for Thursday has had a la nina/lets separate all of the short waves, we're all over the place look to it.

Monday, the way Thursday is looking right now, I might have to shoot 80. This is the first time since the weekend before boxing day blizzard that the modeling for Thursday has had a la nina/lets separate all of the short waves, we're all over the place look to it.

well the euro just came in pretty good, so you may have something to shoot for on monday...ill post the scores and what not sunday after the 0z euro...

used coffee grounds, for what?

create a front yard favorable for thundersnow and highest accums in the 5 county area.. snowstorm all caffeinated up! haha :thumbsup:

BY the way, anyone catch the donald trump golf show where he's visiting philly/jersey golf courses. The trumpster use to play at cobbs creek " you'd have to get good, you have no choice, or you'd lose a lot of money"

create a front yard favorable for thundersnow and highest accums in the 5 county area.. snowstorm all caffeinated up! haha :thumbsup:

BY the way, anyone catch the donald trump golf show where he's visiting philly/jersey golf courses. The trumpster use to play at cobbs creek " you'd have to get good, you have no choice, or you'd lose a lot of money"

Lol i have played cobbs, would of never expected him to be within a mile of that place.

looks like a cherry tree, very pretty.

Thanks. It grows like a beast, so I try to keep it in check every autumn. Its amazing how much I (as well as many of us here) love snow and winter, but at the same time love warmth and the outdoors. I guess its all about a balance of the two.

3 more weeks for me and I'm done with this winter.

sounds good then for another 4 or so more inches in late february and march, im banking on it Snowman.gif

It was interesting to see the drop off of snow and then increase back from our house to the golf course, went from about 4 solid inches to just some snow in the bunkers. We passed Frog Rock on the way home in Hammonton, at least one of their holes was totally snow covered.

It was interesting to see the drop off of snow and then increase back from our house to the golf course, went from about 4 solid inches to just some snow in the bunkers. We passed Frog Rock on the way home in Hammonton, at least one of their holes was totally snow covered.

Everything here is still solidly snow covered except some south facing bunker faces. Probably won't be till next week till we see some grass.

Played Wildwood on Sunday and it was mostly free of snow. There was only a little snow cover behind the 9th green, which had trees that blocked all sunlight. Course was in much better shape than I expected - a few of the greens appeared to be new and a bit shaggy but the others rolled pretty well.

Looking forward to the warm up (hopefully) next week so the snow cover can get out of here and I can return to playing my home course and start up my regular golf routine. Watching golf on TV the last few weeks has really made me excited for the upcoming season!

Anyone have any experience with AC courses? Setting up a weekend with friends in April down there.

I like Twisted Dunes the best. Links type layout and always seems to be in good shape. Ballamor, Sand Barrens and Shore Gate are all very nice tracks. If you have an unlimited budget, Atlantic City Country Club (open to the public) and Galloway National (private, but guests can usually play unaccompanied if you know a member) both make Top 100 lists in the country. Stone Harbor CC was a little beat up when I played it a few years ago, but new owners have taken over since then. Its a very tough course, often called gimicky, but if you like a challenge it could be worth the drive from AC. Its private but I called down and was able to get on and bring 2 guests by saying I was considering joining and paid the prevailing guest rate.

Anyone have any experience with AC courses? Setting up a weekend with friends in April down there.

If money is no object there are the two courses at Seaview/Dolce or whatever they are calling themselves these days Marriott. The Bay Course is where the ladies will play later this year, I think June. Brigantine Golf Links is a nice course too.

Archived