• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 31-January 2 Hybrid frisbee storm Part 2

Hoosier

Yup...as of 145pm I had 4.5".....I may even challenge my 8.4" from Dec 14th (though this is longer duration). Ill have to wait to see storm postmortum as to how I want to sort it out...but I may consider Dec 31-Jan 2 snowfall as one event. We RARELY have storms/events that span more than 2 calendar days, but I see other NWS offices often consider 3 and even 4 day events as 1 "storm", even with large gaps in snow (i believe the infamous PD storm on the east coast was listed as Feb 14-18, 2003).

The event so far has been:

Dec 31: Snow from 1am to 8am (0.6") then a 4 hour break before snow resumed under an unexpected lake band. The snow lasted til 4pm and dropped another 0.8". Then there was one more 4-hour break before light snow resumed at 8pm and it has been snowing ever since.

Another one of those winters that south is doing better than north around here with the 'bigger' storms.  While the LES & smaller storms I have been doing very well.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coach's clicker take on the system, based off current radar. Green circle stuff moves off to the ENE...red ESE, and blue E. MCI-STL-IND-CMH corridor could do well with the good look to the southern part of the radar.

17z RAP shows this as well. 1-2", lean more 1 than 2, sounds good here...better south.

Screen Shot 2014-01-01 at 2.32.18 PM.png

Is that break around DVN because of the radar outage?

Coach's clicker take on the system, based off current radar. Green circle stuff moves off to the ENE...red ESE, and blue E. MCI-STL-IND-CMH corridor could do well with the good look to the southern part of the radar. 

17z RAP shows this as well. 1-2", lean more 1 than 2, sounds good here...better south.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-01-01 at 2.32.18 PM.png

18z NAM still gives us around 5"  :thumbsup:

Borderline +SN right now. The real deal: http://ustre.am/16Txc

Ever since LOT issued that update about radar trends weakening, rates have been steadily increasing. Lake influence?

you've been under the best convergence band all afternoon and delta Ts are starting to improve. Large scale forcing should be on the decline but most hi-res say you're in a good area for LE later as well.

Another one of those winters that south is doing better than north around here with the 'bigger' storms.  While the LES & smaller storms I have been doing very well.

This should be my 3rd 6"+ storm since Howell has had one (6.3 - Dec 26, 2012...8.4 - Dec 14, 2013...? Dec 31-Jan 2, 2014). The snow has sometimes been deeper here too. Yet you guys of course always avoid the worst of those warm tongue of death/rain/fog/torch whatever events that manage to eat our snow away completely so Im left with piles while you still keep a snowpack, not to mention you nickel and dime your way very well with the smaller events. I was so mad when it happened a few days before Christmas I was this close to wishing for a 25-inch arctic tundra winter with no thaws so Id never have to see grass, not even caring if i saw any decent storms. Then, I change my mind when we get a nice snowfall lol. I guess Im just a snowhog.

:snowwindow:

Glad u guys down there getting the good powdery stuff. Enjoy!

Thanks...its my favorite! Both our big storms this year have been pure powder, and it always reminds me of the "up north" type snow. Other than last years slushfest at the end of February, we really have been getting almost all powder the last two winters.

Archived