• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2013-14 MA Winter Disco - 'cause it's never too early.

Bob Chill

The urge to speculate about winter cannot be denied. I've already cluttered up a thread or 2 so I figured I'll go ahead and start it off this year. 

All eyes on ENSO of course. Nino or bust it seems. Anything but a Nina.

CFS has been looking good for Dec 1-5th timeframe. Everytime I look there is some sort of coastal and cold air in place. Only about 5,200 hours to go until we can lock it in. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ Ouch...

CPC pretty much states that ENSO neutral is favored through summer and that models have a tough time with skill during mid-late spring that they call "spring barrier" whatever that means. 

I don't think any model is going to pick up on a meaningful trend one way or another until probably mid-July. 

Just don't get jealous when my thread is more interesting and has more posts than the severe one. 

Ian's been posting in the Staff forum nonstop about how he "<3's the snow" and "svr wx sux".  I think he just can't admit it to the board at large yet.  :(  

+2, 5-8"...sounds about right for a non-Nino next year.....we might be able to inch closer to 8-10" if we have a weak nino

given the likelihood of blocking...if we got a mod/strong Nino, and there wasn't some immovable monstrosity in the EPO region as we headed toward december, I think we'd be good for 25-50" metro wide..maybe more

+2, 5-8"...sounds about right for a non-Nino next year.....we might be able to inch closer to 8-10" if we have a weak nino

Hard to argue that. Recent history has been pretty stark irt enso & snow. 

If we don't go Nino the Nina hangover effect will be gone. Then things get really unpredictable. Blocking has been showing up in force for 3 of the last 4 years. Pac is always a wildcard. At least it oscillated between good and crappy last year and didn't hose us completely. 

If we don't go Nino the Nina hangover effect will be gone. Then things get really unpredictable. Blocking has been showing up in force for 3 of the last 4 years. Pac is always a wildcard. At least it oscillated between good and crappy last year and didn't hose us completely. 

I think it is still there until we get a warm event, especially in a -PDO regime....a car that still smells like the previous owner with BO......you could make a case for something like say 85-86 and you get salvaged by a late FEB flurry to get 15-20" metro wide for the season, but that was in the middle of a monster +PDO regime, so we had a much more favorable PAC...without Nino forcing, we default to a ****ty PAC....lots of west to east events with 0.08" QPF as it splits over the mountains and the precip shield looks like a dying 100 year old..

I think it is still there until we get a warm event, especially in a -PDO regime....a car that still smells like the previous owner with BO......you could make a case for something like say 85-86 and you get salvaged by a late FEB flurry to get 15-20" metro wide for the season, but that was in the middle of a monster +PDO regime, so we had a much more favorable PAC...without Nino forcing, we default to a ****ty PAC....lots of west to east events with 0.08" QPF as it splits over the mountains and the precip shield looks like a dying 100 year old..

I know its just stating the obvious, but I'd think snowfall is the one item that would be hardest to predict.  You did a great job with temp picks last year.  The snow part is just so "luck of the draw".  Seriously, DC was about 10 degrees TOTAL from having a pretty good snowfall year.  I think if we are NOT Nina, there's at least a reasonable chance of a good snowfall year even for you guys down low.  Of course, there's a reasonable chance of not being part of the "draw" also. 

This thread will have a lot of the above, but stated in a different way.

This thread is funny. It has 28 replies in just over 5 hours and the April severe thread has 245 replies in 30 days.

Proving that Dave doesn't know what he is talking about saying snow weenies and severe weenies are the same.

Archived