joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tony...arevwe golfing for snow or accum? ill post scores for both...

for philly to see snow fall u gotta shoot under a 94..

for philly to recieve accum of .5 or greater you gotta shoot under a 90

so we should expect 60 and sunny again? :lmao:

HOw did you shoot yesterday tom?

Well at least the warm weather is doing somebody some good.

Mild winter temperatures prove helpful to N.J. golf courses still struggling from wet summer

Published: Sunday, January 08, 2012, 9:15 AM

8007378.pngBy Dan Goldberg/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

closeDigg Stumble Upon Fark RedditShare Email Print

10420459-large.jpgRobert Sciarrino/The Star-LedgerThomas Romano, from Morris Plains, left, joins other golfers at the Pinch Brook Golf Course as the morning sun melts away the overnight frost. The mild temepratures have helped N.J. golf courses to recoup some of their losses after a rainy season.

Mild temperatures ruled out the idyllic white Christmas, but golfers and golf-course managers are seeing green.

And the warm weather couldn’t have come at a more opportune time as many public courses that usually sleep through January under a blanket of snow are still open. That’s a blessing after having struggled through a wet and wild 2010. From early spring floods, to Irene’s late-summer landfall, to the freak October snowstorm, golf courses lost prime playing time throughout the year.

"The whole year was terrible," said Bob Ransone, deputy director/golf management for Somerset County. "Weather wise, this was one of the worst years."

Climate figures confirm that last year was indeed the worst — at least since Walter Hagen swung a club. The state broke a record for precipitation, said state climatologist David Robinson.

But December was a reprieve — no snow and warm weather, which has kept some courses open later into the winter than ever before. Those courses around the state that regularly stay open in January are seeing increased business.

New Jersey experienced the fifth-warmest December since 1895, Robinson said. Temperatures hovered in the 50’s, offering an excuse to keep the golf bag in the trunk, and a chance for courses to make up for a lackluster year.

Somerset’s revenue was off 7 percent at the end of November, Ransone said, but a strong final month meant the county finished off only 5 percent.

Essex County’s revenue was down about 4 percent heading into the final month of 2011, according to Tim Christ, director of golf operations, but business booned in December.

"We usually do $20,000 in revenue and this year we did nearly $100,000," Christ said. "It was a nice bonus."

And the trend, like the mild weather, is continuing into the new year. Ransone said Somerset County, which keeps two of its five courses open through the winter, has already grossed more in the first week of January than it did in the whole first month of 2011.

"If the temperatures are in the 40’s, (the course) is going to be jammed," said Lenny Cinquegrano, golf shop supervisor at Pinch Brook in Morris County "The tee sheets are really weather dependent."

In December, Pinch Brook saw as many as 170 rounds in one day. A good day in the summer only sees 250 rounds, Cinquegrano said, and that’s with an extra four hours of daylight to work with.

In Union County, Galloping Hill and Ashbrook are packed with players.

10420475-large.jpgRobert Sciarrino/The Star-LedgerAs the morning sun melts away the overnight frost, golfers at the Pinch Brook Golf Course take advantage of the unseasonably warm weather.

"We saw a significant increase from what we had budgeted for December," said Armando Sanchez, who heads Union County’s division of golf operations. "Almost two or three times the amount. The play has been that dramatic."

Middlesex County, which keeps three courses open throughout the year, has seen an even greater boon.

The Meadows is up six-fold, said Jane Leal, director of administration for the Middlesex County Improvement Authority, compared to last December’s numbers. Play at Raritan Landing has tripled, and at Tammarack play has more than doubled.

"We’ve had some pretty good play," Leal said. "When you lose something because of the weather, nothing makes up for it, but it certainly helps."

The courses are in solid shape and require little maintenance this time of year.

"We don’t have to cut grass now," Sanchez said, "Just setting pins and a little cleanup."

Cinquegrano said the tee blocks have been moved up on the par- 3’s to keep any sort of damage in one location. There are two pins on the green to limit the wear and traffic. Players move the flag from one pin to the other so that the next group doesn’t tread over the same area.

But as long as the sun keeps shining, the traffic will be beating a path toward those pins, and that’s a good problem to have.

"It keeps golf in the front of everyone’s mind," Ransone said. "It means more club sales for us, people come out and register early. It keeps people talking about the golf."

tony...arevwe golfing for snow or accum? ill post scores for both...

for philly to see snow fall u gotta shoot under a 94..

for philly to recieve accum of .5 or greater you gotta shoot under a 90

Well we scrambled and shot a 79, we only had 26 putts. If it was just my game I think it would have been around a 92.

One person's bust is another person's boon, golf courses must be doing very well with all of this warm weather, plus alot of it has been coinciding with Fridays and Weekends.

At least ski areas will be able to make snow this weekend.

The owners/GMs of the golf courses are happy, but the super's are not as winter golf takes a toll on the course. Also, most greenskeepers only keep a skelton crew on for maintenance projects, which have taken a back seat this winter.

The owners/GMs of the golf courses are happy, but the super's are not as winter golf takes a toll on the course. Also, most greenskeepers only keep a skelton crew on for maintenance projects, which have taken a back seat this winter.

I'm sure they are not, Tombo can attest to this, I have read articles about how courses get beat up by winter play.

I'm sure they are not, Tombo can attest to this, I have read articles about how courses get beat up by winter play.

Yup, winter play sucks. Granted its increased revenue, but during the winter months nothing ever dries out. Then you get the members driving carts everywhere and places just get beat up. We have divots the size of footballs on some of the fairways that need to be attended to. Right now we also have 2 holes that the club are redoing and making changes and its in the wettest part of the golf course. It looks like a mud wrestling show was held in the area. Not only the physical damage, but its higher demand when you have limited people. We only have 5 guys right now and the club expects us to do normal chores as if we have our full staff.

Before the rainstorm, Iwas getting more roll on the tee shots than at any time during the summer and fall due to the record rainfall. Wacky year - my neighbor's Zoyza (SP) grass which is normally dormant this time of year has patches of green.

Yup I think Ramblewood had more water in their bunkers in Aug/Sep than they have now (well at least before the previous night).

Before the rainstorm, Iwas getting more roll on the tee shots than at any time during the summer and fall due to the record rainfall. Wacky year - my neighbor's Zoyza (SP) grass which is normally dormant this time of year has patches of green.

id bet a buck its probably some cool season grass mixed in the zoysia. Warm season grasses start to fade once soil temperatures drop below 60. With these cold nights and frost, i can almost garuntee there is no warm season grass greening up.

Yup I think Ramblewood had more water in their bunkers in Aug/Sep than they have now (well at least before the previous night).

well think about it, the ET rate is virtually zilch. So while we did get a ton of rain in late summer, nothing is absorbing the water. Also, they probably don't have the staff to pump out bunkers to.

they do, and the course we've been playing up here is getting trashed from all the winter play this year. It's strange having to wait so much playing the first week of Jan. LOL

Going to be nice down there in two weeks, might break out the shorts and come down for a road trip ;-)

HNY

Yup, winter play sucks. Granted its increased revenue, but during the winter months nothing ever dries out. Then you get the members driving carts everywhere and places just get beat up. We have divots the size of footballs on some of the fairways that need to be attended to. Right now we also have 2 holes that the club are redoing and making changes and its in the wettest part of the golf course. It looks like a mud wrestling show was held in the area. Not only the physical damage, but its higher demand when you have limited people. We only have 5 guys right now and the club expects us to do normal chores as if we have our full staff.

The course I play at has been cart path only most of the winter... we usually walk anyway to help stay warm. But a lot of the guys have been complaining that the greens haven't been cut or rolled, or the fact that the pins are only moved once a week. Its comical in the sense this time last year golf courses were snow covered or frozed solid.

they do, and the course we've been playing up here is getting trashed from all the winter play this year. It's strange having to wait so much playing the first week of Jan. LOL

Going to be nice down there in two weeks, might break out the shorts and come down for a road trip ;-)

HNY

I do have some weekday days off coming up the expected blowtorch week, don't know if the weather will coincide with those days, but Deerwood is open if you want revenge.

Happy New Year too!

id bet a buck its probably some cool season grass mixed in the zoysia. Warm season grasses start to fade once soil temperatures drop below 60. With these cold nights and frost, i can almost garuntee there is no warm season grass greening up.

They guy that takes care of my mom's lawn reseeded it completely in mid-Oct. He had to mow it in mid-Dec as it was over a foot tall. The grass is still growing and is close to a foot in length again and very green (at least it was on new year's). Her lawn hasn't looked this good in years...

Yeah. that brings up an interesting rules interupretation - normally you are allowed to drop out of the water in the bunker no closer to the hole in the bunker. But what do you do if it is full to the brim? Also I have seen people lose their ball in a water filled bunker - stroke and distance?

Archived