Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 31-February 2 MAJOR Winter Storm

Powerball

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost matches the GFS's precip shield, just a little less expansive. But you're right, that's a full blown blizzard on the north/northwest side. This sucker wraps up in a big hurry and displays a beautiful deformation band.

The fluff with that DGZ getting blown apart by the wind means that stuff will blow like crazy. NAM dry adiabatic through a relatively deep layer--and this non-linear development always results in better mixing. With 50+ kts to mix and that dry fluffy snow--right now it looks like a serious blizzard threat through N IL/IN and southern Michigan.

Almost matches the GFS's precip shield, just a little less expansive. But you're right, that's a full blown blizzard on the north/northwest side. This sucker wraps up in a big hurry and displays a beautiful deformation band.

csnavywx, sorry for the IMBY post here but I'm in southeast Missouri and I keep thinking we're going to be on the rain/snow line with mostly rain probable. What do these model plots say to you?

The fluff with that DGZ getting blown apart by the wind means that stuff will blow like crazy. NAM dry adiabatic through a relatively deep layer--and this non-linear development always results in better mixing. With 50+ kts to mix and that dry fluffy snow--right now it looks like a blizzard threat through N IL/IN and southern Michigan.

No doubt in my mind DVN (the ASOS not the city) would verify a blizzard off that verbatim. Even if it is only a few fluffy inches of snow.

All hail and bow to the king,

the mighty Euro.

Seriously.

This is from the 26Jan / 00Z run:

post-175-0-43977900-1296356465.gif

If there was any doubt as to the superiority of this model, I think it came crashing down.

the euro has been very good with this storm, excellent....yes i agree.

GFS has consisistently trended in one direction which is good too and lends increasing confidence.

the NAM has done very well also IMO.

How would the wind potential be up here in S. WI? Just wondering because if the wind isnt a big deal up here, the ratios could be a bit higher then.

Suffice it to say, with that strong of a high pressure sliding down into the lower 48, there will at least be winds sustained in the 20s. Much greater than the majority of snow events we've had this year. Wind has been surprisingly absent.

Archived