bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Potential - Part 7

am19psu

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats going on with phl suburbs seems like each run lowers qpf should i be worried or is it nowcast

This seems more like a NYC/Jersey/LI storm...there haven't been too many runs further west, so I think a more Eastern solution is probable. Depending on where you live, however, it might still be a fairly decent event, although not historic in our backyard. Still could be, but I would err right on the side of caution. You can see Glenn's latest map for the local area by clicking here. Whether or not that verifies will be largely up to the dynamics.

Strong winds will reduce those snow ratios...I would not go more than 11-1 or 12-1 for that reason.

Long day. Time to celebrate Christmas with family and do this all over again tomorrow! Some late Christmas present from Santa huh? :ee:

was thinking the same for LI/coast area's. 12:1 is my standard for these storms but i like to include best case scenario. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

was thinking the same for LI/coast area's. 12:1 is my standard for these storms but i like to include best case scenario. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Nick Gregory always says that, about 12:1 or 13:1 for the coastal regions in these storms, unless you've got sub 20 degree temps, anything from 20-28 or so is usually safe for that range...once you get above 28 you drop back to 10:1 generally.

FWIW, our Gulf low is stronger than modeled. Someone said in the 18z thread that 1006mb reports came in from some buoys.

Almost always happens this way, whether it translates up the coast or not is the question....early in the season we have the warmer waters and better thermal gradients so its possible this will be stronger than modeled up here, but probably no more than 5-8mb or so....no models had the Christmas 02 storm near what it eventually reached off the Delmarva...as a matter of fact some were running 5-10mb low with it on Christmas eve.

The trashcan is filled with posts from this thread. I know this is an exciting event so I have been letting more go than usual, but if you post one liners, smileys, maps with no explanations, or negative troll, don't be shocked to be 5 pp'd for this event. Remember, try not to post for the sake of posting, but to add something of substance.

But in the heaviest snow, the ratios will be very close to 10:1.

Wrong

During the whole storm the 850 temp never goes below -8 so u are looking at those ratios,does not matter how hard its snowing only way you will get 10-1 is if the 850 goes to -1 or -2 other wise get ready for one hell of a stormSnowman.gif

Wrong

During the whole storm the 850 temp never goes below -8 so u are looking at those ratios,does not matter how hard its snowing only way you will get 10-1 is if the 850 goes to -1 or -2 other wise get ready for one hell of a stormSnowman.gif

Wrong. Forecasting ratios is an inexact science. You'll know ratios after the event is over.

There's nothing that can describe the joy of ending my Sabbath and pulling up the computer screen to see we are in a Blizzard warning. Just moments ago I had no info except that the GFS on Fri was starting to show a hit and the Euro was still stubbornly showing nothing. Now seeing the position we are at I couldn't help but literally jump for joy.

If anyone can please fill me in: when did the Euro cave into the GFS? 0z? What came together in the end to make this all work? Is the energy out of Canada phasing better than forecasted before?

Wow, this is just too cool. Can't wait to enjoy a blizzard tomorrow! :D

There's nothing that can describe the joy of ending my Sabbath and pulling up the computer screen to see we are in a Blizzard warning. Just moments ago I had no info except that the GFS on Fri was starting to show a hit and the Euro was still stubbornly showing nothing. Now seeing the position we are at I couldn't help but literally jump for joy.

If anyone can please fill me in: when did the Euro cave into the GFS? 0z? What came together in the end to make this all work? Is the energy out of Canada phasing better than forecasted before?

Wow, this is just too cool. Can't wait to enjoy a blizzard tomorrow! :D

Gut Voch! Euro caved last night at the 00z run.

Wrong. Forecasting ratios is an inexact science. You'll know ratios after the event is over.

When the winds are as strong as forecasted, ratios drop because the flakes get blown apart by the wind. I think we probably manage over 10:1, but ratios like 15:1 are going to be hard to come by if we really see 40+ mph wind.

Oh boyposter_stupid.gif Really thats what you think ok

It's not what I think, it's what I know. Nobody knows for sure a formula for snow ratios. We all generally know, colder means higher ratios. There is no exact math to determine ratios. Models and humans alike have a very hard time accurately predicting ratios. Take your arrogance somewhere else because it won't fly here, especially when you're wrong.

Archived