Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Zookeeper Being Fired

Morris

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the data that has so far been posted .  0.4 as of 7:00 PM at Central Park, NY.

NEW YORK

...KINGS COUNTY...
WILLIAMSBURG 0.8 700 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER
COBBLE HILL 0.8 900 PM 1/17 PUBLIC

...NASSAU COUNTY...
WANTAGH 1.3 745 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER
NORTH MERRICK 1.0 700 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER
SEAFORD 1.0 652 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

...NEW YORK COUNTY...
CENTRAL PARK 0.4 700 PM 1/17 ASOS

...QUEENS COUNTY...
HOLLIS HILLS 0.9 900 PM 1/17 PUBLIC
LITTLE NECK 0.8 830 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER
NYC/LA GUARDIA 0.5 700 PM 1/17 ASOS
NYC/JFK AIRPORT 0.5 700 PM 1/17 ASOS

...RICHMOND COUNTY...
STATEN ISLAND 0.5 630 PM 1/17 CO-OP OBSERVER

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...
ISLIP AIRPORT 1.0 700 PM 1/17 ASOS

As a lifelong critic of the zookeeper and the horrible job, he, she , it, did during the last few decades I would certainly say the Conservancy did a much better job than the Central Park Zoo would have done with this storm. I would guess if the Zoo was still in charge the final total would have been in the 20-22 inch range. Maybe even 19.9 if they were really having one of their bad days and just wanted to really annoy everyone like the January 96 blizzard. 20.2 inches, try 25-27, Boxing day 20.0 inches try 23-25? and of course numerous others including as other have pointed out all of the under half inch recorded as a trace. All ridiculous and still makes me shake my head.

My only beef is they measured 25.1 inches at 7pm and Newark and LaGuardia had totals of 25.5 and 24.5 at the same time. Those two ended with 27.9 and 28.1 inches. It is unlikely that Central Park which is geographically right in between the two, 5 miles or so on either side, that there was that big a discrepancy after 7pm. Radar echoes from 7 to midnight would support the case that they dropped the ball, but considering what use to be, I thought it was a decent job by the Conservancy.

As a lifelong critic of the zookeeper and the horrible job, he, she , it, did during the last few decades I would certainly say the Conservancy did a much better job than the Central Park Zoo would have done with this storm. I would guess if the Zoo was still in charge the final total would have been in the 20-22 inch range. Maybe even 19.9 if they were really having one of their bad days and just wanted to really annoy everyone like the January 96 blizzard. 20.2 inches, try 25-27, Boxing day 20.0 inches try 23-25? and of course numerous others including as other have pointed out all of the under half inch recorded as a trace. All ridiculous and still makes me shake my head.

My only beef is they measured 25.1 inches at 7pm and Newark and LaGuardia had totals of 25.5 and 24.5 at the same time. Those two ended with 27.9 and 28.1 inches. It is unlikely that Central Park which is geographically right in between the two, 5 miles or so on either side, that there was that big a discrepancy after 7pm. Radar echoes from 7 to midnight would support the case that they dropped the ball, but considering what use to be, I thought it was a decent job by the Conservancy.

without a dedicated weather nut or on sight Meteorologist to measure the snow we are going to see some discrepancies...

they recorded 26.8" with a depth of 22" the next morning...I think they wiped the board but I'm guessing...

Since the (still) unbeaten record never had more than a 16" depth reported, it seems very likely that the recent storm dumped more snow on Central Park.  (And the recent{?] revision concerning the Dec 1947 storm reports 26" OG on 12/27, a gain of 24" from the pre-storm depth, so that may have been bigger than either 2006 or 2016.)

Edit:  My older data from Utah Climate Center showed that NYC was reporting snow depth to the tenth-inch, switching to full inches on Jan. 1.  They had 0.8" OG for their 12/25 entry - I think depth might have been measured at noon - then "9999" (msg) for 12/26-29.  12/30 had 19.5" and 12/31 had 16.8", then 15" for Jan 1. 

(I also looked at the CLIMOD 2 records for Feb. 2006, which shows max reported depth as 17" rather than 16".  Still well below 22" and further below 12/47.)

This is great news!

CPcantmeasuresnow will be so happy. I've known him for years. His screen name is dedicated to the zoo keeper.

Rjay. I could not have been happier when I saw this last month. When I told my wife we had finally rid the world of the dreaded zookeeper she looked at me like I was nuts. She may be right.

I doubt it's really going to make much of a difference short of having an ASOS contractor taking the proper measurements. Measuring snow is a sticky science not likely to be fully grasped by these Central Park Conservancy "members". Pretty ridiculous if you ask me...we're talking about New York City...commit a qualified person to take the ****ing measurements already!

without a dedicated weather nut or on sight Meteorologist to measure the snow we are going to see some discrepancies...

Not exactly sure how using ASOS works with measuring but how about just have a met from Upton go stay in a hotel near the park and do the proper measuring of the snow during a storm? It couldn't be that much out of the budget. That way there wouldn't be so much controversy surrounding the measurements knowing that an actual NWS met did it on site the proper way. Just a general idea that might not be feasible according to more knowledgable posters/mets. Please keep the bashing to a minimum. This is only my 3rd time posting after lurking for years on end.

• 2 weeks later...

In the overnight squalls LGA picks up 0.7 inches, Newark 0.1 and right in between them Central Park a trace. I'm nitpicking but so far this season I don't see much of an improvement from the Conservancy. And yes a lot of it stems from the January 23rd storm and the failures after 7pm and midnight.

So far this year on every event major and minor Central Park has come in low on the totem pole vs. LGA, JFK and Newark. The odds on that happening are extremely low.

I'll still give the Conservancy a higher grade than the zoo but not by much.

In the overnight squalls LGA picks up 0.7 inches, Newark 0.1 and right in between them Central Park a trace. I'm nitpicking but so far this season I don't see much of an improvement from the Conservancy. And yes a lot of it stems from the January 23rd storm and the failures after 7pm and midnight.

So far this year on every event major and minor Central Park has come in low on the totem pole vs. LGA, JFK and Newark. The odds on that happening are extremely low.

is there a way to post the radar for last night...I must have had a dusting because there was a little snow on my car windshield and I noticed a little on the neighbors deck...the observer must be sleeping during these small events...The airports depend on accurate snow obs and snow and ice on the ground...

is there a way to post the radar for last night...I must have had a dusting because there was a little snow on my car windshield and I noticed a little on the neighbors deck...the observer must be sleeping during these small events...The airports depend on accurate snow obs and snow and ice on the ground...

Here you go:

http://www.northshorewx.com/american/codnexlab-NEXRAD-OKX-N0Q-20160211-1739.096ani.gif

Dusting for the park looks quite feasible.  Main snow shower was east of Manhattan.  What's more impressive on this loop is the 5 hours of steady snow that occurred near Montauk.

Here you go:

http://www.northshorewx.com/american/codnexlab-NEXRAD-OKX-N0Q-20160211-1739.096ani.gif

Dusting for the park looks quite feasible.  Main snow shower was east of Manhattan.  What's more impressive on this loop is the 5 hours of steady snow that occurred near Montauk.

it looked like some green blobs went over Manhattan...they reported light snow 2 and 3am...

We had a minimum of .5" up at Columba. Could have been closer to an inch. It's events like this that hurt the climo record

We lost the record biggest storm from that. I have a 4 acre campus with a large lawn In the middle to use as a measuring spot. Pretty much as good as you can get in Manhattan. I could easily take over

In all seriousness I wish you would or at least someone that takes the job seriously. I have complained to NOAA about this for years and they have always ackknowledged the problem but until last year when they changed three snowfall totals after the fact and then kicked out the zookeeper last autumn they never did anything about it.

Last year at the height of my complaints they actually asked me if I Would be interested in doing it. Living in Orange County and with a full time job it wasn't practical but I was tempted. If anyone out there is interested contact them, this Conservancy thing has not been much of an upgrade IMHO.

Based on the NYC ASOS obs the other night I didn't think they saw anything measurable. LGA was 1/2 mile in snow for 10-15 minutes. I think NYC was 2 miles very briefly

There was most likely at least one tenth of an inch most likely closer to a half inch. The other night isn't realty the point though this has been an on going problem for decades and its early in the Conservancys regime but they are not off to a good start IMO.

There was most likely at least one tenth of an inch most likely closer to a half inch. The other night isn't realty the point though this has been an on going problem for decades and its early in the Conservancys regime but they are not off to a good start IMO.

We had similar returns as Central Park on the east side of those squalls the other night and had an un-measurable dusting.  I'd give the conservancy more time before declaring the newly trained members inept.  Some of them might even be weenies.

We can't expect the current team to make up for past errors by over-measuring.

Archived