SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY / North Country Thread Fall 2010

NYWx

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From mid next week, through the end of the month, I think there will be a couple of chances of some good WSW LES potential. Pattern is shaping up more to a La Nina type regime....

I hope you're right, George! I'm heading back to Orchard Park for Thanksgiving weekend, and I'm going to need a reminder of what "real" winter is like.

Really?

Slippery_Road.jpg

deer1.jpg

The buck was only a two-pointer. I can say I adroitly nailed him with the driver's sideview mirror. Skill and finesse at its best. Same thing with sliding off the road- I picked the softest tree to hit broadside. If we ever have a GTG or conference I'll do a presentation on my "driving" skills. :ee: o:

Nice to be on here. It seems like 75% of the time this site doesn't work for me. ....

Hiked up Huntersfield Mountain today (El. 3424') - summit on the border of nw Greene County with Schoharie County. A couple inches of snow yet on the shady side of the summit areas. They must have had a pretty good fall of it a week ago.

There's stats kept on that? I'll vouch for my "biased" opinion and say the members also make the North Country threads great... :arrowhead:

Oh, there was no slight to our regional members intended...not at all!! Apologies if that's how it came off. I was just thinking about all the "crap" that goes on in other regions due to the huge ratio of weenies! And it's nice to have more people to be able to learn from....met or not!

I might add that the difference between mets and non mets (wrt weather knowledge) is practically non existent in this region!! :thumbsup:

Oh, there was no slight to our regional members intended...not at all!! Apologies if that's how it came off. I was just thinking about all the "crap" that goes on in other regions due to the huge ratio of weenies! And it's nice to have more people to be able to learn from....met or not!

I might add that the difference between mets and non mets (wrt weather knowledge) is practically non existent in this region!! :thumbsup:

If you lurk long enough,you will see how NY gets it's snowfall totals without even posting.The main things I see with storms in NY is that the storms are different that where I live.Lake Effect snows never amount to more than a dusting(IMBY).Synoptic storms,-I.E. "Noreaster" happen where I live.The one thing I can say about this type setup,no matter where you live or what "type" storm it is,everything has to come together for it to happen.You will see different people make different forecast's in this region,some are mets,some are not.The main thing to do is read.I know when some of the regular posters start typing forecast's--it's gonna happen and very seldom are they off by much.I have figured out just by the activity on the "old"forum,that the better the models looked(bigger the storm) way more posting happened.I lurk mainly here just because it is IMBY,but also it is way more friendly.

Nice to be on here. It seems like 75% of the time this site doesn't work for me. ....

Hiked up Huntersfield Mountain today (El. 3424') - summit on the border of nw Greene County with Schoharie County. A couple inches of snow yet on the shady side of the summit areas. They must have had a pretty good fall of it a week ago.

I hiked that several years ago. What I remember was there was a lean-to near the summit and a real nice fall view of the top of some lower hills in an "s" shape.

There is still some snow hanging around here in the shady elevated areas. I really don't understand how it is still here, but it is nice to see.

.. Wind Advisory in effect from 10 PM this evening to 6 am EST

Wednesday...

The National Weather Service in Binghamton has issued a Wind

Advisory... which is in effect from 10 PM this evening to 6 am EST

Wednesday.

* Locations: Upper Mohawk valley and southern tug plateau.

* Winds: southeast winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts between 45 and 50

mph.

* Timing: late tonight and early Wednesday.

* Impacts: minor damage to trees. Sporadic power outages are

possible. Travel could be impacted especially for those in high

profile vehicles.

If you lurk long enough,you will see how NY gets it's snowfall totals without even posting.The main things I see with storms in NY is that the storms are different that where I live.Lake Effect snows never amount to more than a dusting(IMBY).Synoptic storms,-I.E. "Noreaster" happen where I live.The one thing I can say about this type setup,no matter where you live or what "type" storm it is,everything has to come together for it to happen.You will see different people make different forecast's in this region,some are mets,some are not.The main thing to do is read.I know when some of the regular posters start typing forecast's--it's gonna happen and very seldom are they off by much.I have figured out just by the activity on the "old"forum,that the better the models looked(bigger the storm) way more posting happened.I lurk mainly here just because it is IMBY,but also it is way more friendly.

Welcome!

Archived