• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Feb 13: The little storm that could (for some)

Ian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for those who us who havent seen snow in 2 years, even seeing them on the models though they may not verify is exciting for me. As ive said before...here is a breakdown of my excitement with regards to snowstorms.

40% on paper

55% in the air and on the ground

5% after the storm is over

its funny how euro and gfs also show storms at 192-240 out....lose them for a few days and then bring them back. What causes this to always happen?

i'd say its probably more related to a subjective memory of occurrences that are biased towards that outcome...i know of no physical and/or numerical reason for it to occur.

i'd say its probably more related to a subjective memory of occurrences that are biased towards that outcome...i know of no physical and/or numerical reason for it to occur.

I have not done any research into this but perhaps it is possible as sw for a storm 10 days out enters a data sparse region that the models have problems picking it up until the energy re-emerges into an area it can be sampled better.  I have thoght of that from time to time. 

We all know the problems with this, but with a nice track its possible to get a quick thump snow at the end even into the cities.  But most importantly, I do not think it is a coincidence that the runs that have a more amplified VD storm also show more potential for our PDIII event.  Consider this the appetizer, be happy if we get a coating of snow from a thump of wet cement, and then look towards what I think is a real threat so long as this storm cam amp up and create the -nao signal that we need for the PDIII event.  I still think we have a good chance to get one area wide 2" plus snow event before the season is out. 

Archived