• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

Thanks. I also notice that if I bag it does not happen. I do have a much thicker lawn this year after overseeding last fall, which may have an impact. I am going to try to throw more tall fescue in the mix this fall. The only probably with the tall fescue is the bunching effect. But is is my preferred choice of grass.

If you seed it properly it shouldn't bunch. I have seen it bunch when people core aerate then seed it. The seed comes up in the cored holes and gives that bunch look. Also, don't just limit yourself to tall fescue, you don't want to have a monostand. Brown patch is pretty devastating to tall fescue. If its you grass of choice maybe go like a 60-70 percent fescue, then the rest mix between bluegrass and rye. The bluegrass is good because it will recover faster than fescue during drought stress and wear do to its creeping ability.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ideally I'd take a Fescue/Bluegrass mix. I am not sold on the ryegrass...the yard is a work in progress, but much better than when I bought the property 2 yrs ago. I am learning the Fall is the key time for the future of your turf.

If you seed it properly it shouldn't bunch. I have seen it bunch when people core aerate then seed it. The seed comes up in the cored holes and gives that bunch look. Also, don't just limit yourself to tall fescue, you don't want to have a monostand. Brown patch is pretty devastating to tall fescue. If its you grass of choice maybe go like a 60-70 percent fescue, then the rest mix between bluegrass and rye. The bluegrass is good because it will recover faster than fescue during drought stress and wear do to its creeping ability.

Ideally I'd take a Fescue/Bluegrass mix. I am not sold on the ryegrass...the yard is a work in progress, but much better than when I bought the property 2 yrs ago. I am learning the Fall is the key time for the future of your turf.

fall is ideally the best time to seed. The fall is when you repair and recover your lawn from the damage of the summer.

fall is ideally the best time to seed. The fall is when you repair and recover your lawn from the damage of the summer.

I will be doing just this in the Fall! After the construction of my new garage, I am trying to grow new grass along one side and along portion of the new driveway where I had to build things up with new top soil. The heat and lack of rain sure is no help trying to grow grass. I am now just trying to keep the new grass that is a few inches tall from dying. A reseed is in order this Fall!

Current garden status is a little dry. The Mr. just won't listen when I speak as he felt rain was coming yesterday when I told him it won't make here. Hm, why listen to the amatuer weather fan? What does she know? Although I have no clue how to hook the generator to water, I will give it a try this evening. I'd like to get water on the tomatoes before the real heat arrives Thurs.

Groundhogs ate every single bean this year after planting 3 times. Fail, not one bean

-but there are 4 or 5 less groundhogs. Zucchini doing well, thankfully he spaced the planting so I can keep up!

Yield on red beets is a little over a bushel. 17 pints completed with approx. 1\2 bushel still to cook, pickel and can.

From the advice on here and Google research, the Fall is the opportune time to overseed. Last fall I manually dethatched and overseeded and that side of my yard had had numerous compliments this year. The other side is coming this fall and I am going to incorporate aeration into the mix. If you like good grass, hard work pays off.

I will be doing just this in the Fall! After the construction of my new garage, I am trying to grow new grass along one side and along portion of the new driveway where I had to build things up with new top soil. The heat and lack of rain sure is no help trying to grow grass. I am now just trying to keep the new grass that is a few inches tall from dying. A reseed is in order this Fall!

From the advice on here and Google research, the Fall is the opportune time to overseed. Last fall I manually dethatched and overseeded and that side of my yard had had numerous compliments this year. The other side is coming this fall and I am going to incorporate aeration into the mix. If you like good grass, hard work pays off.

the reason why fall is better than spring is because:

a) weed pressure is less

b soil temperatures are higher

c) better shot of the seedlings surviving with the cooler weather instead of heading into summer.

Mow as short as possible before anything...then try to pull any weeds remaining. Dethatch area, aerate if possible, then overseed, and add some topsoil or even the Scotts overseeding soil. Worked wonders for me last fall. I think I did the process mid-September. As always, the key is consistent watering after seeding.

If you have more weeds than grass, it may be time to start over.

This fall I plan on getting some top soil a decent amount to spread out to put grass seed onto. But would a good tilling help first to breakup weed roots to avoid them from growing out through the new top soil?

Question: I'm watching TruGreen apply something to my 80 year old neighbors burnt out lawn. They never water the yard, so why the pay the $$$ baffles me. It actually looks worse than mine. Sad.

Anyway, anyone know if they pay upfront in the spring for the services for the whole summer? I can't believe they'd pay as they go through the summer with the lawn looking the way it does. They are totally getting ripped off.

Question: I'm watching TruGreen apply something to my 80 year old neighbors burnt out lawn. They never water the yard, so why the pay the $$ baffles me. It actually looks worse than mine. Sad.

Anyway, anyone know if they pay upfront in the spring for the services for the whole summer? I can't believe they'd pay as they go through the summer with the lawn looking the way it does. They are totally getting ripped off.

yea i believe they pay up front before the season...then they can add extras during the season

yea i believe they pay up front before the season...then they can add extras during the season

Gotcha. Thanks.

Talk about pissing away $$$. If I had in-ground sprinklers, sure...I'd be all for proper weed control but to dump those chemicals into the lawn and never water. What a waste.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Talk about pissing away $$. If I had in-ground sprinklers, sure...I'd be all for proper weed control but to dump those chemicals into the lawn and never water. What a waste.

just shows you how much they care. You shouldnt be applying herbicides when the turf is stressed.

Yeah. The guy putting down the stuff in a half-azzed manner alone made me shake my head. Oh well. Just gotta mind my own business.

Who knows what he was putting down it was either a herbicide for weeds, a slow release fertilizer, fungicides for dollar spot, or a patch disease or may be an insecticide for grubs or chinch bugs.

Who knows what he was putting down it was either a herbicide for weeds, a slow release fertilizer, fungicides for dollar spot, or a patch disease or may be an insecticide for grubs or chinch bugs.

There were two apps.

One was from a hose....spray.

The other was from a typical spread fertilizer wagon.

Tombo, let me know if you can figure this out....

All my regular coneflowers are blooming........I've had one of these (below) for a few years...

echinacea-coconut-lime.jpg

Its bloomed every year, but this year its starts to bloom, but instead of getting its white petals, new little green stems and flower buds are sprouting out of the middle of each original flower. Ever see or hear of this?

my guess would be insecticide for grubs, but like you said who knows.

did you get lucky with any of these thunderstorms lately? My courses "rain shield" is in full effect and we have had nothing for over 3 weeks.

did you get lucky with any of these thunderstorms lately? My courses "rain shield" is in full effect and we have had nothing for over 3 weeks.

We got the storms the first week of july 1.5 inches, thats been it. Everything is brown except irrigated areas.

Tombo, let me know if you can figure this out....

All my regular coneflowers are blooming........I've had one of these (below) for a few years...

echinacea-coconut-lime.jpg

Its bloomed every year, but this year its starts to bloom, but instead of getting its white petals, new little green stems and flower buds are sprouting out of the middle of each original flower. Ever see or hear of this?

are all of your cone flowers doing this or just this set?

I usually put down grub control this time of year. Last I didn't due to lack of rain and will probably not do so again this year, unless the rains return. But my question is, do you need to worry about grub control when it's dry like this? My lawn is brown these days. I don't think there's anything for the grubs to feed on. Just wondering if anyone has any insights.

I usually put down grub control this time of year. Last I didn't due to lack of rain and will probably not do so again this year, unless the rains return. But my question is, do you need to worry about grub control when it's dry like this? My lawn is brown these days. I don't think there's anything for the grubs to feed on. Just wondering if anyone has any insights.

yes, when its really dry like this its the worse. Because any little damage to the turfs root system and its going to be magnified 10 fold. Last year at the golf course we had some of our worse grub damage in the fall. In a wet year the damage can be hidden sometimes do to the excess amounts of rain, the plants arent stress thus they can recover easier.

Yeah, I knew that the Fall is the best time to grow grass seed but I wanted to get some grass growing in my backyard where I had a new garage built. It is holding its own so far, but reseeding will be needed this Fall to beef it up.

Anyone else's yard taking a serious beating due to the heat? I know we are entering drought conditions too, but the cool-season grasses take a serious beating/dormancy with these temps. The tall fescue is still thriving where it is prevalent. This lends more credence to me overseeding with 70% tall fescue this fall. the rest bluegrass.

Anyone else's yard taking a serious beating due to the heat? I know we are entering drought conditions too, but the cool-season grasses take a serious beating/dormancy with these temps. The tall fescue is still thriving where it is prevalent. This lends more credence to me overseeding with 70% tall fescue this fall. the rest bluegrass.

tall fescue is the best drought tolerant, while bluegrass is the best recovering grass. Fescue is the best drought tolerant because it has a deeper root system than the other cool season grasses, thus it can obtain water easier.

Archived