Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

Tombo,

The landscaper came to aerate and put down new seed about 2 1/2 weeks ago and the grass is growing in nicely in the front yard. The side and back (which faces north) is struggling, so the landscaper is coming back to put down more seed and compost.

They said that they put down a starter fertilizer when they seeded and are now recommending that I put down a fertilizer to promote root growth. Should I be looking to put down another started fert or something more like a Scotts Turfbuilder (32-0-4)?

I was wondering if this would be a bad idea with winter appearing to be coming early. Would it hurt to put down the Turfbuilder now and the winterizer in about 3-4 weeks?

thanks!

I'll be putting up before and after pictures soon so that you can see the results of your suggestions

the north side will probably struggle the rest of the year do to the lack of warmth and sun. To promote root growth its basically another starter fertilizer. Phosphorous, the 2nd number in an analysis on a bag is for root development. Has the grass already grown that they are recommending the phosphorous for or is it for the seeds they are putting down? When you apply a winterizer thats basically what you are doing also. Soil temperatures are slower to cool down than air temperatures obviously. While the top growth has stopped once into november, the roots continue to grow. So that added fertilizer helps it grow. No you will be fine if you fertilize now and then the winterizer around or just after thanksgiving. Even if we get a shot of colder weather it won't be constant and it will warm up to normal again with some above normal days.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the north side will probably struggle the rest of the year do to the lack of warmth and sun. To promote root growth its basically another starter fertilizer. Phosphorous, the 2nd number in an analysis on a bag is for root development. Has the grass already grown that they are recommending the phosphorous for or is it for the seeds they are putting down? When you apply a winterizer thats basically what you are doing also. Soil temperatures are slower to cool down than air temperatures obviously. While the top growth has stopped once into november, the roots continue to grow. So that added fertilizer helps it grow. No you will be fine if you fertilize now and then the winterizer around or just after thanksgiving. Even if we get a shot of colder weather it won't be constant and it will warm up to normal again with some above normal days.

Sounds good Tombo, thanks. I believe the fertilizer that they are recommending is for the new grass that is growing, but since they are adding more seed and compost to the stuggling areas today, it won't hurt there either. I'll probably pick up the starter fert that is 24-24-4 and apply it either today or tomorrow. Hopefully Lowe's still has some in stock!

Thanks again!

Sounds good Tombo, thanks. I believe the fertilizer that they are recommending is for the new grass that is growing, but since they are adding more seed and compost to the stuggling areas today, it won't hurt there either. I'll probably pick up the starter fert that is 24-24-4 and apply it either today or tomorrow. Hopefully Lowe's still has some in stock!

Thanks again!

for the new grass i wouldn't do a starter, i would do a standard fertilizer. Its going to be tough to get a good catch right now because the germination is extended do to the cooler temps. You will probably have to hit that in spring, re seeding it.

for the new grass i wouldn't do a starter, i would do a standard fertilizer. Its going to be tough to get a good catch right now because the germination is extended do to the cooler temps. You will probably have to hit that in spring, re seeding it.

ok. I thought you said to use a starter to promote the growth of the roots in the new grass. You would instead recommend that I put down a standard fertilizer with something like 32-0-4 now, and then put down the winterizer around Thanksgiving?

ok. I thought you said to use a starter to promote the growth of the roots in the new grass. You would instead recommend that I put down a standard fertilizer with something like 32-0-4 now, and then put down the winterizer around Thanksgiving?

you put down a starter to get the initial root development going. Once you have done one mowing go to a standard fertilizer. The analysis you have given would work fine One thing people don't realize also, in our soil the amount of phosphorous present is unbelievable. I know in PA, they will son have a law that bands the use of phosphorous. Their is plenty of phosphorous in the soil you just have to have a good pH so the phosphorous is available to the plant and not bound up. When you put down you winter fert. Theoretically all you are doing is feeding the roots, since all the top growth has ceased. Put down the winterizer around t giving or just after something like a 3-1-3 or 2-02 ratio. You want the potassium to be high becvause it helps with cold hardiness.

I just paid a local company about $550 to aerate twice (in two different directions), spread lime, fertilizer, and put down new seed over the entire area (approx 5500 sq ft). They also top dressed the area with fine black compost.

My company was supposed to aerate and seed two weeks ago, then a week ago, then yesterday...now they say they can't get out here until next tuesday. hoping it's not too late for it to be worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...

got in a couple of 1st time rounds in Monmouth County this season, earlier in the summer played Battleground & yesterday we hit Colts Neck

after an early frost delay turned out to be an awesome fall day for golf, rates are down to $40 to walk & the course was in great shape, greens were consistent & fast - hate to see what they're running in the summertime, bunkers were immaculate, trust me I was in many of them, amazing after this stretch of weather, even from the back tees it's not too long at 6200 yds

if you're interested get there soon because they're already marking out the temporary greens

• 2 weeks later...

Played at Easton CC (Mass.) the morning of my cousins wedding. The greens were fantastic for early novemeber....very true rolling.

Also they had a shotgun start for general play on weekends. 830 start, however the drawback we had a frost delay since the entire course has to be cleared compared to just the first stating holes. Interesting in that they do it once the clocks flip. Makes sense as everyone plays quicker and you only have to staff the course for 4 hours or so.

Greens fees, cart, lunch afterwards for $41

• 4 weeks later...

Well this pattern is sofrostymelt.gif I didn't get a chance to ask Tombo, but figure to break it before the end of this year, I'll have to hit or break par at the executive golf course this afternoon. Wish me luck or tell me to stop after 14 holes and use that score.snowwindow.gif

what are you playing for? no snow threats...maybe play for a pattern change or ssw

what are you playing for? no snow threats...maybe play for a pattern change or ssw

Train wreck whatever I was playing for, shot a 77 (par 68), bogeyed 6 of the 7 par 3s, the balls flew nowhere, I left alot of shots short. Golf is such a funny game, my wife and I scrambled at Golden Pheasant on Wednesday, we shot a 76 and had two birdies on the front 9 par 3s, both my tee shots to within four feet of the pin.

I did my final grass cut this morning (I think).

Train wreck whatever I was playing for, shot a 77 (par 68), bogeyed 6 of the 7 par 3s, the balls flew nowhere, I left alot of shots short. Golf is such a funny game, my wife and I scrambled at Golden Pheasant on Wednesday, we shot a 76 and had two birdies on the front 9 par 3s, both my tee shots to within four feet of the pin.

I did my final grass cut this morning (I think).

is this a short course with all those par 3's?

yea most public courses i have seen have you play off the forward tees

They only have two sets of tees, white for the back and blue for the forward. They rarely set the whites all the way back. It (Kresson) is not an optimally maintained golf course. Its too bad, while its short, it could be really neat to play. I like it because I'm not a long hitter so it gives me the chance to play nearly every club in my bag while on a regular golf course I'm mainly driver, 3 wood, rescue club :whistle: and wedges. Plus I can do a round in two to two and a half hours.

They only have two sets of tees, white for the back and blue for the forward. They rarely set the whites all the way back. It (Kresson) is not an optimally maintained golf course. Its too bad, while its short, it could be really neat to play. I like it because I'm not a long hitter so it gives me the chance to play nearly every club in my bag while on a regular golf course I'm mainly driver, 3 wood, rescue club :whistle: and wedges. Plus I can do a round in two to two and a half hours.

Tony,

Despite temps getting into the teens four consecutive morns recently here, my cold hardy stuff like spinach, Asian mustards, leeks, parsley, thyme, sage, bunching onions, parsnips, salsify and rutabaga are rolling right along. Really extended the season. Do you do anything cold hardy in your garden?

Tony,

Despite temps getting into the teens four consecutive morns recently here, my cold hardy stuff like spinach, Asian mustards, leeks, parsley, thyme, sage, bunching onions, parsnips, salsify and rutabaga are rolling right along. Really extended the season. Do you do anything cold hardy in your garden?

Jamie,

Broccoli raab and lettuce still going.

Jamie,

Broccoli raab and lettuce still going.

Half of my greens bit the dust but my tatsoi mustard and Tuscan kale is still going, along of course with leeks and root veggies.

One thing....anyone who grows garlic, try snipping the greens and adding to recipes, salads, etc. Leave one behind so it can recover, but it's a real treat. Quite good.

Wow, that's my low round too. I shot it once there on the red and white tees, and another time at Pennsauken. Neither were any great feat, but it felt fantastic to break 90...

I missed the boat on being a longer driver and have to pretty much make up for playing most par 4(s) in 5 or 6 with the par 3(s) and 5(s). On a full length course I won't ever break 80; I think 86 is my lowest round on a par 72. We were on Red and Blue today and managed to not lose any balls on those blue par 5(s). Haven't played Pennsauken in a while, always was a pretty well maintained course from what I recall. We haven't been to Indian Springs much lately, our experiences last couple of times was they were shoe-horning everyone in, They let the sand go (not that Ramblewood's sand would ever be mistaken for Augusta National) too.

Archived