• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Possible NYC snow Wed Night or Thursday

Mitchel Volk

Don't worry about temps right now. Look to see if the pattern supports a storm. If the models consistently show a storm, worry about track/intensity/temps/precipitation types inside 72 hours.

I know that. I'm just stating what the model shows. Take everything with a grain of salt this far out.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's quite a simplistic way of looking at blocking vs lack of blocking.

all I'm saying is there's a chance of precipitation. Now if the precipitation hits the ground, it looks like it will be cold enough to snow (unlike weather channel and the rest show us raining for Wednesdays storm). I think if there's precipitation around it will be snow. The question is how east offshore is this system? Do we even get any QPF?

I love how some people are all in and then all out on the next model run 5-6 days away Lol. Seriously.

Anyway, long ways to go. Euro ensembles were a bit more promising earlier, I'm interested too see what they have tonight.

I look at the models when I wake up. That's the first thing that I do lol. I would stay up for the Euro but I am tooo tired. Now if a snowstorm was approaching, I would pull an all nighter. Did that a couple of times last year lol.

all I'm saying is there's a chance of precipitation. Now if the precipitation hits the ground, it looks like it will be cold enough to snow (unlike weather channel and the rest show us raining for Wednesdays storm). I think if there's precipitation around it will be snow. The question is how east offshore is this system? Do we even get any QPF.

It depends on the intensity of the storm and the track. If we just get light precip, it will be in the form of rain. Remember ,it's still November so we need heavier rates to cool the boundary layer.

It depends on the intensity of the storm and the track. If we just get light precip, it will be in the form of rain. Remember ,it's still November so we need heavier rates to cool the boundary layer.

yea like dynamic cooling and evaporative cooling but mostly the dynamic cooling because that impacts the other. The stronger the storm the more dynamic cooling you will have. Last year with virtual no blocking, we still managed mad snow.

yea like dynamic cooling and evaporative cooling but mostly the dynamic cooling because that impacts the other. The stronger the storm the more dynamic cooling you will have. Last year with virtual no blocking, we still managed mad snow.

Last year we had transient blocking with good timing. It was a -epo driven winter which helped keep us cold throughout.

all I'm saying is there's a chance of precipitation. Now if the precipitation hits the ground, it looks like it will be cold enough to snow (unlike weather channel and the rest show us raining for Wednesdays storm). I think if there's precipitation around it will be snow. The question is how east offshore is this system? Do we even get any QPF?

It's not necessarily cold enough for snow on the coast for the first wave. The 12z ECM shows 540 dam thicknesses slicing through the coast for the Wednesday event. There's a reason for this: the antecedent airmass is very warm, and the cold frontal passage causes compressional warming on W winds for the coastal plain. 

The models showing warm surface temps are justified. And it's late November, the average high is 50F in NYC. Precipitation type is a real concern should the first system be the main threat.

Timing separate vorts and QPF are hard for the model to solve 5 days out. But watch the ridge axis for orientation and then it's just timing.

It's a similar setup to the post SB storm . Where the cold front swung through after 2 days of mid 50s . The atmosphere cooled and a deepening center cooled the BL .

I think the models are in good agreement as to how far through the front sags and stalls . It comes down to can the back side piece get caught in time as the southern piece lifts out.

it's a good pattern for late Nov. Just a timing issue that all

I have been reading this thread , totally agree with post that says if there is potential let's talk about potential ..I have seen so many times models flip cannot hug any model at this time ; even if climo not on our side and other factors against us still interesting to track and watch the patterns ..I have a feeling our golden time to watch to will be after December 10-15 anything before that pure luck (that's just my opinion )..

Archived