• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Who got screwed and who overachieved

Ji

There are so many posts on this storm that's it's just too much to go through. Just curious to who

1) got what they expected

2) overachieved

3) got screwed with ice instead of expected snow

4) got screwed due to less qpf/dry slot

Thanks

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-snow totals will be what i expected, ORD going to make a run close to 20, if not within an inch or two depending on lake effect.

-wind completely overperformed, pieces of buildings, trees and roadsigns were flying around and the whiteout was more intense than i could imagine (probably hurt snow totals though)

-numerous lightning strikes, expected some, not this many or vibrant

-hail with convection

Overperformer in my book and i'm sure most Chicago posters would agree.

since you were just here Ji, montreal and ottawa look to overperform based on models a couple days ago,, which showed a near-miss.

storm just ended up wrapping up further and further north each successive model run, unfortunately screwing those in new york state along and S of I-90.

up here....weenie delight, but sheer misery for 98% of the population today thanks to the cold conditions......currently pelting snow and wind but with temps in the single digits and chills around -20

Best way to describe the storm for my area of SE MI: total accumulations underachieved, peak intensity of the storm overachieved.

Several days ago, I was envisioning a 24-hour snowstorm with 15-1 powder that would probably total in the 12-16" range. What we got was a more fierce storm with blizzard conditions but one of much lower ratios and shorter duration. The snow started as 12-1 in the blizzard, then turned to the sleet/snow mix overnight which added to the danger of the storm but cut into the accums some more. Some roads this morning are gridlocked because of the deep, dense snow. I was out, saw cars get stuck, cars that couldnt stop, etc. The storm total liquid imby was 0.80", so qpf yesterday verified just fine (the days prior did have us in the 1.25" range).

Storm totals thru 8am today

Round 1- P: 0.08", S- 1.3"

Round 2- P: 0.72", S- 7.4"

Current snow depth is a very dense 12" (reminds me of the packed powder at ski resorts) with some nice drifts.

-snow totals will be what i expected, ORD going to make a run close to 20, if not within an inch or two depending on lake effect.

-wind completely overperformed, pieces of buildings, trees and roadsigns were flying around and the whiteout was more intense than i could imagine (probably hurt snow totals though)

-numerous lightning strikes, expected some, not this many or vibrant

-hail with convection

Overperformer in my book and i'm sure most Chicago posters would agree.

the footage out of chicago this morning is just unreal.....a TRUE BLIZZARD wow....u may never see anything like that again?

milwaukee cam was unbelievable too

i cant believe CNN had their reporter this AM in boston :axe: :axe:

Best way to describe the storm for my area of SE MI: total accumulations underachieved, peak intensity of the storm overachieved.

Several days ago, I was envisioning a 24-hour snowstorm with 15-1 powder that would probably total in the 12-16" range. What we got was a more fierce storm with blizzard conditions but one of much lower ratios and shorter duration. The snow started as 12-1 in the blizzard, then turned to the sleet/snow mix overnight which added to the danger of the storm but cut into the accums some more. Some roads this morning are gridlocked because of the deep, dense snow. I was out, saw cars get stuck, cars that couldnt stop, etc. The storm total liquid imby was 0.80", so qpf yesterday verified just fine (the days prior did have us in the 1.25" range).

Storm totals thru 8am today

Round 1- P: 0.08", S- 1.3"

Round 2- P: 0.72", S- 7.4"

Current snow depth is a very dense 12" (reminds me of the packed powder at ski resorts) with some nice drifts.

glad to hear that Josh!

Yeah, I didn't realize you were up in the 8" range. I'm guessing there are some areas that saw less.

Pretty much the lowest storm totals I can find for anyone in SE MI are around 5" so far, that appears to be in southern Oakland county. The thundersnow helped our cause, and the sleet made the snow basically a heart attack waiting to happen. Massive plowed snowbanks everywhere.

I got hit hard with sleet. probably near 4 inches over two days. Maybe an inch or two of snow as well but generally I got screwed. I did remedy the situation last evening however...

:lmao:

The sleet was pretty epic though, you got to admit that. Of course it would've been much better as all snow, regardless...

There are so many posts on this storm that's it's just too much to go through. Just curious to who

1) got what they expected

2) overachieved

3) got screwed with ice instead of expected snow

4) got screwed due to less qpf/dry slot

Thanks

I live 40 miles northeast of Columbia Mo. Difficult to measure but heard that we were between 19-23." KMIZ out of Columbia said 17" as of 8pm but it snowed incredibly hard until about 10 pm. Obviously added to our totals. Unfortunately, nobody cares about a town of 11,000. I cant believe we werent dryslotted. (It was close!) The trowel turned more east and the slot filled in as well. I thought we might bust. The snow totals dropped off significantly to our southeast. Got around what i expected. I expect Chicago to break their record.

I would say underperformed a bit here in Peoria. Good storm though, got thundersnow and total accumulation of about 12.5". I was hoping for about 6" more though. Plows have been out and about but I don't know what the roads themselves look like. 4-5' drifts in most peoples driveways.

icestorm overperformed here...i only wish it would have been during the day so i could have gotten pics. We climbed enough above freezing after midnight and had a few rain showers come thru to melt and blow off the majority of tree ice. Still a lot of tree damage out there. Most ice accumulation I've ever seen here. I don't know how, but we still have a snow cover....its like a glacier though.

btw, don't use the euro for 2m temps.....it blows. We were never supposed to get below 32 during this event.

Basically we got about what was expected. First wave of WAA Preicip. definitely overperformed. Ended up with 4-4.5" with the first wave. Second wave was a real nightmare around here, which was expected. About 2" of snow followed by almost 2-3" of sleet/snow mix, and now were getting some light snow. Probably around end around 5.5", which was what the NWS was going with. Local Media failed horribly, only called for 4-6" storm total here. yikes.png Winds were absolutely howling the second wave though. At one point TOL, FDY, and Lima all had 40+kt gusts. Most counties here are pretty much shut down still. It puts us above average for the entire month of February.

Final Thoughts on SEMI

Had great Blizzard conditions for 3 hours with 1+ rates an hour.. Kind of let down still..This will turn out to be a nightmare PR issue for local mets..Its not their faults though..Although jumping so quick with super high snow totals is what hurts..2 days before the storm 12-16 inches ,1 day before 10-15 ,the day of 7-10, the day after most locals ended up 5-8 inches (immediate metro Detroit area) ...The average people will remember this for a very long time. The models did a poor job with strength and showing the dry slot. It was a nowcaster event so the only model that showed an impressive dry slot was the HRRR.

With regards to DTX..1 thing really went bad for them. In an AFD (monday morning ?) they threw in some unreasonable snow amounts..Something along lines of 18-24 inches. That only one model or piece of guidence showed. The context it was written in was poor and threw the local media into a frenzy.

The Affects to the region (Commerce and closings) One word here " hype" . The cost to business and commerce due to lost productivity and low sales should measure to be very high. Even though roads were in poor shape..Ive never personally seen so many business's closed for a 5-8 inch snowstorm. This ought to be studied for a long time and local Mets take caution..People are *bleep*ed!

Archived