joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 4th-6th Major Winter Storm Part 4

andyhb

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOVE your pics guys. Here are some I took on the way home. Traffic still crawling as roads are dangerous. Wind is just brutal. I mean BRUTAL. Snow still drifting. I am estimating an additional 0.4" of snow fell this morning as it was snowing good (obviously my snowboard is drifted over) so storm total 10.3". I dont rank this particular storm as near the top, but what IS very memorable for me is an 11.6" storm and a 10.3" storm THE SAME WEEK. Its truly something thats never happened before for me (I wasnt around in 1900 lmaosmiley.gif)

No fancy pics, too bitterly cold, just snapping what I see. Best snowpack here since 1999, second best of my lifetime. Its not so much "drifty" snowpack as it is a variable one due to the assault of wind both prestorm and post storm. In general depth ranges from 11-21" from what I have been measuring, and Im going with 16-17" as the average. For instance, my next door neighbors yard is a solid 20-21" of snow. It isnt a drift...its the whole yard. Before 1999 you would have to go to 1982. The fact that the snowbanks are a product of two large snowfalls makes it look even more impressive than the depth is.

3706-800.jpg

3707-800.jpg

3708-800.jpg

3709-800.jpg

roof drifts

3710-800.jpg

Got stuck in street...30 mins late for work lol

3711-800.jpg

Brutally cold sunset

3712-800.jpg

Roads sheathed in slipperyness

3713-800.jpg

Traffic going at 1/3 posted speed limit

3714-800.jpg

Braving the wind

3715-800.jpg

CONT....

Nice pictures! Will be documenting this event over in its designated thread located here:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42299-monday-through-wednesday-lake-effect-snow-event/#entry2623707

Come join us in the discussion if you guys want! Will be posting videos/pictures/radar loops in there to put together a montage of this potential historic event.

EC has issued a 'blowing snow warning' for here.  I've never heard of it before.......  Anybody else see this before?

It's a rarely used warning. It'll become a blowing snow advisory in April.

Edit: Also, OPP in Perth & Huron Counties have closed all roads.

Finished with 8.5" here.

Some pics from today.

The last one is from last night. Some moron jack knifed his pick up then tried to unload his skid steer to get the truck out but got that stuck too.

Nice pics. Where was the last taken at, with the jack knifed truck?

Looks like the LES band will set up just south of the city.

hrrr_t_precip_toronto_16.png

I love that run...a lot!  :snowing: It shows the heaviest precip. right on top of me; it would be nice to be in the worst (in my case, best) spot for once.

Once in a 30 year storm there saying. They are closing the thruway from the city of Buffalo all the way to the PA line at 8 pm with no time table in opening it. Unprecedented storm for this area.

That's insane, even worse than that November 2000 state of emergency? :axe:  That is a paradise for snow lovers right now, I'd snow-chase that if I had time to get there beforehand. Hopefully I get the worst of it from Huron so we both can be enjoying the ultimate LES wrath! I've been hungry for it!

Thunder snow within the band currently with 50+ mph winds and temperatures in the single digits. This is absolutely insane. I've never seen anything like this.

Pretty much the total package and then some. Please get the video camera, doesn't matter if its night because you could start indoors and work your way outside  ;) . 720p or higher video is preferred.

I was getting annoyed at the lack of heavy snow until 4:30 pm when it really came up and stayed:

fvlavn.png

34xqjuq.png

The streamers are like fire hoses, very powerful and chaotic. Really cool watching them morph and flop. I was locked in until that great band shifted again  :angry: . I thought it was locked!

these radar returns are insane given the cold air. visibility is in hundreds of feet.

if this stays in place, completely expect 5-8" tonight.

attachicon.gifradar.png

Snowing here pretty good as well, NWS updated forecast for another 4 inches tonight with another 2-3 tomorrow. More than I was expecting might have to fire up the snowblower again.

Archived