• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

Think I am going to give in and have a local company aerate my lawn. I just hope they can do it in the next few days. Waiting on an estimate because I have no clue how much it costs? Anyone else have this done and what was the cost?

depends on acreage and how much they want to gouge you.

can you run a garden tilller? you could rent an aerator it works much the same way for probably under $100

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lawn was aerated today, deciding to overseed tomorrow early afternoon with the rain incoming starting tomorrow evening. we will seed if germination happens. i should only have to water tomorrow until Friday. I hope it is not too late.

going on 8 days and the ryegrass hasn't germinated yet....later in the season than I wanted to seed but the weather did not cooperate.

11 days since I aerated and overseeded and nada. I'm beginning to think my lawn is cursed.

I have over seeded with perennial rygrass at 25%-35% mixture with Kentucky Bluegrass and Fescue. It took me several fall seasons to realize this is the mixture to get grass up real quick- one week. Many seed mixtures do not even contain perennial ryegrass and are geared for warmer temps(late summer or late spring) that are sold in Walmart and Home Depot (usually leftover from the summer months sitting on the shelf and being sold as time to plant fall seed at a discounted price) IMHO these mixtures should be classified as warm weather seed mixtures only and not for utilized for over seeding after September 30 for our area. This should be printed on the bag. It takes at least two weeks for Kentucky Blue to germinate even in warm weather. When soil temps drop back into the 50's, it becomes difficult for germination like we have now.

I have over seeded with perennial rygrass at 25%-35% mixture with Kentucky Bluegrass and Fescue. It took me several fall seasons to realize this is the mixture to get grass up real quick- one week. Many seed mixtures do not even contain perennial ryegrass and are geared for warmer temps(late summer or late spring) that are sold in Walmart and Home Depot (usually leftover from the summer months sitting on the shelf and being sold as time to plant fall seed at a discounted price) IMHO these mixtures should be classified as warm weather seed mixtures only and not for utilized for over seeding after September 30 for our area. This should be printed on the bag. It takes at least two weeks for Kentucky Blue to germinate even in warm weather. When soil temps drop back into the 50's, it becomes difficult for germination like we have now.

ryegrass is ment to come up quickly, but should not be a dominant turf type. It gets hit with way tomany diseases that can destroy a yard. 25-35% per rye mixture in that blend you listed is way to much and would make it very hard do to competition for the other grasses.

ryegrass is ment to come up quickly, but should not be a dominant turf type. It gets hit with way tomany diseases that can destroy a yard. 25-35% per rye mixture in that blend you listed is way to much and would make it very hard do to competition for the other grasses.

I agree for the dominance of turf type, bluegrass is a must. The addition of perennial ryegrass to bluegrass seed helps to develop a tougher sod that stands up to tougher wear and the rye will fill in while the Bluegrass germinates (4-8 weeks). Bluegrass and perennial rye are good companion grasses for athletic fields and playgrounds. These different combinations of grass seeds works exceedingly well for newly planted seedbeds and overseeding existing stands of bluegrass lawns. The balanced mix is chosen to utilize the specialties derived per each kind; blending traits to produce the best composite coverage possible. Including the faster growing Ryegrass also produces a lawn cover while the Bluegrass grows in.

• 2 weeks later...

Tombo,

The landscaper came to aerate and put down new seed about 2 1/2 weeks ago and the grass is growing in nicely in the front yard. The side and back (which faces north) is struggling, so the landscaper is coming back to put down more seed and compost.

They said that they put down a starter fertilizer when they seeded and are now recommending that I put down a fertilizer to promote root growth. Should I be looking to put down another started fert or something more like a Scotts Turfbuilder (32-0-4)?

I was wondering if this would be a bad idea with winter appearing to be coming early. Would it hurt to put down the Turfbuilder now and the winterizer in about 3-4 weeks?

thanks!

I'll be putting up before and after pictures soon so that you can see the results of your suggestions

Think I am going to give in and have a local company aerate my lawn. I just hope they can do it in the next few days. Waiting on an estimate because I have no clue how much it costs? Anyone else have this done and what was the cost?

I just paid a local company about $550 to aerate twice (in two different directions), spread lime, fertilizer, and put down new seed over the entire area (approx 5500 sq ft). They also top dressed the area with fine black compost.

Archived