joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY / North Country Thread Fall 2010

NYWx

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The winds are ripping here now. They picked up suddenly about 30 minutes ago. 49F outside.....

I just got back from lunch and it's starting to get pretty windy out here as well. Hopefull it will pull the rest of the leaves off the stubborn maple tree in my back yard. I'd like to finally be done with yard work for the year.

I see the 12z GFS brings back our Thanksgiving/Black Friday snow storm. It will probably be gone again on the 18z runs, but it's nice to watch the situation evolve. It's still too early in the season to get worked up about snow events that don't come together.

I want to here snow falling from my roof

I think shortly after Turkey day, you may well get your wish.....especially if the progged flow continues to show a W or WSW mean flow. I'm gaining more confidence that the LES season is going to start out with a bang for areas including and adjacent to the Tug Hill region...

Just check the radar now with 0 degree C air crossing L. Ontario (with uplift) and imagine what -15C air will do the weekend after T-day!!!!!

gfs_850_252m.gif

Many runs now in a row depicting this abrupt scenario for Black Friday and beyond!

I think shortly after Turkey day, you may well get your wish.....especially if the progged flow continues to show a W or WSW mean flow. I'm gaining more confidence that the LES season is going to start out with a bang for areas including and adjacent to the Tug Hill region...

Just check the radar now with 0 degree C air crossing L. Ontario (with uplift) and imagine what -15C air will do the weekend after T-day!!!!!

gfs_850_252m.gif

Many runs now in a row depicting this abrupt scenario for Black Friday and beyond!

I'll be in West Seneca/Orchard Park from Tusday of next week untill Thanksgiving night and then I'll be in Perrysburg untill Friday night, so hopefully I'll be able to see some good lake effect in West Seneca/OP or in Perrysburg.

post-1351-0-84559600-1290026023.jpg

gfs_850_252m.gif

I am in Forestport, we usually get some decent lake effect snow at a 280 flow or so, usually does not set up here but we get some decent accumulations.

gfs_850_252m.gif

Other wise doesn't it look dry thanksgiving week?.

18z op gfs has a nice synoptic system bringing a good 1-3 inch dump to WNY on Thanksgiving evening. After that it has tons of lak effect setting up with 850s dropping to -15 with lake temps at 8c. That equals delta t's of 23c! Winds looking to be between W and wsw which would mean a long fetch over Erie and Ontario. Highs during this period look to struggle to get above freezing with low temps in the teens and twenties. Cpc gives us a 40-50 percent chance for below normal temps in the 6-10 day and 8-14 day range. Met Don Paul from channel 4 says he has at least a 3/5 chance for colder weather starting around thanksgiving. So now we really need to watch precip to see who/how much snow we get.

I see the models are bringing -10C 850 over the Tug areas tomorrow into Friday of this week. I haven't heard much talk of it so I guess there must be mitigating factors to any LES.

I wouldn't too get hyped up about synoptic storms untill we get within 5 days of it. Keep looking at the overall pattern the gfs is trying to show which right now is a cold shot starting around thansgiving. Lake effect looks like a sure bet late next week somewhere in upstate.

I wouldn't too get hyped up about synoptic storms untill we get within 5 days of it. Keep looking at the overall pattern the gfs is trying to show which right now is a cold shot starting around thansgiving. Lake effect looks like a sure bet late next week somewhere in upstate.

One thing to note, however is that the Euro isn't as great of a setup for extreme instability (-6 to -8 at 850), and the flow is much more SW'erly (possibly ART, IAG????) But still a L O N G

way out.....

msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!240!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2010111712!!chart.gif

msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!240!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2010111712!!chart.gif

I get half my total from lake effect, if I relied on synoptic I would be S.O.L.

Some nice cold air building on our side of the globe. I'm not sure how this relates to normal, but -29 seems pretty low for this time of year.

November 17, 2010 weather report for

RESOLUTE, NUNAVUT, CANADA

Weather report as of
minutes ago (
00:00
UTC):

The wind was
calm
in Resolute, Canada. The temperature was
degrees Celsius (
degrees Fahrenheit). Air pressure was
hPa (
inHg). Relative humidity was
60.2%
. There were
overcast
at a height of
meters (
feet). The visibility was
kilometers (
miles). Current weather is
Moderate Ice Crystals

18z op gfs has a nice synoptic system bringing a good 1-3 inch dump to WNY on Thanksgiving evening. After that it has tons of lak effect setting up with 850s dropping to -15 with lake temps at 8c. That equals delta t's of 23c! Winds looking to be between W and wsw which would mean a long fetch over Erie and Ontario. Highs during this period look to struggle to get above freezing with low temps in the teens and twenties. Cpc gives us a 40-50 percent chance for below normal temps in the 6-10 day and 8-14 day range. Met Don Paul from channel 4 says he has at least a 3/5 chance for colder weather starting around thanksgiving. So now we really need to watch precip to see who/how much snow we get.

850mb flow keeps a slight northerly component in the flow through hour 300...not important now, though. Probably one of those events that start in the BUF area and move south as I wet myself over whether or not it will go south enough.

RN and +RN courtesy of Lake Erie...maybe some sleet/graupel mixing in:

post-312-0-40411800-1290040456.gif

A few flakes might have mixed in at about 1:30 today...I didn't get a good look, though.

One thing to note, however is that the Euro isn't as great of a setup for extreme instability (-6 to -8 at 850), and the flow is much more SW'erly (possibly ART, IAG????) But still a L O N G

way out.....

msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!240!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2010111712!!chart.gif

msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!240!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2010111712!!chart.gif

Right now, it looks like the Thanksgiving day storm will be a western runner, the mid-level center should pass just to our Northwest. If there is any LES I think areas just south of ART will be the bullseye...but anywhere in Northern Oswego, Northern and Central Lewis and southern Jefferson Counties has a shot at quite a bit of snow. It's to early to know for sure...but things are looking good.

Just south of ART will be the bullseye...but anywhere in Oswego, Northern and Central Lewis and southern Jefferson has a shot at quite a bit of snow. It's to early to know for sure...but things are looking good.

I can't remember the last time we had a prolonged WSW or SW lake effect event. Getting real excited. Just gotta keep it under control since it's still 8 days away.

... Tornado confirmed in town of Ghent Columbia County NY...

... Downburst confirmed in Claverack Columbia County NY...

Location... town of Ghent... Columbia County NY

date... November 17 2010

estimated time... 518 am EST

maximum ef scale rating... EF1

estimated maximum wind speed... 95 mph

estimated path width... 300 yards

path length... 2 miles

beginning lat/Lon... 42.26607/-73.66430

ending lat/Lon... 42.29003/-73.64724

*fatalities... 0

*injuries... 0

*note these numbers could change after issuance of this product

... Summary...

National Weather Service storm survey team confirmed an EF1 tornado

in town of Ghent. Although path length is two miles... damage was

intermittent a long the line. Most concentrated damage was observed

at intersection of soller heights Road and County Road 9. Damage was

mainly confined to downed trees... although some damage to shingles

and siding were noted.

Location... Claverack... Columbia County NY

date... November 17 2010

estimated time... 510 am EST

maximum ef scale rating... N/A

estimated maximum wind speed... 85 mph

estimated path width... N/A

path length... N/A

beginning lat/Lon... N/A

ending lat/Lon... N/A

*fatalities... 0

*injuries... 0

*note these numbers could change after issuance of this product

... Summary...

National Weather Service storm survey team confirmed a downburst in

Claverack. Damage was mainly confined to downed trees. Wind speeds

were estimated at 85 mph.

I agree...but it is looking good.

Yes, TG....BUT, this time of year as the jet increases it's speed and tightens it's wavelengths, 10 day individual progs should certainly be used with most caution....even if one flavor is pounding with consistency....Case in point, the wide difference between the Euro and GFS 7-10 day mean h500 progs:

test8.gif

Archived