• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY / North Country Thread Fall 2010

NYWx

Just to say it would have been a brutal winter without this new board...

I agree. I also kinda lean on it for planning my longer range winter recreational activities. When the Pros and knowledgeable amateurs start seeing potential down the road ( outside the standard 5-7 day range ) I start planning a road trip up North... especially when LEK, Kuligan and several others start talking possible lake events..I start packing my stuff.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS looks like a short lived Wind Advisory event for much of WNY. Strong issallobaric component late tonight into tomorrow morning should be just enough to push over the minimum criteria. Heres hoping it pans out as we've had a real wind drought around here this fall.

Yeah, it's been awhile since we've had one of these type events rip through the area... It'll be interesting to see what the max wind ends up in WNY....I'd bet we get a few 50+ mph gusts in the normally windy lake plain areas surounding Erie....

Yeah, it's been awhile since we've had one of these type events rip through the area... It'll be interesting to see what the max wind ends up in WNY....I'd bet we get a few 50+ mph gusts in the normally windy lake plain areas surounding Erie....

Wind advisory up for all of NWS BUF's CWA.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/

Lean-to is still there - had lunch at the picnic bench in there. You get nice view south toward some of the westernmost 3500'+ peaks such as Halcott, Vly, North Dome and Sherrill. The only negative was that they have let the trail grow up some ..brush and junk in places. Hopefully some maintenance will be done soon. The aqua Long Path trail markers looked pretty freshly painted though.

Horrid here now wx-wise. :( Dense pea soup fog all day...held at 45F. Now steady rain underway.

I hiked that several years ago. What I remember was there was a lean-to near the summit and a real nice fall view of the top of some lower hills in an "s" shape.

There is still some snow hanging around here in the shady elevated areas. I really don't understand how it is still here, but it is nice to see.

I almost went into panic mode when I went to Eastern and started reading about it shutting down. Google searched for Upstate NY Weather discussions and found everyone. It would have been a lonely winter without everyone's commentary. Camp in Redfield is all ready for winter. Bring on the snow!

12z GFS looks like a short lived Wind Advisory event for much of WNY. Strong issallobaric component late tonight into tomorrow morning should be just enough to push over the minimum criteria. Heres hoping it pans out as we've had a real wind drought around here this fall.

I think I was looking at a 0z initialized GFS model run when I made my statement about the time frame of this little wind event. The isallobaric component is certainly there, i just missed it by 12 hours or so. Anyway, add on 12-18 hours and all is well. The NWS has since come to a similar conclusion so I guess I should just shut up, lol.

I think I was looking at a 0z initialized GFS model run when I made my statement about the time frame of this little wind event. The isallobaric component is certainly there, i just missed it by 12 hours or so. Anyway, add on 12-18 hours and all is well. The NWS has since come to a similar conclusion so I guess I should just shut up, lol.

Its tough to get a wind event at night. I think daytime tomorrow is better (better mixing, lapse rates, etc) The one negative could be the rate of filling of the low resulting in less of a delta-p component.

Seems like just about everything has lifted north of the Mohawk on radar.... Won't bother me if we don't get much rain - this area is a clay mud hell now. We badly need the ground to freeze.

Also beginning to wonder if there will be shadowing issues in N-S valleys like the Hudson tonight. Rain has become almost a moderate mist up here now.

.. Wind Advisory in effect from 10 PM this evening to 6 am EST

Wednesday...

The National Weather Service in Binghamton has issued a Wind

Advisory... which is in effect from 10 PM this evening to 6 am EST

Wednesday.

* Locations: Upper Mohawk valley and southern tug plateau.

* Winds: southeast winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts between 45 and 50

mph.

* Timing: late tonight and early Wednesday.

* Impacts: minor damage to trees. Sporadic power outages are

possible. Travel could be impacted especially for those in high

profile vehicles.

Thanks for posting this! Would love to know what everyone thinks of this new format. We're hoping it's more user-friendly, but the NWS wants user input as it is still experimental.

Thanks for posting this! Would love to know what everyone thinks of this new format. We're hoping it's more user-friendly, but the NWS wants user input as it is still experimental.

I have to say I really like the new format with the bullet-style layout instead of traditional paragraph form, definately much more direct and to the point. When I first saw this layout being used in the midwest region, I was hoping it would find it's way east into this region, hopefully it stays.

This would be a nice black friday..

0Z gfs

Looks great, for nine (or so) days out,. I'll hold off before getting too excited... :lightning:

I love the new format: it's short and to the point, without any shenanigans involved. I think it's going to be great when I'm trying to go through things in a rush, and the general public is more likely to read it because it doesn't look like a long, boring paragraph.

I have to say I really like the new format with the bullet-style layout instead of traditional paragraph form, definately much more direct and to the point. When I first saw this layout being used in the midwest region, I was hoping it would find it's way east into this region, hopefully it stays.

Agreed, I like this new format a lot.

I like it. Right to the point without any fluff.

I only complain when the NWS changes the new feeds around as it messes up my scripts that use the new XML feeds.

Sometime they come county based and others zone based (my county has 2 zones)

It seems like more often that not the models are too quick in breaking down the big West Atlantic/SE USA ridge during the later Fall. Going slower with the pattern change is usually the prudent course.

Of course we also also don't know if the energy will eject from the southwest in dispersed fashion or not..... Too vigorous a s/w and better the chance it breaks for an inland track over NY/NE.

Then we also seem to have indications of a developing neg. NAO and that could mitigate to our favor with any low track...if it sets up fast enough..

I see the 6Z gfs went the big lakes cutter route - but that would usher in some very nice cold wx.

Wondering IF this will be "pulled" N&W as we get closer to the onset of this event?

Archived