NYWx

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your were saying............... ;)

12Z:

gfs_ten_168s.gif

gfs_850_240s.gif

:lmao: I've heard that the GFS often does quite well during La Nina years, so here's hoping it's right and the Euro is wrong.

I'm hoping that there isn't any freezing rain around my neck of the woods this Sunday evening as I've got a get together planned with some people driving in from out of town

Looks a bit breezy, too.

Just a little bit lol.

Raleigh's site has 75 kt 850mb LLJ from the southwest in the cold air behind the low...major wind event if that verified. Too much wind shear and not enough residence time that close to the low...I think it would lead to a spray of snow showers and squalls...with blizzard conditions within. Similar to the January 2007 wind storm?

edit: January 2008

Your were saying............... ;)

12Z:

gfs_ten_168s.gif

gfs_850_240s.gif

FWIIW That looks like the typical GFS average position of multiple LPs to me. I would envision one near Massena, another on the warm front and quite possibly yet a 3rd at the TP.

I also think there will yet another LP development over the Mid or Lower MS Valley on the TG weekend like the EC is showing however unlike the EC I can see both a stronger low along with more of western track from the SEUS to Cape Cod, especially if the TGD low slows over QUE and even retrogrades a bit.

Also interesting to note that the ensembles as well as the EC ops continue to show a very good "cold-air damming" (CAD) signature across Upstate NY for next Wed (night) and TGD.

To be continued..........

Not during that Euro panel....but 12 hours or so later, I bet there is better alignment, deeper cold air, and a slackening of the pressure gradient.....

hmm...yes good point. The general track of the low to the northeast would suggest a veering of the wind between the 192 and 216 hour panel...providing a short period of time for a favorable LES set-up for BUF.

I guess it is pretty ridiculous to discuss exact wind set-ups in the 8-9 day range lol. Suffice to say...it appears that it will become quite wintry around and past Thanksgiving...with the potential for heavy LES somewhere downwind of Lakes Erie and Ontario.

I know it's really early yet to be looking at snow for Thanksgiving,but i cannot help but think that it's looking like this year is taking off where last year left off.Too warm and a good storm is a rain out,and after it's over, it gets cold but dry.I would love to get my truck and plow ready with but, It I just cant justify it with this pattern yet. Here is to hoping for some good solid cash flow for Christmas(plowable snow events).

I know it's really early yet to be looking at snow for Thanksgiving,but i cannot help but think that it's looking like this year is taking off where last year left off.Too warm and a good storm is a rain out,and after it's over, it gets cold but dry.I would love to get my truck and plow ready with but, It I just cant justify it with this pattern yet. Here is to hoping for some good solid cash flow for Christmas(plowable snow events).

Hi FEFD

My snow stakes went up at my customers homes/businesses today. Plow is serviced and ready to go.

Now it is just a matter of keeping my computer set to this site and watch. White gold is not far away. Good luck this season!

As always ... thanks to all for the info and conversation you provide.

Western runners

If the euro has anything to say about it, I will have a nice "welcome back to Western NY" present when I'm home for Thanksgiving next week!! As others have mentioned, that is a pretty extreme high wind scenario...initially in the higher terrain and along the Chautauqua County shoreline on Thanksgiving, then becoming widespread across all of WNY from Thanksgiving night into Black Friday. It reminds me of the storm that occurred last December 9th when my home wx station registered a gust to 68 mph....although I think the projected storm on the euro may even be a tad deeper!

I definitely concur with Nick's concern about high winds diminishing the potential for organized lake bands, but I still managed to pull off a 17" storm (including 7.5" in 2 hours) with winds gusting over 50 mph last December so it can definitely still happen. I think there would still be some 12"+ snowfall amounts in the Boston Hills by Saturday morning if the euro solution verifies, even with the high winds.

What does it show for the flow of of Ontario?

Really still in fantasy land this far out.....but.......Verbatum, north of you for a bit....sagging south, and then ending rather quickly (12 hours or so)....but still so much time between now and then......LES is fickle enough with 3 day lead times, let alone 8-10 days out!! Just potential......

Archived