joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I am starting to get a grub issue. Little holes in the grass area are appearing which some animal is making and trying to eat something. And I was picking weeds yesterday and under a weed in the red mulch I found these little white cylindrical objects that were within a sac which held something unborn..almost like a cocoon. Could these be grubs? Ugghhh!

I think I am starting to get a grub issue. Little holes in the grass area are appearing which some animal is making and trying to eat something. And I was picking weeds yesterday and under a weed in the red mulch I found these little white cylindrical objects that were within a sac which held something unborn..almost like a cocoon. Could these be grubs? Ugghhh!

Sounds like skunks trying to eat the grubs. Skunks can ruin your yard. I will let Tombo give his recommendation to get rid of the grubs but you may have to get grub killer right away on the yard.

take a picture...it doesn't sound like grubs...you would know a grub they are like an inch long almost look like caterpillars but they are fatter. When they are in the soil they have a clasic "c" shape. Grubs would not be in little sacs, nor are they little. It could be ant eggs, i have seen that to.

well if its grubs, pull up some of the turf, you will see them there. The turf should pull up easily. Yea usually you want to put that down in early july. Look tomorrow to see if its grubs, if you do i will tell you what to do.

Turf was difficult to pull up and actually didn't really pull up at all. I ended up not seeing any grubs, but saw ants and some type of small fly species. Not sure if they would kill off the grass like that though.

from now till first week in oct. Are you going to have your lawn crew or im no sure if you aerate you yard? But i would kill everything...then mow it as low as possible with your mower then slice seed or double core aerate and seed over it.

Ok, applied the weedkiller yesterday. In addition to mowing, would you rake up all the dead stuff?

Also, do you have seed recommendation?

Ok, applied the weedkiller yesterday. In addition to mowing, would you rake up all the dead stuff?

Also, do you have seed recommendation?

wait till its dead, mow it as low as possible, and bag it. Then you won't have to worry about raking up much. Then core aerate or slit seed the lawn...what is your lawn like sun wise?

Any recommendations on good grass seed brands, that aren't real expensive?

Good seed brands don;t always mean good seed. Their is a thing in the turf industry called pure life seed. It takes the bulk of seed, purity, and germination percent which determines how much of that seed is liable to germinate in that bag. Heres a little description on it, its easy to do

http://www.granitese...d/live-seed.php

Good seed brands don;t always mean good seed. Their is a thing in the turf industry called pure life seed. It takes the bulk of seed, purity, and germination percent which determines how much of that seed is liable to germinate in that bag. Heres a little description on it, its easy to do

http://www.granitese...d/live-seed.php

Cool. Thanks.

yea i haven't had much luck. I seeded it again for the 3rd time today. Now watch thursdays storms crush us.

Well, Thursday may feature at least a broken line of convection ahead of the strong front. The potential is there for locally heavy downpours. Maybe the 3rd time is the charm for you. ;)

I found grass germinating in a garden roughly 80 feet (downhill) from where I planted it last week in the back of my yard. :arrowhead:

That is a problem!

Interesting........

Goldenrods are, in some places, held as a sign of good luck or good fortune. [5] They are considered weeds by many in North America but they are prized as garden plants in Europe, where British gardeners adopted goldenrod long before Americans did as garden subjects. Goldenrod only began to gain some acceptance in American gardening (other than wildflower gardening) during the 1980s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldenrod

Interesting........

Goldenrods are, in some places, held as a sign of good luck or good fortune. [5] They are considered weeds by many in North America but they are prized as garden plants in Europe, where British gardeners adopted goldenrod long before Americans did as garden subjects. Goldenrod only began to gain some acceptance in American gardening (other than wildflower gardening) during the 1980s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldenrod

everything can be considered a weed, even cool season grasses that we use for lawns.

Archived