• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall thread for the mountains

Met1985

Some good analysis by Robert on facebook about an hour ago about out possible snow this weekend.

Here's a quick look at snow "possiblilities" on Sunday Night and Monday, Monday Night, early Tuesday. The front will have a weak low develop in Texas and quickly run up the East Coast, and west of the mountains, the rain will change to snow but only for a couple of hours --very brief event, in Arkansas and through middle Tennessee. But in the mountains of TN, NC, VA, West VA, a much longer lasting snow even thanks to cold advection and general upslope snowfall (moisture lifting in mountains).

It's worth keeping an eye on the strength of the low further west for a quick burst of snow in northern Texas and possibly northern Mississippi early Monday morning as well, but won't last long. After this front, dry and cold for Tuesday and Wednesday.

I talked to him last night he said quick mover. I will be in smokey mountains for weekend and Nashville Monday night. Sounds like I will see flakes and very cold Temps with the wind

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah GFS showing this idea some.  I don't think we see much accumulation in the valley but we could have some flakes flying.  Too bad that warm nose keeps us from getting a decent event.

man I wish we didn't have to ever worry about that warm nose.  that has ruined a couple shots of snow in the past and now.

Man everyone sure did miss the snow last night and today, don't think anyone called for a hefty dusting and snow flurries lasting the entire day today.

I agree man. I know no one was really calling for any snow at all. Although it started snowing around 5 yesterday here in Haywood but still nothing. Was a real treat when I woke up and everything was white and it was pouring.  It is so difficult to forecast the weather here in the mountains especially in the winter. Hope you post more man and hope all is well. Temp down to 14 degrees.

I agree man. I know no one was really calling for any snow at all. Although it started snowing around 5 yesterday here in Haywood but still nothing. Was a real treat when I woke up and everything was white and it was pouring. It is so difficult to forecast the weather here in the mountains especially in the winter. Hope you post more man and hope all is well. Temp down to 14 degrees.

I'll certainly try and post more and I was surprised to see side roads that were in shaded areas still iced over this evening. I know everyone lives and dies by Rays around here in Boone (called for flurries) so I know a lot of people were shocked to have half inch and slick roads this morning.

I'll certainly try and post more and I was surprised to see side roads that were in shaded areas still iced over this evening. I know everyone lives and dies by Rays around here in Boone (called for flurries) so I know a lot of people were shocked to have half inch and slick roads this morning.

Yeah I really was not looking for much myself. I do not follow rays because our climate can be so different than up there. Yeah the roads were white here as well and stayed that way. The ground temp has really dropped recently here and will continue during this extreme cold stretch. We still have a lot of mountains around here covered in rime ice and snow.

Very impressive low for Mid November. So far we have hit 9 degrees this morning. Wow sometimes we don't even hit single digits in the winter let alone in November. Very impressive cold shot for this time of the year. Next week could be even colder. Maybe some readings around 0 if we have some snow on the ground and right know it does look like we could be seeing a bit.

Very impressive low for Mid November. So far we have hit 9 degrees this morning. Wow sometimes we don't even hit single digits in the winter let alone in November. Very impressive cold shot for this time of the year. Next week could be even colder. Maybe some readings around 0 if we have some snow on the ground and right know it does look like we could be seeing a bit.

No doubt! I assume it took some by surprise. I was pleasantly shocked with a low of 22 down here in the foothills. Not close to your reading of 9 but awesome nonetheless.

Bundle up :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All eyes on thanksgiving right know and things look to be on the cool to cold side with a front coming through. The GFS really drops an arctic shot down the day of Thanksgiving and even brings some upslope snow in that evening then drops the hammer on day 9. The Euro looks cool but not as extreme. wants to drop a trough more in the west and northern tier. We warm up after Thanksgiving. We are a week away so would not take either one serious tight know.

• 2 weeks later...

How many feet you up to?  33 here, and could snow, if the clouds weren't scattered, and there were some moisture in them :)   Sometimes when it's super cold I like to imagine all those stars are snow flakes, but the imagine sledding is crapola, lol.  So....only one foot, huh.  Guess my bet you won't see over 150 feet this winter is looking pretty good.  Buffalo might, but Joe?  No so much :)  Hope you had a good Turkey day up there in Fancy Yancey on your mountain hideaway!  T

I'll take a few nice days. Winter will come back.

Yes I will to Joe. Not worried one bit about the weather coming in for December. It looks more like average to me than anything else. Sure we will have some above normal day but look at the stretch we are coming out of. I think a cold pattern sets back in towards the end of December. Until then put the Christmas lights up and enjoy the break.

Huge temperature inversion this morning. 50 degrees in Boone, 26 in Morganton.

Yeah that is impressive. We had a low of 36 but back up to 50 degrees already. Looks like the next week will be a wet one and pretty normal in the temp department. Looking at the teleconnections I see the PNA wants to rise sharply but do not see that yet on the modeling. The AO looks like it wants to start to go negative after the first week of December but still a lot of spread and the NAO is well not showing up the way we need it to.

Archived