CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grothar, i agree with all the facts you have posted and i think everyone else here can agree we need some rain because we haven't had much. The only issue i had with your first statement you posted in the banter thread where you say drought watch by memorial day looks to be a reality. We should all know and you should know to how fast weather can change on a dime. What occurs this week could be vastly different from next week. Thats the only issue i have. Look at last summer at how dry we were till mid august then someone turned on the faucet.

Delaware River Basin NYC Reservoirs are at historical normal levels as of last Friday.

even when the forsythia was on normal bloom in early to mid april you can still wait another 2-3 weeks...i have put it down in early may with no problems. You really don't see crabgrass going till late may june. I just sprayed fairways on wednesday for poa seedhead control with some bifenthrin for hyperodes control and greens were done thursday. Last year i did it day after easter.

So you think it would be wise to wait a few more weeks before applying any spring ferts? I am taking in my first day of yardwork tomorrow which will include a general raking all over, deweeding, maybe some mulch, and maybe some planting.

So you think it would be wise to wait a few more weeks before applying any spring ferts? I am taking in my first day of yardwork tomorrow which will include a general raking all over, deweeding, maybe some mulch, and maybe some planting.

yes i would wait a couple more weeks. I mean the grass is growing, well some is, but its not in full throttle yet. Once you really notice it going give it a light dose of fert. You could put down a slow release fert down right now that will help in root development to.

yes i would wait a couple more weeks. I mean the grass is growing, well some is, but its not in full throttle yet. Once you really notice it going give it a light dose of fert. You could put down a slow release fert down right now that will help in root development to.

Any ideas on controlling or getting rid of clover? My main issue is the side yard on and around a hill. Clover seems to be sprouting like crazy and it is always the weed which gives me the hardest time.

Any ideas on controlling or getting rid of clover? My main issue is the side yard on and around a hill. Clover seems to be sprouting like crazy and it is always the weed which gives me the hardest time.

i would go with a liquid herbicide since plants uptake liquid faster and more efficiently than granular. Any product with dicamaba, 2,4,d, or mccp will do fine. I use confront on my yard and it smokes the clover. I get it through my work, but its not on the label for home lawns so you most likely wouldn't be able to get it.

I'm seeing a ton of these this year...........more than past years. Even a few clumps within my grass. Down along the Perk. Creek they are everywhere.

http://eol.org/pages/473789/overview

45568_580_360.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I have an absolute ton of these and never knew what they were. They die off before summer but in the spring they are everywhere making laying mulch difficult. Plus it seems to hold alot of water so cutting the grass is a bear too

i would go with a liquid herbicide since plants uptake liquid faster and more efficiently than granular. Any product with dicamaba, 2,4,d, or mccp will do fine. I use confront on my yard and it smokes the clover. I get it through my work, but its not on the label for home lawns so you most likely wouldn't be able to get it.

Just want to know what to buy at the retailer...any suggestions which wont kill the surrounding grass?

Just want to know what to buy at the retailer...any suggestions which wont kill the surrounding grass?

just not roundup and your fine. Look at the chemicals at a retail supplier. If the ingredients on the label contain any of those materials you should be good. I'm not sure what retailers sell. I have never looked at what they sell. I get everything for my house through my course.

I have noticed this warmth has prompted people to turn on their outside hoses and use them already. I am semi-reluctant to turn ours on just in case we still have another night of freezing temps which may crack the hose or the metal pipe. Or will I be safe and ok to turn it on?

You'll be Alrite. Below freezing temps for a few hours won't freeze up the width of the hose and cause it to expand. If it was an extended couple days I'd say otherwise.

I think i have seen that before. Not sure if whats in the picture is that. Still think its to early, weeds are just getting going really.

Tell me about it. Dandelions came out of nowhere today. While 99% of my yard was protected by ferts. I put down in the fall, my neighbors properties are out of control with dandelions and they share some seeds with my yard. :axe:

Archived