Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

post-182-0-85933200-1305506644.jpg

Tombo,

Here is what it looks like. Is that a fungus. There are a few spots like that.

I AM THINKING I MIGHT NEED TO FERTILIZE AGAIN.

Thanks,

Rossi

jeez, thats blurry as heck...can you take a better pic? Thats either red thread, dollar spot, or maybe urine stain from a dog looking at it off the top of my head.....is there any lesions on the leaf blade like this....

dollar_spot_closeup_big.jpg

or does it looks like this

red-thread.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jeez, thats blurry as heck...can you take a better pic? Thats either red thread, dollar spot, or maybe urine stain from a dog looking at it off the top of my head.....is there any lesions on the leaf blade like this....

dollar_spot_closeup_big.jpg

or does it looks like this

red-thread.jpg

Tombo,

It looks like your second picture.

Does that get treated with additional fertilizer or fungus control?

Thanks,

Rossi

Tombo,

It looks like your second picture.

Does that get treated with additional fertilizer or fungus control?

Thanks,

Rossi

does it have red like mycellium like threads on the grass? If so this disease is called red thread, its a low nitrogen cool wet weather disease. Its active in the spring time and fall. When was the last time you fertilized? Because you don't want to keep nuking the lawn with fertilizer, because that will promote other diseases down the road and its also not good for the turf physiologically.

does it have red like mycellium like threads on the grass? If so this disease is called red thread, its a low nitrogen cool wet weather disease. Its active in the spring time and fall. When was the last time you fertilized? Because you don't want to keep nuking the lawn with fertilizer, because that will promote other diseases down the road and its also not good for the turf physiologically.

I fertilized the first week in April and you said to do iwth 1/2 of the normal amount. Do I need to fertilize again and if so at what rates?

Also does addiitonal iron in the fertilizer have any other benefits other than greening the lawn more than normal?

Thanks,

Rossi

I fertilized the first week in April and you said to do iwth 1/2 of the normal amount. Do I need to fertilize again and if so at what rates?

Also does addiitonal iron in the fertilizer have any other benefits other than greening the lawn more than normal?

Thanks,

Rossi

Do you plan on fertilizing during the summer, like spoon feeding or using milorganite? If you are go with half the rate again. If not, then go with a slow release fertilizer at the rate on the bag, then don't fertilize till august.

Iron only greens up the lawn, doesn't make it grow. Iron is a key component in chlorophyll which is where you get the green color.

Does anybody know of a good proven product you can put down on your lawn to combat dog urine patches? I finally figured that all the spots I've been seeing are related to the dog. I've read that putting down extra lime may help and that maybe there are some supplements you can give the dog to lower nitrogen levels in their urine. Giving her more water will help I'm sure but I need additional measures.

Does anybody know of a good proven product you can put down on your lawn to combat dog urine patches? I finally figured that all the spots I've been seeing are related to the dog. I've read that putting down extra lime may help and that maybe there are some supplements you can give the dog to lower nitrogen levels in their urine. Giving her more water will help I'm sure but I need additional measures.

only thing I can think of is to water the area immediately after the dog to dilute the urea.

that or have the dog piss in the neighbors yard unsure.gif

Lime wouldn't do anything. Lime raises the pH. Dog urine has nothing to do with the acidity. Its the urea in their urine that kills the grass. If you take note, the area thats dead is under the direct beam of their piss. While the fringes are dark green, cause it actually fertilizes it. It basically a liquid fertilizer burn.

Thanks,

Rossi

im also starting to see some leaf spot out there.

Tombo or whomever else, attached are 3 photos I just took after mowing the lawn. Looks like some type of disease has developed and I think it has to do with the Scotts fertilizer I used last Saturday. I used less than the recommended amount and it seems to be killing good grass. This was the Scotts Turf Builder with weed control. I have been mowing high and mowed today at almost 4 inches since it was so tall. I plan on mowing again Sunday an inch or so lower. Thoughts?

Tombo or whomever else, attached are 3 photos I just took after mowing the lawn. Looks like some type of disease has developed and I think it has to do with the Scotts fertilizer I used last Saturday. I used less than the recommended amount and it seems to be killing good grass. This was the Scotts Turf Builder with weed control. I have been mowing high and mowed today at almost 4 inches since it was so tall. I plan on mowing again Sunday an inch or so lower. Thoughts?

Chris, first off not sure when you last sharpened your mower but it looks like you need it cause the blades are frayed at the end. Dull blades will give disease a head start because it tears the leaf tissue instead of cleanly cutting it creating a larger wound.

Secondly, not the greatest pics again, but it kind of looks like leaf spot. I have some of it on my yard ill take a picture of it and you tell me. If its leaf spot, leaf spot is caused when you recently have fertilized your yard, combined with dull mower and extended periods of wet weather will cause the disease. It won't totally kill the turf, just make it look aesthetically unpleasing. In the summer time their is another leaf spot called gray leaf spot that is devastating and kills turf.

Thanks Tom. I think it is leaf spot based on what I found on the web. I just changed out my mower blade last weekend with a brand new toro blade which I would think comes sharp enough.

Chris, first off not sure when you last sharpened your mower but it looks like you need it cause the blades are frayed at the end. Dull blades will give disease a head start because it tears the leaf tissue instead of cleanly cutting it creating a larger wound.

Secondly, not the greatest pics again, but it kind of looks like leaf spot. I have some of it on my yard ill take a picture of it and you tell me. If its leaf spot, leaf spot is caused when you recently have fertilized your yard, combined with dull mower and extended periods of wet weather will cause the disease. It won't totally kill the turf, just make it look aesthetically unpleasing. In the summer time their is another leaf spot called gray leaf spot that is devastating and kills turf.

Thanks Tom. I think it is leaf spot based on what I found on the web. I just changed out my mower blade last weekend with a brand new toro blade which I would think comes sharp enough.

Yea what you and i and alot of others have with this cool wet weather is melting out disease, very similar to leaf spot. You probably came across it when you saw leaf spot because they are linked together.

If you were reading on the causes of the diseases one of them is excess fertilization, thats why i was saying always do half of what the bag says. The only problem is, unless you calibrate your spreader you don't know what you're taking half of, it could be half of 2lbs/1000 of nitrogen.

help tombo, an area of 5x10 foot section of my grass is dying. Looks like red thread thing i think( lol).  what do i do to stop it. at first round circles of dryed grass formed and now grass is just dying. ill take a pic if needed.

help tombo, an area of 5x10 foot section of my grass is dying. Looks like red thread thing i think( lol). what do i do to stop it. at first round circles of dryed grass formed and now grass is just dying. ill take a pic if needed.

do you have a dog? take pics... If its red thread you will see reddish tint to the grass or like red mycellium.

yea something is definitely going on there. Its so hard to tell, because with diagnosing diseases you need to look at everything around the area, soil type, grass types and what not.

With the fence there, air flow is pretty limited so a pretty favorable disease environment is available. Is that a high traffic area? What type of grass sod was it?

yea something is definitely going on there. Its so hard to tell, because with diagnosing diseases you need to look at everything around the area, soil type, grass types and what not.

With the fence there, air flow is pretty limited so a pretty favorable disease environment is available. Is that a high traffic area? What type of grass sod was it?

yes high traffic area from kids ..   it was kentucky blue grss ( i think, not 100% sure)  has been down for 5 years, first time its ever looked like that

yes high traffic area from kids .. it was kentucky blue grss ( i think, not 100% sure) has been down for 5 years, first time its ever looked like that

Well bluegrass isnt the best for traffic, fescue and especially ryegrass are. This type of year leaf spot/melting out disease hits bluegrass hard in the spring. ERspecially if it has been wet lately, recent fertilization and dull mower. Thats the only thing with monostands. Bluegrass lawn looks amazing, but if you get a disease like summer patch or leaf spot/melting out it can theoretically destroy your whole lawn. Thats why its good to go with a mixture of turfgrasses.

Well bluegrass isnt the best for traffic, fescue and especially ryegrass are. This type of year leaf spot/melting out disease hits bluegrass hard in the spring. ERspecially if it has been wet lately, recent fertilization and dull mower. Thats the only thing with monostands. Bluegrass lawn looks amazing, but if you get a disease like summer patch or leaf spot/melting out it can theoretically destroy your whole lawn. Thats why its good to go with a mixture of turfgrasses.

wet is an understatement lol with almost 10 inches of precip in apirl and 6 inches in may.   . ok if its leaf spot or melting what can I do for it?

For all you golf tuff guys

"The harshness of this past winter spared little in our region: roads, school calendars.Add golf courses to the casualty list.

Orange County Golf Club had to resurface all 18 of its putting greens after they were damaged by snow and ice. Saturday morning, the private club will debut ..."

http://www.recordonl...6/BIZ/105260339

tombo -

At my course I've noticed very little dandelion pressure in the roughs, seems to be completely clover. What are you seeing at your course? I wonder if it has something to do with the 2 past winters having lots of snow cover? I'd say the number of dandelions is down to 15-20% of what would be considered "normal"

tombo -

At my course I've noticed very little dandelion pressure in the roughs, seems to be completely clover. What are you seeing at your course? I wonder if it has something to do with the 2 past winters having lots of snow cover? I'd say the number of dandelions is down to 15-20% of what would be considered "normal"

We spray the whole golf course with confront (AI. tricolpyr and clopyarlid), so that has helped, but yea ia gree it wasn't as "bad " this year. The clover outbreak has been way up, after winter with the damage from the snow molds on some of the fairways. Also, whatever didn't recover from last summers heat has gone to clover. I did a trimec bent spray about a mont h or so ago and it hurt it, but didn't kill it. Should theoretically do a follow up app but we just don't have the time. This week or next week im going around with confront in the rough around the club house and green and tee banks and hitting the clover. I am also going to back pack some trimec bent to kill it in some of our collars and tees.

What are you guys seeing and how are you handling it chemically?

tombo -

That seems odd somehow... plenty of dandelions out here.

I've got mosquitoes the size of small birds now all over the yard with all the rain and now the heat. I've got a lot of shade and a storm water runoff creek to the side of the yard to help them out. Going on an all out war on them starting tomorrow because they make being outside unpleasant even in the heat of the day. Bug zapper out back buzzing at least 6-10 times per minute out there. Aside from excessive heat the bugs are my least favorite part of summer.

Archived