• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 31-February 2 Potentially Historic Winter Storm

Hoosier

Group of models emerging (ETA/GEM/NOGAPS) that don't amplify the southern stream wave as it ejects out, causing the surface low to track further south and east. Obviously I'm siding with the more reputable models as they seem to be catching on to how vigorous the s/w looks on WV loop off the CA coast. But it's something to watch I guess.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can i just say that following this so far has been nothing short of awesome lol This right here the last few days is why I love meteorology and how its a love and passion and at times like this, an addiction lol just had to say that.

following this tonight while training day and remember the titans on TV with ribs has been the best lol

props to all who post on here and the great analysis we are putting out.

This is my first call...sort of. Here are the 2 most likely scenarios for LAF as I see it:

Scenario 1: all or mostly snow...18" or more

Scenario 2: snow, a lot of sleet and possibly a bit of zr

Considering the extremely tight thermal gradient, some uncertainty on exact track and model tendency to underdo WAA, I don't have a lot of confidence either way at this point. If scenario 2 pans out, then snow accumulations would be held in check. If scenario 1 pans out, then we're looking at one of the greatest snowstorms of all-time. In my view, the worst case scenario is about 6".

Group of models emerging (ETA/GEM/NOGAPS) that don't amplify the southern stream wave as it ejects out, causing the surface low to track further south and east. Obviously I'm siding with the more reputable models as they seem to be catching on to how vigorous the s/w looks on WV loop off the CA coast. But it's something to watch I guess.

That's like the 7-8-9 (PH) hitters in the Cubs lineup starting a 2 out, no one on base rally in the bottom of the 8th...down 6-1. :yikes:

Based on how it looked at 72, it'll be in the NAM/EURO/GFS/GEFS camp.

The great thing about the CMC is you can typically tell when it is just junk. It won't be scoring a coup here with the odd way it develops this system. NOGAPS stinks--wouldn't bother with its resolution in both the horizontal and vertical--and the eta can really stink it up at times. The eta is ruining the SREF mean.

Can i just say that following this so far has been nothing short of awesome lol This right here the last few days is why I love meteorology and how its a love and passion and at times like this, an addiction lol just had to say that.

following this tonight while training day and remember the titans on TV with ribs has been the best lol

props to all who post on here and the great analysis we are putting out.

Hell yeah, it's truly been a treat tracking this storm over the last several days. It's really going to deliver the goods in a big way over an expansive area. The icestorm part of it really sucks though, as it will unfortunately seriously disrupt peoples lives. Hopefully there's enough sleet mixing in to keep ice accretion to a minimum over some of those areas.

Is this going to happen?

This is absolutely INSANE! I'm sorry, but something has to give, one way or the other... Someone is getting thumped, that is for sure, but something has to give around here, I cannot comprehend a storm like this happening after being predicted for the last 4 days. I lived through '78 and '99, and I remember some other heavy storms, but, I remember, in a few of those cases, the storm was a surprise, it was something that was not forecast...

If this verifies with the amount of snow (Widespread 18"-24"????) it is going to shut down this area, at least for a day or so, unless, because of the long duration of the event, streets can be kept more or less passable, to some extent.

The other component is the icing potential for S and E of the low. That is positively frightening. I have lived through a couple 1/2" ice storms, and it's not fun by any means. That is when weather get scary.

I am going to be on pins and needles for the next 3 days, watching this unfold, and hoping it happens more or less as forecast. I just cannot wrap my head around this, I really can't.

This is my first call...sort of. Here are the 2 most likely scenarios for LAF as I see it:

Scenario 1: all or mostly snow...18" or more

Scenario 2: snow, a lot of sleet and possibly a bit of zr

Considering the extremely tight thermal gradient, some uncertainty on exact track and model tendency to underdo WAA, I don't have a lot of confidence either way at this point. If scenario 2 pans out, then snow accumulations would be held in check. If scenario 1 pans out, then we're looking at one of the greatest snowstorms of all-time. In my view, the worst case scenario is about 6".

Good stuff man, we're obviously riding an unknown line right now. It's a tough call either way. I think I'll have my call ready by Tuesday morning. :arrowhead:

The great thing about the CMC is you can typically tell when it is just junk. It won't be scoring a coup here with the odd way it develops this system. NOGAPS stinks--wouldn't bother with its resolution in both the horizontal and vertical--and the eta can really stink it up at times. The eta is ruining the SREF mean.

Yeah, any idea why they include the ETA? Maybe you can ask when you are at your new job. :)

Is this going to happen?

This is absolutely INSANE! I'm sorry, but something has to give, one way or the other... Someone is getting thumped, that is for sure, but something has to give around here, I cannot comprehend a storm like this happening after being predicted for the last 4 days. I lived through '78 and '99, and I remember some other heavy storms, but, I remember, in a few of those cases, the storm was a surprise, it was something that was not forecast...

If this verifies with the amount of snow (Widespread 18"-24"????) it is going to shut down this area, at least for a day or so, unless, because of the long duration of the event, streets can be kept more or less clear.

The other component is the icing potential for S and E of the low. That is positively frightening. I have lived through a couple 1/2" ice storms, and it's not fun by any means. That is when weather get scary.

I am going to be on pins and needles for the next 3 days, watching this unfold, and hoping it happens more or less as forecast. I just cannot wrap my head around this, I really can't.

No kidding. Same here. I just keep thinking that the next model run will shift the storm to NYC and Boston again.

Baro, what are your thoughts if any on the waa snows up here starting tomorrow evening?...most models spitting out .4 - .6 qpf over w/s mn through the event...wondering if thats a little overdone, thanks.

That's like the 7-8-9 (PH) hitters in the Cubs lineup starting a 2 out, no one on base rally in the bottom of the 8th...down 6-1. :yikes:

I didn't even want to mention them but it just seems like things are going too perfectly with the EURO/GFS/NAM. Even with the big ones is it ever this easy? There always has to be a less favorable plan B, and those models are it. Luckily though they'd still be several inches of snow so things are looking swell. :)

No kidding. Same here. I just keep thinking that the next model run will shift the storm to NYC and Boston again.

Same here...I am afraid I am going to wake up, and I'll be reading.... oh, never mind, I am not going to jinx this by saying anything negative.....

Archived