• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Stratospheric Warming event on the way?

In the long-range, one is seeing a shrinking of the area of warm anomalies and deepening cold ones. That could be an indication of a lack of blocking in the long-range. If the long-range forecast plays out, the polar vortex would strengthen anew and a strong AO+ regime would reassert itself. That would increase prospects for warmth in the East, especially if a PNA- setup is in place.

I don't think that is a foregone conclusion by any stretch, Don.

So far we have seen a forecast increase in wavenumber 1 activity which is about to set off a warming within the stratosphere. The stratosphere has been very cold so far this autumn and winter which has led to stronger than average vortex conditions driven right through into the troposphere. But I suspect a slow change is on the way.

Firstly, if we look at the zonal mean wind anomalies for November and December we see that the period of greatly increased zonal wind anomalies is already showing signs of subsiding even prior to the forecast warming. This may be linked to the slowly increasing ozone content or greater influence from the easterly QBO at the mid stratospheric level.

post-451-0-93940700-1324408582.gif

I have added lines to indicated the downwelling seen from the zonal winds already witnessed in the troposphere and also I have indicated what is likely to possibly occur in the future.

Even without a SSW we see a drop in the mean zonal winds which are likely to hit the troposphere in the first half of January. My guess is that we will see a reduction in the zonal tropospheric conditions during that period with the chance of blocking becoming more likely. Any SSW will only add to that likelihood.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models are definitely trending warmer with this (12Z GFS shows 38C at 1mb BEFORE 192h)... yet still the PV doesn't split...

The ECMWF is just beginning to show a more poleward EP vector solution at the end of the run. I think once the wave crests and then another becomes modeled, the models will begin to show more interference.

I am starting to like the idea of full blown MMW this January.

By 240hr, 12z/20 ECMWF has a huge temp spike up at 10mb. Zonal winds at 1mb are decreasing rapidly. as well. But from what I gathered from previous posts here, the EP vectors just shifting upward, means it might take a few more weeks to fully propagate down:

If it propagates down, the graphs you show are the first ones that really are interesting and hopefully will start propagating down. Not all SSW events do.

By 240hr, 12z/20 ECMWF has a huge temp spike up at 10mb. Zonal winds at 1mb are decreasing rapidly. as well. But from what I gathered from previous posts here, the EP vectors just shifting upward, means it might take a few more weeks to fully propagate down:

That's the best things have looked for awhile. Hopefully, the modeling won't back down as the possible warming draws nearer.

Also, it should be noted that not every SSW has led to strong, sustained blocking. The December 15, 1998 SSW event led to some blockiness, but the AO+ was still predominant until a February 1999 SSW induced strong, sustained blocking culminating in a cold March in the eastern half of the U.S. (except northern New England, which was impacted by the above normal height anomalies associated with the blocking).

Since 1958, there have been three SSWs that have occurred during predominant strong AO+ regimes and AO+ months: January 31, 1973, February 21, 1989, and December 15, 1998. The SSWs did not lead to strong, sustained blocking. However, the AO Index was lower, overall, during the succeeding month. The sample size is small, but might suggest that an SSW might weaken but not reverse the current regime of predominant AO+ values. If so, January could wind up closer to normal in terms of temperature anomalies than December in the East, even if readings are still milder than normal. That would be consistent with some of the AO analogs that saw January wind up the coolest month relative to normal during the winter.

At present, it remains to be seen if an SSW will unfold. Many winters don't see them. If there is an SSW, it will be interesting to see the impact especially if the AO spikes as is currently indicated on the GFS ensembles.

In any case, the mild pattern in the East looks likely to continue into the New Year.

I believe January 2009 had a SSW, it was a "weak" La Nina, January average moderate AO and than February the AO averaged negative. Not sure what this December AO is going to average but it probably will be stronger than Jan 2009, but at least there is some hope.

The AO has averaged around +1.7 this month. The monthly average will probably finish between +1.5 and +2.0 if the current guidance is reasonably accurate. Since 1950, 11/12 (91.7%) cases that saw the December AO average +1 or above had a January AO > 0. 1979-80 was the single exception.

In January 2009, the AO averaged +0.800.

The AO has averaged around +1.7 this month. The monthly average will probably finish between +1.5 and +2.0 if the current guidance is reasonably accurate. Since 1950, 11/12 (91.7%) cases that saw the December AO average +1 or above had a January AO > 0. 1979-80 was the single exception.

In January 2009, the AO averaged +0.800.

amazing, albeit daunting stat there

EP flux vectors are still mostly equatorward, although a not as strong as the first 10 days of Dec. One thing to note is that the upward flux is very strong now, which means that planetary waves are reaching the stratosphere and doing it's dirty work there...which current observations confirm. If EP flux vectors slowly change to a more poleward direction in the next 15-20 days, then probabilities of a strat->tropo propagation will be good

ep_12z_tr_nh.gif

43C at 1mb 240h on yesterday's 12Z Euro... also zonal wind reversal at that level.

ecmwfzmuf240.gif

For people learning about SSWs...we want to see blues around 60N/10mb in the above graph. Blues in the upper stratosphere from 50N-poleward are depicting the first stages of a stratospheric warming.

Archived