joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it snowed also last night on Burke Mountain right next to where us LSC folk go.... Of course I am back home in Coastal Maine when I would love to be up top of Burke at dawn this morning. Great pictures from everyone! Winter is getting closer! I don't know why but I am very excited but maybe just like ctsnowstorm628 I am excited to start forecasting it for Vermont AOT!

Awesome pics!

Whats your elevation, looks like you're pretty far up.

Well I live at like 750ft in town, but work and play at the ski resort.

Those photos are from 3,600-3,700ft at 8am this morning. Unfortunately a lot of it melted during the day but its still on the evergreens and in the shaded areas.

Snow level was around mid-mountain with a faint coating starting at 2,500ft...

IMG_8003_edited-1.jpg

But really more consistent coverage was from 2,800-3,000ft and higher. In this photo the work road that cuts across the trail halfway through the picture is pretty much exactly 3,000ft.

IMG_8012_edited-1.jpg

However, up top it was full on winter. A few snow showers came through in the morning, then the sun came out and it was beautiful. This is pretty much close to average for first snow up here though, maybe a week early (I usually think of mid-October as the average date).

IMG_8116_edited-1.jpg

4" down and only 296" left to go... ;)

Snowfall totals from BTV... I phoned in 3.5" this morning, though it was more like 4" on elevated surfaces. Looks like Mansfield was near the best combo of precipitation and cold air. Jay Peak was likely colder with less precip, while Killington had more precip but marginal temperatures.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
937 AM EDT MON OCT 08 2012
THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 12
HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION
IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE AND COCORAHS
OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS...SKI RESORTS...AND MEDIA FOR THESE
REPORTS. SNOW WAS PRIMARILY CONFINED TO 3000 FEET AND ABOVE. THIS
SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON
********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************
LOCATION		 STORM TOTAL	 TIME/DATE COMMENTS
				 SNOWFALL		 OF
				 /INCHES/ MEASUREMENT
VERMONT
...CALEDONIA COUNTY...
3 ESE EAST BURKE	 0.5 935 AM 10/08 BURKE MTN- 3270`
...CHITTENDEN COUNTY...
MT. MANSFIELD		 3.5 900 AM 10/08 STOWE RESORT- 3625`
...ORLEANS COUNTY...
5 WSW JAY			 1.5 932 AM 10/08 JAY PEAK- 3600`
...RUTLAND COUNTY...
4 W WEST BRIDGEWATER 1.0 934 AM 10/08 KILLINGTON RESORT- 4000`
$$
MUCCILLI

I'm jelly.

You guys should get some automated ultrasonic depth sensors up there so you can follow the increasing depth remotely. I've been playing with one for here to use this winter.

I would absolutely love to have one of those... the other thing myself and a patroller are still working on, is a remote camera set up to monitor a snowstake up there. I'd love to have a live feed (or every 10 minutes or something) of a camera looking at a snow board setup. The probably would be you can't see it at night unless we put some sort of LED light on it. We've looked into it and if we put a battery in a padded box (like a cooler or something) and use solar to charge the battery, then we could send the image remotely via antenna to the summit lodge, and then bring it down in the communications line for the lift. That's way over my head but my buddy on ski patrol is really into it and seems to know what he's talking about. But I'd guess that's a year or two out as we still have to put together a presentation on it and sell it to management.

I think it would be sweet to have a live cam just focused on a snowstake at the top.

4" of snow overnight.

Beautifully documented as usual PF, and with that, Mansfield is off to the races in 2012-2013 snowfall. This October now officially falls into the 90+% of Octobers with accumulating snowfall:

08OCT12C.jpg

Of course this also means that the Mt. Mansfield coop station has also officially begun its underreporting of snowfall for the season, as they only found 1.5 inches of new snow from this event.

How much you think there was at the very top Scott?

I bet it wasn't much more than what I measured at 3,600ft... it seemed that after about 3,200-3,300ft or so the snow depth stopped increasing. That may have been the original snow line last night and would fit with folks who saw snow showers yesterday up there down to around 3,000ft. From 3,500-4,395ft there may not have been all that much difference if that area was accumulating during the whole event. I guess I could believe up to 4.5" at the very top due to slightly higher ratios 800ft higher up.

Of course this also means that the Mt. Mansfield coop station has also officially begun its underreporting of snowfall for the season, as they only found 1.5 inches of new snow from this event.

Thanks, J.Spin. Yeah that's exactly why I took a bunch of photos and a few with a ruler to show the snow. By the time I left the top at 5pm though most of the snow had melted out except in shaded areas and north facing sides of the evergreens.

So at 4-5pm when they report to NWS, there probably was only 1.5" or so new snow... and also there's the ol' factor of the 8-inch rain gauge they use for snowfall to under-catch due to the gusty winds on the ridge. I say that because the 0.27" of liquid was lower than I would've expected given 4" of snow up there this morning. Even if it melted I would've thought they'd have 0.4-0.5" in the can.

Oh well, they've been doing it for 60 years like that and don't appear to want to change. At least its consistently inconsistent, lol.

I sent my photos to the NWS too, so they know I'm not yanking their chain with my reports.

The Northern Greens have been breaking out of the clouds over the past couple of hours, so I snapped a picture from here in Burlington of Mt. Mansfield with its first snow of the season:

Man that is a sweet shot, J.Spin. Brings back good memories of fall in the Burlington area. The shots of the Spine from the west side are always appreciated.

Archived