• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY / North Country Thread Fall 2010

NYWx

Hey everyone, i made the transition. I'm hoping that Logan and Organizing Low are able to do the same...

yes i am here, i was here since yesterday around noon.

i am hopeful that we can get some of the others too....Subzero, Cynnog, Doc, Scratch, etc.....its a small contingent but you'd hate to lose them.

i havent seen Logan as well as some of the mets in this thread... thats concerning. ...though Logan goes way back i think to the old old message boards, im sure someone will notify him.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how did you find the board?

many of us were able to log in and get a message of the last second move before the board was shutdown.

For awhile I thought that was it for this weather community, particularly given the message on the eastern site included Marcus saying "thanks to everyone for making this one of the best forums in the world". For interest's sake, I googled "eastern US weather forum closed down" just to see if anything came up. Fortunately, someone had posted that exact phrase on a weather blog and had included a URL I could go to for more information about the "new blog". I clicked on the link and was taken to a page which provided a link to this page.

how did you find the board?

many of us were able to log in and get a message of the last second move before the board was shutdown.

For awhile I thought that was it for this weather community, particularly given the message on the eastern site included Marcus saying "thanks to everyone for making this one of the best forums in the world". For interest's sake, I googled "eastern US weather forum closed down" just to see if anything came up. Fortunately, someone had posted that exact phrase on a weather blog and had included a URL I could go to for more information about the "new blog". I clicked on the link and was taken to a page which provided a link to this page.

Hello, Everybody:

I don't know any of the politics--or any circumstances, either--that led to the change, but I am happy to read and occasionally (rarely, really) post weather stuff in this virtual community I have come to love. I just want to report how excited I was this morning to wake up early and see snow in the shady areas of the hollow. In fact, my neighbor's yard is half covered. This, I assume, is left over from Monday. I have not been up here since 10/23--as I ran the NYC marathon for the first time. Thrilled to be back.

Hey kids, I'm back....nice to see everyone making there way over. Things are really about to get interesting too!

Yeah, no kidding! Glad you didn't get banned for starting a regional thread on the main page! :arrowhead:

From mid next week, through the end of the month, I think there will be a couple of chances of some good WSW LES potential. Pattern is shaping up more to a La Nina type regime....

OK guys and girl I'm back :)

I was downstate in the Bronx doing research yesterday near Andy G's old haunts and missed the upheaval. I tried to log on today and found Marcus' farewell missive. The only question I would have is what becomes of the multi thousand $ server that Marcus installed with everyone's contributions? :rolleyes: It seems like that is the collective property of the members of the old Easternuswx.

I don't have any insight, at all, in to how this place (or Eastern) is (was) run.

BUT, I do run a forum with several thousand registered members, and have ads from a few relevant manufacturers on my site, as well as Google.

The revenue from ads, donations, etc... barely covers the hosting costs (and some years it doesn't), let a lone the man hours it takes in upkeep (and we're not even getting in to moderation....).

I consider a donation money well spent for what I get out of places like this... and leave it at that.

Sorry about the off-topic post, I'm hoping this place turns in to how the other site used to be - lots of weather content / observations, and not just folks posting up what their local NWS has put out lately, and this post (mine) is a bit pointless - but as another forum administrator, I wanted to point it out.

Off the soap box.

And back to keeping an eye out Thanksgiving week :)

Just scanning back at yesterday's posts here.... Sorry to hear about all your auto probs Andy. :thumbsdown: I was gonna go into the State Archives in Albany on that snowy day, but decided to nix it. People drive like Carolinas drivers or something in the first snowfall.

Night all been a long week...

BAD CARma this past week in my house. Smacked up the Jeep on Monday in the snowfall and then smacked a deer on Tuesday with a borrowed car.

WIll chat more about next week's wx this weekend and what MAY be down the road around the TG holiday period.

OK guys and girl I'm back :)

I was downstate in the Bronx doing research yesterday near Andy G's old haunts and missed the upheaval. I tried to log on today and found Marcus' farewell missive. The only question I would have is what becomes of the multi thousand $ server that Marcus installed with everyone's contributions? :rolleyes: It seems like that is the collective property of the members of the old Easternuswx.

Logan...Happy to see you.

BAD CARma this past week in my house. Smacked up the Jeep on Monday in the snowfall and then smacked a deer on Tuesday with a borrowed car.

WIll chat more about next week's wx this weekend and what MAY be down the road around the TG holiday period.

Good luck with all that. Stop by New England when things are settled.

snapback.pngWx4cast, on 12 November 2010 - 07:25 PM, said:

WIll chat more about next week's wx this weekend and what MAY be down the road around the TG holiday period

Hey AndyIf you need help/Parts let me know.I would be glad to help you out.I have several people I repair vehicles for.I can probably get your parts a lot cheaper if you need help.Body work is not my specialty but I can still get those parts very reasonable too.

Just scanning back at yesterday's posts here.... Sorry to hear about all your auto probs Andy. :thumbsdown: I was gonna go into the State Archives in Albany on that snowy day, but decided to nix it. People drive like Carolinas drivers or something in the first snowfall.

I got the Jeep back already. I was in 4WD doing like 10 mph down in Latham and slid off the rode on the service road and a pine tree go in the way. Quarter panel had to be replaced and rear bumper.The next day heading into work with my son's car, I nailed a buck on the Northway, fortunately damaged (lost) the sideview mirror; too bad I didn't do it with the Jeep. I could have had venison for the rest of the winter.

Glad you made it over.

I got the Jeep back already. I was in 4WD doing like 10 mph down in Latham and slid off the rode on the service road and a pine tree go in the way. Quarter panel had to be replaced and rear bumper.The next day heading into work with my son's car, I nailed a buck on the Northway, fortunately damaged (lost) the sideview mirror; too bad I didn't do it with the Jeep. I could have had venison for the rest of the winter.

Did you hear the song " You had a bad day" on the radio on the way home to put the icing on the cake? :axe:

Glad you made it over.

I hope you had good insurance on the Jeep..too bad about your son's car but at least it was just the sideview mirror. I hit a deer this past January and I only bent the front license plate, but what was bad was, I just got my Subie back from slamming it in a curb during a snow storm back in December..Only liability insurance on that. Bent 3 rims, and need 1 new tire and some other minor repairs, 1,200 bucks..I never had an accident in the snow. It has changed my way of thinking and driving in the snow.

But cars can be replaced or fixed, people can't be replaced. Glad you weren't hurt. Deer are simply the dumbest animals period.

I hope you had good insurance on the Jeep..too bad about your son's car but at least it was just the sideview mirror. I hit a deer this past January and I only bent the front license plate, but what was bad was, I just got my Subie back from slamming it in a curb during a snow storm back in December..Only liability insurance on that. Bent 3 rims, and need 1 new tire and some other minor repairs, 1,200 bucks..I never had an accident in the snow. It has changed my way of thinking and driving in the snow.

But cars can be replaced or fixed, people can't be replaced. Glad you weren't hurt. Deer are simply the dumbest animals period.

How does your Subie do in the snow compared to a fwd car? I just got a legacy back in May so this will be its first winter and I can't wait to try it out.

Archived