Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PF- I'm learning more and more that for the greens when the temps are in the snow growth range disregard the qpf modeled. Anything that moves through with -10 to -15c temps is going to give you 4-6 of snow across the spine.

Hahaha... I wish it was that easy.

Skied with GP and KC this morning... everyone is very surprised with the depth of the new snow up there. With 6.0" on the snow board at the base, my 5-7" morning report definitely was a little low in the higher elevations or at least that's what I've heard from folks this morning. I'm leaving it at 7" but gotta love these midweek powder mornings when there's like 30 people here and empty chairs heading up. No Saturday rush and plenty of pow to go around. Still got untracked straight down Nosedive on the second run of the morning. After skiing parts of the upper basin there in Nosedive, Rim Rock, Bypass, Cliff Trail, etc above 3,000ft seemed like they had more like 8-9". Solid boot deep fluff. Very easy to get face shots just by turning sideways in this stuff.

Ratios have got to be 30-40:1... its ridiculously fluffy. You ski through boot deep snow and you feel very little resistence. Ungroomed stuff is still frozen and icy under the pow.

Looks like a pretty general 6-8" in central Maine, pretty nice for a quick little clipper. Had 7.0" of 18:1 fluff IMBY, with 6" coming in 3 hr pre-dawn. Brings my season total to only about 5" below avg for the date. The past 4 Januarys have been ridiculously consistent for snowfall, each totaling 24.6" to 27.5". We might have a chance to continue the streak, since this overperformer brings me to 14.5" with a week and a half to go. Too bad if the early week downpour verifies, though, as my nice foot-plus snowpack would get hammered back to 5-6" of glop-turning-to-armorplate.

Here's the localized map of CoCoRAHS observers... I can't believe there was nothing on this map within 2 inches of what I got, though I do see 6" in southern Washington County. I put my measurements in black.

Makes me really question my measurements but I know I what we got, lol. I'll post some pics later that should support these numbers.

Final was 6.3" at 1,549ft and 6.5" at 3,014ft. With 5.5" in town on the Mountain Road at 800ft.

Here's the localized map of CoCoRAHS observers... I can't believe there was nothing on this map within 2 inches of what I got, though I do see 6" in southern Washington County. I put my measurements in black.

Makes me really question my measurements but I know I what we got, lol. I'll post some pics later that should support these numbers.

Final was 6.3" at 1,549ft and 6.5" at 3,014ft. With 5.5" in town on the Mountain Road at 800ft.

The 3.7 in SW Washington county seems to be a good representation of what I had at my house. The forecast was calling for 1" - 3" so I consider it an overperformer. Would live to see another overperformer tonight and tomorrow but am not holding my breath.

Well regardless of what other parts of town got... there must've been a squall stuck over this side of town because we got lit up between here and the mountain.

My car was completely clean at 8pm last night. There was around 6" on the roof at 4:45am and my normal measuring spot had 5.5" which is what I reported from town.

Up at the mountain, it was the usual mid-week, no one there... just lap after lap of boot deep powder.

For anyone thinking about doing some skating on Lake Morey, the resort now has a webcam showing the conditions.

Be sure to check out the cam next weekend for the 3rd Annual Vermont Pond Hockey Championships. I will be one of the guys wearing a bright color shirt reffing the games :).

http://www.lakemoreyresort.com/webcams/

Wasn't sure if you had seen this yet Allenson, I think it just went live.

Well regardless of what other parts of town got... there must've been a squall stuck over this side of town because we got lit up between here and the mountain.

My car was completely clean at 8pm last night. There was around 6" on the roof at 4:45am and my normal measuring spot had 5.5" which is what I reported from town.

over here at the smuggs village, seems we got a bit less. always storm-dependent, but overall, the event over-performed. 3-4" in the village, 4-6" generally up on the hill. Mansfield managed to wring out a bit more it seems. No suprises with localized intensity. Funny, how we split hairs over a couple inches, and the tetons and sierras can finally split hairs in feet....

over here at the smuggs village, seems we got a bit less. always storm-dependent, but overall, the event over-performed. 3-4" in the village, 4-6" generally up on the hill. Mansfield managed to wring out a bit more it seems. No suprises with localized intensity. Funny, how we split hairs over a couple inches, and the tetons and sierras can finally split hairs in feet....

Haha yeah. Well actually I thought our area had finally beaten the fabled Jay Peak in snowfall as both Stowe and Smuggs seemed to have a solid half foot...and Jay reported 3" yesterday morning. Well, after our reports went out, Jay magically updated to 8" around 9am to steal the show again.

So storm totals from that storm now look like this. I'm not sure how they do it but I'm pretty sure we have yet to beat Jay Peak in snowfall on any event as each time it looks like a resort somewhere else will top them, they update the report with more snow. One of these times I'll get more on the snow board than Jay:

Jay...8"

Smuggs...6"

Stowe...7"

Bolton...6"

MRG...3"

Sugarbush...4"

Killington...3"

Little bit of light snow here this morning. Doesn't look to add up to much but I'll take it.

For anyone thinking about doing some skating on Lake Morey, the resort now has a webcam showing the conditions.

Be sure to check out the cam next weekend for the 3rd Annual Vermont Pond Hockey Championships. I will be one of the guys wearing a bright color shirt reffing the games :).

http://www.lakemorey...rt.com/webcams/

Wasn't sure if you had seen this yet Allenson, I think it just went live.

No, hadn't heard/seen this yet--very cool. I can even see my family's place on the cam! Thanks for the heads up.

I haven't skated yet this year--been very busy inside with home renovations lately but by next weekend, I might be in good shape to acutally go out and have some winter fun. If I do, I'll skate over and say hello.

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.02” L.E.

Light snow comprised of 1-2 mm flakes this morning at the house, although it looks like that band with stronger 16-20 db echoes is about to move into the area:

21JAN12A.gif

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 6.3 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.5 inches

I had 0.2" with a 16" depth at my 5am check of the 1,549ft snow board and stake.

Looks like around a half inch out there now. We've been in some nice light bands so far and seeing steady light snowfall here at the mountain. Some very cold snow, too, as its now down to 0F here and -2F at the peak.

A healthy inch of sub-zero dust from 3,000ft and above. Skiing is quite good on the groomed trails. The 6-7" of fluff really groomed out nicely on the frozen granular base...put it back to a mainly packed powder surface with some loose granular mixed in. Ungroomed stuff is variable with left over loose powder on top of a frozen base. Classic eastern ungroomed skiing, haha. Not exactly the most pleasant experience but will make you hardy. It *looks* nicer than it skis. I'm sure the groomers will get icy though by the afternoon as that fluff that packed in doesn't seem all that durable to me but who knows.

Always nice to have an inch of fluff to push around this morning on top of the groomers though. Makes the skiing look real nice with wisps of powder trailing everyone.

Little bit of light snow here this morning. Doesn't look to add up to much but I'll take it.

No, hadn't heard/seen this yet--very cool. I can even see my family's place on the cam! Thanks for the heads up.

I haven't skated yet this year--been very busy inside with home renovations lately but by next weekend, I might be in good shape to acutally go out and have some winter fun. If I do, I'll skate over and say hello.

I thought that was about where you said their place was. Yeah very excited about the cam, I had mentioned to them a couple winters ago about getting a cam. Kids and I are going over this morning in about an hour for a little skate, I will let you know how it looks. Hopefully just the torch on Monday and then sub freezing weather for rest of the week. I know they have to have at least 12" for the Zamboni.

If you stop by ask for Ken, I will also be wearing a yellow and brown Bruins hat :).

Tapering off now, brightening skies and even some glimpses of a milky blue above. Might have one more band later on as it seems to be still snowing in NW VT. We'll see.

I thought that was about where you said their place was. Yeah very excited about the cam, I had mentioned to them a couple winters ago about getting a cam. Kids and I are going over this morning in about an hour for a little skate, I will let you know how it looks. Hopefully just the torch on Monday and then sub freezing weather for rest of the week. I know they have to have at least 12" for the Zamboni.

If you stop by ask for Ken, I will also be wearing a yellow and brown Bruins hat :).

Sounds good, man. Glad to here of your hat selection too. ;)

Yeah, my familiy's place over on the left. You can see a couple white cottages that used to be part of the old Rutledge Inn. To the right of them is a dark piney/hemlocky spot and then to the right of that, I can make out my uncle's boathouse roof with snow on it. They're right across from where Baldtop Road meets the Lake Road--Allen, Pine Point.

I'll be sure to send this link to family. My parents are doing the snowbird thing in sunny warm Florida till April, ha-ha.

Tapering off now, brightening skies and even some glimpses of a milky blue above. Might have one more band later on as it seems to be still snowing in NW VT. We'll see.

Yeah we've been seeing steady light snow... like 2 mile vis type stuff but the snow growth is really good (big dendrite snow globe stuff) and its very cold so it is adding up slowly.

Just did a 9:30am check of the snowboards and we've got:

1.0" at 3,000ft with 34" on the ground.

0.7" at 1,500ft with 16" on the ground.

We’ve just had continued light snow here this morning, but unlike the early morning’s 1-2 mm flakes, the flakes are huge now with many in the 1” range, so the loft is fantastic. I didn’t think this would be the storm to push to the 60” mark, but it may be possible if the flakes keep up at this size, since there’s another 1.1” on the snowboard as of 9:45 A.M. Radar returns seem to be topping out around 20-24 db in this area; I’ve attached the latest composite radar image below:

21JAN12B.gif

I'm thoroughly enjoying the light 14-degree powder that's dusting our snowpack. What had looked like a torchy weekend (esp. Sunday) has evolved into the most wintry one the region has had this season. Some sledding today with the boys, hockey game tonight, and it will be nice to see the snow piles during tomorrow's Pats game.

The snow looks to be reduced in areal coverage now, but the light snowfall comprised of big flakes is continuing with 1.7” on the snowboard as of 11:00 A.M. I’m planning to run a liquid analysis at noon, although I don’t expect a lot of liquid as this snow will probably come in sub 5% H2O. I’ve added a recent composite radar image below:

21JAN12C.gif

Event totals: 2.2” Snow/0.06” L.E.

The accumulated snow from this last round was very dry as anticipated, coming in well under 5% H2O. The stuff that has been falling is actually a bit fluffier than the 1:50 that came in for this aggregate noontime reading, as there were still a couple tenths of an inch of the tiny flakes from earlier today on the bottom of the snowboard stack. Since the 12:00 P.M. clearing, another 0.3” has fallen.

Some details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 2.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 50.0

Snow Density: 2.0% H2O

Temperature: 15.8 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 11.0 inches

We have anywhere from 1.2-1.5" at the base depending on where the dendrites have stacked up. I haven't seen this in quite a while with variations along the surface of the snow of over a half inch in some spots due to the way the aggregates are stacking up. This snow growth is absolutely ridiculous.

I'll post some pics to illustrate this later.

Archived