joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MW/Lakes/OV November 2010 general disco

Hoosier

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for MSP getting a mid November cement snow event. I lived there for 3 years and do remember seeing some snow in November, but it was closer to Thanksgiving.

I never get too worked up about not seeing snow in November as our (northern IN) snow season is usually Dec 15 through Jan 31 (February is usually a dud for some reason). Although, areas just north and west of me may be able to get into some of what MSP just saw around Thanksgiving time. I am not buying the GEM/UKIE solution for this coming TUE/WED...although a system tracking a little further west than the GFS/ECMWF is definitely possible, with all rain expected. I hope I'm wrong.

Good for MSP getting a mid November cement snow event. I lived there for 3 years and do remember seeing some snow in November, but it was closer to Thanksgiving.

I never get too worked up about not seeing snow in November as our (northern IN) snow season is usually Dec 15 through Jan 31 (February is usually a dud for some reason). Although, areas just north and west of me may be able to get into some of what MSP just saw around Thanksgiving time. I am not buying the GEM/UKIE solution for this coming TUE/WED...although a system tracking a little further west than the GFS/ECMWF is definitely possible, with all rain expected. I hope I'm wrong.

Me and you both hope you are wrong :P

chance of flakes here this evening.

12z GFS looks interesting with that storm coming up through the OV around 60 hours.

Models certainly have trended stronger with it, but it appears all the cold air necessary for snow is going to be locked up further to the N & W. I'll be happy with just rain, it's been quite the boring November around these parts. In fact, so was last November. That's really rare. November is usually the stormiest month. And that's not just me saying that, I've heard a well respected met say that as well.

Wow, I believe you, but it seems to me like Novembers in the Northeastern fourth of the U.S. have been BORING and warm throughout the 2000-2010 decade. It seems to me almost like each season is taking longer and longer to begin.

Models certainly have trended stronger with it, but it appears all the cold air necessary for snow is going to be locked up further to the N & W. I'll be happy with just rain, it's been quite the boring November around these parts. In fact, so was last November. That's really rare. November is usually the stormiest month. And that's not just me saying that, I've heard a well respected met say that as well.

Wow, I believe you, but it seems to me like Novembers in the Northeastern fourth of the U.S. have been BORING and warm throughout the 2000-2010 decade. It seems to me almost like each season is taking longer and longer to begin.

Can only speak for IMBY, but all 10 Novembers between 1999-2008 have had at least 2.00" of precip, 7 of 10 had at least 3.00" of precip, and 3 of 10 had at least 4.00" of precip. Only the last two have been exceptionally dry. Now, can I equate plentiful rainfall with "storminess". I don't know, but I can't think of a better way to gauge "storminess".

As for snowfall, it's been variable. 2001-02 was delayed to mid December. The next year, 2002-03, we got started right after Halloween.

A few sprinkles here an hour or so ago. Pretty frustrating since temps are very cool just off the surface. The boundary layer was allowed to warm up pretty good with the morning sunshine, otherwise we may have seen our first flakes.

That midweek system looks very interesting on the GFS. Hopefully it grabs colder air than what's shown now. Hopefully the NAM catches on with this system and becomes even more dynamic, much like it did with the last system. If that ends up happening then areas from Indiana to Michigan could maybe see some wet snow. I'm probably reaching here, but that's about what it's come to lol.

The 12 Z NAM and the 12 Z GFS are worlds apart concerning precip for the OV at 54 hrs.....We really need the GFS solution.. Although not as bad as Beau, but its dry enough here--------

Yep, pretty big disagreement between the NAM and basically every other model after hr. 48. GFS has a more baroclinically unstable trough causing the sfc low to bomb out over OH. I wouldn't be surprised to see the NAM jump ship with the 0z runs tonight.

Yep, pretty big disagreement between the NAM and basically every other model after hr. 48. GFS has a more baroclinically unstable trough causing the sfc low to bomb out over OH. I wouldn't be surprised to see the NAM jump ship with the 0z runs tonight.

In numerous station AFD's the NAM has been refered to as the outliar ( misspelling intended).

I think you will be correct in that the NAM will give it up with the 0Z,,

Archived