joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After talking with Justin apparently we aren't going very far! He's not interested in renting anything right now, he just wants it to be anything but dirt.

Well first off, you really can't do much right now. You missed the prime seed time. I mean you could try it but once first frost comes the grass growth just slows, down while root growth is still growing.....

This is what i would do if it was my yard. First off, rule of thumb if you have more than 50% of weeds their is no point in buying a herbicide which is pretty expensive and applying that. Especially in your case with basically 90% weeds/dirt. Your end result would just be bare areas. The bare areas would out number the grass you have. So what i would do, this coming spring like mid april, by roundup, which is a non selective herbicide. Basically it will kill anything it touches. Once you see everything dead. Take your mower and set it down to the lowest setting possible. Now here is where i was asking if you were going to rent anything. Cause the next step would be to get a core aerator or slit seeder and tear up your yard making a good seed bed for the seed. Im not sure how big your yard is, but you could also just take a garden rake and scarify the soil to loosen up the soil. Then apply your seed. Only thing with doing a spring seeding, is you really can't apply pre emergent for crabgrass. So you have to figure out if you want to wait till next fall which is ideal, or just do it in the spring and deal with the crabgrass which will depend on how much seed germination you get. Whatever route you take the following season you would apply the pre emergent and then during early summer you would use a selective herbicide to knock out the broadleafs. This isn't a you do it once and wham, you have a great yard. It takes a little work.

thanks so much, I will pass this on to the yard boy!

Well first off, you really can't do much right now. You missed the prime seed time. I mean you could try it but once first frost comes the grass growth just slows, down while root growth is still growing.....

This is what i would do if it was my yard. First off, rule of thumb if you have more than 50% of weeds their is no point in buying a herbicide which is pretty expensive and applying that. Especially in your case with basically 90% weeds/dirt. Your end result would just be bare areas. The bare areas would out number the grass you have. So what i would do, this coming spring like mid april, by roundup, which is a non selective herbicide. Basically it will kill anything it touches. Once you see everything dead. Take your mower and set it down to the lowest setting possible. Now here is where i was asking if you were going to rent anything. Cause the next step would be to get a core aerator or slit seeder and tear up your yard making a good seed bed for the seed. Im not sure how big your yard is, but you could also just take a garden rake and scarify the soil to loosen up the soil. Then apply your seed. Only thing with doing a spring seeding, is you really can't apply pre emergent for crabgrass. So you have to figure out if you want to wait till next fall which is ideal, or just do it in the spring and deal with the crabgrass which will depend on how much seed germination you get. Whatever route you take the following season you would apply the pre emergent and then during early summer you would use a selective herbicide to knock out the broadleafs. This isn't a you do it once and wham, you have a great yard. It takes a little work.

Good luck wxgirl! Keep us posted with progress.

LUSH

Just think, it will be all nice and swampy by mid-winter.

who you calling a lush? ;)

Yeah that area in my pic gets it the worst when it comes to swamp.

I need to bring in several yards of top soil and regrade but not into it.

This was my list:

Fert nov. 2011

Fert in march.

Fert in june.

Over seeded about 5 weeks ago.

Repeat :)

Only thing that sucks is the nut sedge.

Gonna tackle it again in summer.

Anyone else simply refuse to cut their lawn in October? I cut mine on the last day of September and proclaimed it completed until spring.

nah, i cut mine almost until november...i like it really short in the winter...if it is more than two inches long it pokes up above the snow when we get our big storms, which i don't like...

OK, tombo....what is this plague?.....it started last year, but I thought I had it beaten, but the dry hot summer has this expanding all over the sunny parts of my lawn. I tried Ortho Weed-B-Gon twice and then most recently, Trimec. It "beats it down" but does not kill it and its back for more action!

I think its Oxalis, but not sure.... (hopefully this image gets in)..

post-1762-0-53614500-1350496515_thumb.jp

OK, tombo....what is this plague?.....it started last year, but I thought I had it beaten, but the dry hot summer has this expanding all over the sunny parts of my lawn. I tried Ortho Weed-B-Gon twice and then most recently, Trimec. It "beats it down" but does not kill it and its back for more action!

I think its Oxalis, but not sure.... (hopefully this image gets in)..

post-1762-0-53614500-1350496515_thumb.jp

yup its oxalis. People get confused with that and black medic, but thats oxalis. Is ortho weed b gone a granular or spray?

yup its oxalis. People get confused with that and black medic, but thats oxalis. Is ortho weed b gone a granular or spray?

Thanks, tombo. I used the Weed B Gone spray mix (the "one container makes 2 gallons" formula). I endeavored to make a slighly more potent formula by slightly reducing the water ratio, but even that appeared to fail. I have read things like "shading" the oxalis to whither it (of course, that will whither the grass too!), some "Monterey" formula thing was supposed to work, but that seemed like it was priced slightly less than gold. I hoped our 28 degree night last week might knock it back more....but no such luck.

This stuff looks pretty nuclear to me! I'm getting concerned that radical surgery may be needed.

Thanks, tombo. I used the Weed B Gone spray mix (the "one container makes 2 gallons" formula). I endeavored to make a slighly more potent formula by slightly reducing the water ratio, but even that appeared to fail. I have read things like "shading" the oxalis to whither it (of course, that will whither the grass too!), some "Monterey" formula thing was supposed to work, but that seemed like it was priced slightly less than gold. I hoped our 28 degree night last week might knock it back more....but no such luck.

This stuff looks pretty nuclear to me! I'm getting concerned that radical surgery may be needed.

next year if you have issue in spring, try this chemical. I would give you a chemical that i know would knock it out, but its not labelled for lawns, though i use it lol. Try this chemical, it has more 2-4-d and dicamba in it

http://www.pbigordon...ID_PRODUCTS=654

did you add a sticker to the spray solution? Sounds like not enough of the spray is staying on the plant to get the effective kill dosage.

next year if you have issue in spring, try this chemical. I would give you a chemical that i know would knock it out, but its not labelled for lawns, though i use it lol. Try this chemical, it has more 2-4-d and dicamba in it

http://www.pbigordon...ID_PRODUCTS=654

Thanks Tombo....I see I can get it on Amazon...so I'll have to give it a shot (maybe even this year!).

• 1 month later...

Wes,

He'll bring out your A game.

Didn't happen, I'm not sure I have an A game. I really stunk the 1st nine and had lots of double bogies and no pars. The second nine I made three pars and shot a 44 which by my standards is really good but I also took 2 mulligans on the back nine so that score is misleading.

Didn't happen, I'm not sure I have an A game. I really stunk the 1st nine and had lots of double bogies and no pars. The second nine I made three pars and shot a 44 which by my standards is really good but I also took 2 mulligans on the back nine so that score is misleading.

Only 2 mulligans? My wife would call that a great day for me. The lack of wind this month so far has been surreal. Well that's about to change, but it has been downright pleasant golfing in the 40s (Other than the balls going nowhere).

Only 2 mulligans? My wife would call that a great day for me. The lack of wind this month so far has been surreal. Well that's about to change, but it has been downright pleasant golfing in the 40s (Other than the balls going nowhere).

The front nine I shot in the 50s which on that easy course was not good, on a tougher course the score would have been horrendous. Not sure what to make of the longer range stuff as the forecasts have been jumping around. As long as the PNA stays negative, I don't see an extended period of cold but who knows. My fishing season officially ended yesterday.

It was great Thursday even though we never really got out of the mid-40s. Friday was probably even better out there...Glad they left that tree that Sandy blew down. It adds some character to the course (which was in remarkable shape for mid-December)...

It was great Thursday even though we never really got out of the mid-40s. Friday was probably even better out there...Glad they left that tree that Sandy blew down. It adds some character to the course (which was in remarkable shape for mid-December)...

Is Tony still sinking them from the bunkers (when he feels the need for a bunker shot)?

• 5 weeks later...

Neighbor, husband and I were discussing the garden the other night. Thought if I bump this up perhaps it will become covered in snow in the coming weeks. lol

The discussion was possibly planting 3 weeks early this year.  My thought (which the guys don't agree with), is as wet as the soil is- even if it does freeze for a time, it seems rational to me to plant earlier before it gets too darn hot in July.  It would be nice to be picking some tomatoes by then instead of watching them torch. 

Archived