• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 24th-26th Winter Storm Potential

cmichweather

yea you said last nights run was a tad west than todays 12z run. I said it had to be more than a tad to cut totals the way it did. lol

ok, i was referrring only to the track...which still wasn't that significantly east of last night. I think the qpf cutoff on the nw side was other issues as well as the track.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty close. Basically the northern stream ends up staying further detached from our southern system. Thus why that stuff dropping in at 78hrs is important. Thus we need the northern stream to dig a little more so it can capture the southern low and thus bring it up along/west of the apps.

You think so? The 00z had less of a phase between the systems which resulted in a farther west track. The phase today looks to push the storm farther east.

I guess what you're saying is if the N Stream energy is there, you need it to dive in and go negative faster so it captures the low.

You think so? The 00z had less of a phase between the systems which resulted in a farther west track. The phase today looks to push the storm farther east.

I guess what you're saying is if the N Stream energy is there, you need it to dive in and go negative faster so it captures the low.

Yes.

yup snowstormcanuk and you nailed why it's going east. The first comments about the euro as it came out were the northern stream is much weaker. My money is on that reversing. We'll see.

I actually agree. Thus the one seasonal trend on our side.

Oh yeah. It could even track over my head. Very slim chance but without that blocking and as mentioned a quicker/stronger moving system diving out of Canada capturing the southern low quicker makes it possible.

Wouldnt a stronger northern low just push this storm further east? Or the weaker it is the less it can pull it west. A newbie when it comes to phasing

Oh yeah. It could even track over my head. Very slim chance but without that blocking and as mentioned a quicker/stronger moving system diving out of Canada capturing the southern low quicker makes it possible.

euro at 5 day, shows what happens when the northern stream doesn't catch it. The southern stream starts closing off and instead of the trough being forced to dig, go negative and lift, it 'detaches' a bit and heads more east. I could very easily see the "Harry" scenario trend

Wouldnt a stronger northern low just push this storm further east? Or the weaker it is the less it can pull it west. A newbie when it comes to phasing

If the storm is weaker it would pull more East i.e flaten out...More West means means bigger storm

I could be wrong.

Not if it closes off/slows down and tracks along say i70..

Truth be told that is what i kinda thought the 12z GFS was gonna do but ala it had no southern low.

Has anyone seen DT's write up from Jan. 19th on his web site? It talks about this very same thing and that without blocking it favors a phase happening west of the mississippi river. Interesting......maybe some hope afterall?

Archived