Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY / North Country Thread Fall 2010

NYWx

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exciting time of the year!

You know it! I feel we're overdue for a good quality snow. I wouldn't mind driving through a good storm to get to Walmart next Friday.

Personally, I'm going to be looking for hard-core consistency between the models for the next few runs before getting excited. We are still talking over a week away.

You know it! I feel we're overdue for a good quality snow. I wouldn't mind driving through a good storm to get to Walmart next Friday.

Personally, I'm going to be looking for hard-core consistency between the models for the next few runs before getting excited. We are still talking over a week away.

If the models don't flip by Friday...I think were on to something.

The wavelengths are absolutely perfect ~ Thanksgiving. A beautiful western ridge, strong -NAO and the motherload dropping down into southern Canada. Perhaps a Thanksgiving Buffalo massacre? You don't need me to say it again but the LES potential is just....wow.

HM on board (from the pinned usedtobe thread on the main forum). :snowman::thumbsup:

DT's latest update

THIS WEEK'S TOPICS: WHY certain meteorologists that have been calling for the mean trough position to set up over the eastern Conus has busted so badly...

WHY the cold (sustained cold) is NOT coming to the eastern US until something DEC 4-6 if then

WHY the cold pattern is going to stay over western Canada into the Pacific NW / into CALIF and the Great Basin

WHY the snow cover in this new pattern will make up over Canada and Siberia for lost ground over the past 7 days

WHY even thought we have a MASSIVE -NAO and strong classic 50/50 Low... the cold over western US is not coming east.

I agree...but it is looking good.

Looking at the 06z GEFS ensemble data for 925 and 850 winds and the GEF ensemble mean 850T data it looks like later TGD into "Black Friday" could produce a nice LES event off of both LE and LO (especially the latter lake snow belts).

The CMCEPS is also supportive for this scenario too. It is also hinting at possible wave development on stalling polar front over SEUS, lifting the wave with modest deepening to near CC or MVY by 12z Friday 11/26.

I see that e-wall now has ECMWF output online thru 240 hrs:

EC thru 240 hours on e-wall

DT's latest update

THIS WEEK'S TOPICS: WHY certain meteorologists that have been calling for the mean trough position to set up over the eastern Conus has busted so badly...

WHY the cold (sustained cold) is NOT coming to the eastern US until something DEC 4-6 if then

WHY the cold pattern is going to stay over western Canada into the Pacific NW / into CALIF and the Great Basin

WHY the snow cover in this new pattern will make up over Canada and Siberia for lost ground over the past 7 days

WHY even thought we have a MASSIVE -NAO and strong classic 50/50 Low... the cold over western US is not coming east.

he may have a point. The latest runs of the GFS seem to have backed off from the big snowstorm on Thanksgiving for NNY, E Ontario, and the cold doesn't look as impressive.

I'm becoming more convinced that a LES event will occur next week. While it is true It is too early to know for sure; things are looking good for the first LES outbreak This season. It still looks like a Low will dive over the upper Lakes into Canada on Monday. The resulting cold front will pull down tons of cold air and set the stage for what's to come. Later in the week a storm will develop over Texas along a warm front. Due to the High heat and Humidly levels on the southern side of the front and the extreme cold air in place on the fronts northern side; a severe weather outbreak is a good bet next Wednesday. As this marches east It should set the Lakes off with quite a bit of LES. Most likely starting Thanksgiving day on the Upper Lakes and Impacting our area Friday thru Saturday. Wx4cast and Lake Effect King are showing the Models are starting to come into agreement. As always this is going to come down to timing...put like I said things are looking good right now....Keep your fingers crossed if you like snow.

Well, I got very lucky this morning! I haven't been on any weather blogs or forums in many months, because I lose interest during the non-snow season. This morning I thought I'd actually start poking around a bit. I stumbled upon a reference to Eastern closing on a Winter 2010-2011 Outlook blog entry on a Utica TV station website. A little further searching led me to an entry on another blog indicating that many of the Eastern folks were migrating to American. Well, I'm very happy to find many of the familiar posters are here!

Greeting from "up on the hill" in Delanson in western Schenectady County! :D

Well, I got very lucky this morning! I haven't been on any weather blogs or forums in many months, because I lose interest during the non-snow season. This morning I thought I'd actually start poking around a bit. I stumbled upon a reference to Eastern closing on a Winter 2010-2011 Outlook blog entry on a Utica TV station website. A little further searching led me to an entry on another blog indicating that many of the Eastern folks were migrating to American. Well, I'm very happy to find many of the familiar posters are here!

Greeting from "up on the hill" in Delanson in western Schenectady County! :D

Another one crawling back from under the rubble!! Glad you solved the puzzle to find our new home!!:thumbsup:

Archived