Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 24th-26th Winter Storm Potential

cmichweather

Baro,

looks like the gulf is open for business on the 18z nam at least

The flow is off the GOM--but it isn't very moistened yet. A good indicator is the 925 theta-e values. That said--the 18Z NAM has a general good look to its upper height field--would like it to cut off even more though and perhaps be a tad less elongated.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he seems to describe several western solutions and then at the end says overall the ensembles are east of the op??? Also the part where he says some are as far east as sw VA, (im thinking he might have meant west).

He fails to mention that they did shift west vs the 00z runs. Yes the mean is a hair east of the OP but more importantly was the shift west and by a bit with a couple of the members.

Give me a few and i'll post the comparison between 00z run vs 12z. Don't wanna do it yet out of respect for customers.

Just a reminder of the crazy spread and extreme difficulty the models will have simulating these large upper tropospheric energetic waves as they break off the Pacific Jet. This is more challenging than large cyclones alone migrating across the Pacific.

The spread at 96 hours is pretty amazing.

post-999-0-71513200-1295638737.gif

post-999-0-71260500-1295638753.png

post-999-0-69502200-1295638802.png

what i also dont like here is the rebuilding of the neg NAO.....its east, but its building westward. ive been following this trend and you can see on most successive model runs its getting stronger and stronger.......several more cycles like this and we will have a piece of it poking into Greenland....

then, resultant upstream implications, no height field amplification sufficient in the east, bingo bango game over for the eastern lakes

yeah, im paranoid of greenland....true. its too close to me, lol

He fails to mention that they did shift west vs the 00z runs. Yes the mean is a hair east of the OP but more importantly was the shift west and by a bit with a couple of the members.

Give me a few and i'll post the comparison between 00z run vs 12z. Don't wanna do it yet out of respect for customers.

so it sounds like there's almost a separate camp setting up, (one west of the apps)....and the other clustered further east like the op (but with more in that camp) Is that correct?

so it sounds like there's almost a separate camp setting up, (one west of the apps)....and the other clustered further east like the op (but with more in that camp) Is that correct?

Was only a couple that ended up west of the apps. Keep in mind there is 50+ members. Majority were a inland track though. However last nights 00z run had the majority just off the coast at that point. Thus the noted shift in the ensembles. Thing is KEEPING that trend going. Ofcourse i want a lil more then you do.

And the reason why that is is because of HOW LATE the phase happens. The northern energy arrives to late/too far north/weak. However if that ( northern energy ) is able to dig/slow down some then boom guess what happens? yes we have bomb further west and probably west of the apps too. NOT saying that happens ( even though the seasonal trends with the northern stream say it is more possible ) but it is on the table. GFS has the northern stuff to make it happen but ala is missing the southern energy to go boom.

remember i said IF. Not arguing that will happen. Just pointing out why it *could* happen. :)

BTW. A number of the euro ensembles are further west vs 00z run. Even a few now that end up near lake Huron where as 00z run had none west of apps.

:lmao:

:arrowhead:

Was only a couple that ended up west of the apps. Keep in mind there is 50+ members. Majority were a inland track though. However last nights 00z run had the majority just off the coast at that point. Thus the noted shift in the ensembles. Thing is KEEPING that trend going. Ofcourse i want a lil more then you do.

gotcha thnx

scanning thru a few afds in our area and none seem to give any thought to the possibility of a further west track.

Iln

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY. THERE IS A CHANCE FOR MINOR SNOW ACCUMULATIONS MONDAY NIGHT AND EARLY TUESDAY AS A WEAKENING SURFACE LOW TRACKS INTO THE OHIO VALLEY. A STRONGER STORM SYSTEM WILL DEVELOP OVER THE EASTERN UNITED STATES TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY. AT THIS TIME...IT APPEARS THE BEST CHANCE FOR ANY ACCUMULATING SNOW WILL BE ACROSS THE MID ATLANTIC AND NEW ENGLAND. HOWEVER...THERE IS STILL A LOT OF UNCERTAINTY REGARDING THE EVENTUAL TRACK OF THIS SYSTEM. IF THE STORM TAKES A TRACK FURTHER INLAND...THEN CHANCES WILL BE HIGHER FOR ACCUMULATING SNOW ACROSS PARTS OF THE OHIO VALLEY. .SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

Not eliminating it either ;)

DGEX looks like it'll head off the coast, although it manages to at least send a few tenths of an inch of QPF up my way.

It's actually really weird. It crushes CPA/CNY but then collapses the storm off the MA coast mostly missing SNE. I think Rochester, NY does better than Boston, MA. This is a track I think you'd see with some extreme blocking downstream but otherwise looks odd.

DGEX looks like it'll head off the coast, although it manages to at least send a few tenths of an inch of QPF up my way.

It's actually really weird. It crushes CPA/CNY but then collapses the storm off the MA coast mostly missing SNE. I think Rochester, NY does better than Boston, MA. This is a track I think you'd see with some extreme blocking downstream but otherwise looks odd.

The DGEX is awful--that solution doesn't even look realistic the way it just magically heads OTS after sitting there on the coast given the height field and its configuration.

Thats because it is all northern energy. No low ever gets going down south. Basically have instead a weak low traveling along i70 which pops off Hatteras and goes out to sea. Nails DC/Philly though.

yup miller B. but even the northern low is weak piece of crap. It would probably end up screwing DC and developing too late in reality.

ANY other time if someone showed me that GFS map i would be excited as hell. Instead it ends up being a kick to the ball's. :ee:

on most of the models around 84-96 have a look that would make me excited as well. Very sharp trough digging deep with a slightly pos tilt. Then the damn thing just moves east without ever going neg. DGEX is a perfect example. Whatever needs to happen to get that trough to back neg just isn't there. I can't figure out why unless it's that additional piece of energy showing up on the back side of the trough...or....something going on in the north atlantic.

This might actually be a better scenario for me...sort of like what yesterday's 12z Euro was showing.

Oh yeah it would be better for a number of us out this way especially if it comes in with more juice. Thinking about it more it is a clipper but a decent one that just happens to lack decent moisture at *this* point.

on most of the models around 84-96 have a look that would make me excited as well. Very sharp trough digging deep with a slightly pos tilt. Then the damn thing just moves east without ever going neg. DGEX is a perfect example. Whatever needs to happen to get that trough to back neg just isn't there. I can't figure out why unless it's that additional piece of energy showing up on the back side of the trough...or....something going on in the north atlantic.

If we were to have more blocking then the clipper option ( GFS ) would fit better especially with a flatter ridge over the Pacific as that does not allow for much digging and thus end up with a clipper instead as there is nothing to pick up the southern jet/energy. I think this goes back to what Baro said about no phase still giving decent results. Just gotta make sure nothing ends up in the south to cut off our flow of GOM moisture however limited it might be.

Archived