• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rank top 5 severe weather outbreak

Thunderdude

for me, 7/12/06 - The F2 Long-track tornado in Westchester. That tornado developed just east of me, near the TZ bridge. Still remember looking at the damage while driving on the saw mill pkwy.. it was pretty amazing.

NOUS41 KOKX 141701

PNSOKX

CTZ005-NYZ069>071-152100-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY

100 PM EDT FRI JUL 14 2006

...SUMMARY OF THE JULY 12 2006 TORNADO ACROSS SOUTHEASTERN NEW YORK

AND THEN INTO NORTH GREENWICH CONNECTICUT...

NOAA`S NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON NEW YORK CONFIRMS THAT A

TORNADO PRODUCED A DAMAGE TRACK OF APPROXIMATELY 10 MILES IN LENGTH

THAT EXTENDED FROM GRAND VIEW-ON-HUDSON IN ROCKLAND COUNTY THROUGH

CENTRAL WESTCHESTER COUNTY OF SOUTHEASTERN NEW YORK AND THEN INTO

NORTH GREENWICH IN EXTREME SOUTHWESTERN FAIRFIELD COUNTY OF

CONNECTICUT.

THE MAXIMUM INTENSITY OF THE TORNADO WAS RATED AS F2 ON THE FUJITA

TORNADO INTENSITY SCALE...ALTHOUGH THE MAJORITY OF THE DAMAGE WAS

RATED AS A STRONG F1. WHILE DAMAGE WAS PRIMARILY CAUSED BY THE

THOUSANDS OF LARGE TREES THAT WERE UPROOTED AND SNAPPED...WIND

DAMAGE WAS EVIDENT TO STRUCTURES ALONG THE PATH. DESPITE THE LONG

PATH AND AMOUNT OF DAMAGE CAUSED BY THE TORNADO...NO FATALITIES

OCCURRED AND ONLY APPROXIMATELY SIX MINOR INJURIES WERE REPORTED.

THE TORNADO INITIALLY TOUCHED DOWN IN GRAND VIEW ON-THE-HUDSON IN

ROCKLAND COUNTY AT APPROXIMATELY 330 PM. AFTER DAMAGING A DOCK ON

THE ROCKLAND SIDE SHORELINE...THE TORNADO MOVED ACROSS THE HUDSON

RIVER...OVERTURNING A BOAT ON THE RIVER NEAR THE TAPPEN ZEE BRIDGE

BEFORE MOVING INTO THE TOWN OF SLEEPY HOLLOW IN WESTCHESTER COUNTY

AT APPROXIMATELY 337 PM. HOMES AND BUSINESSES ALONG BEEKMAN AVENUE...

DEPEYSTER STREET AND CHESTNUT STREET IN SLEEPY HOLLOW EXPERIENCED

ROOF AND SIDING DAMAGE ASSOCIATED WITH A TORNADO OF F1 INTENSITY.

THE TORNADO CONTINUED ON AN EAST NORTHEAST TRACK TO THE SLEEPY

HOLLOW HIGH SCHOOL. A 58 MPH WIND GUST WAS MEASURED AT 339 PM NEAR

THE PERIPHERY OF THE TORNADO TRACK.

AS THE TORNADO MOVED INTO THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF PACANTICO HILLS...THE

DAMAGE TO TREES AND STRUCTURES...THAT INCLUDED THE DESTRUCTION OF

TWO SMALL BARNS...INDICATED THAT THE TORNADO INTENSIFIED TO A F2. AS

THE TORNADO CROSSED ROUTE 9A...SIGNIFICANT STRUCTURAL DAMAGE

OCCURRED TO THE CALIFORNIA CLOSET BUILDING. IN ADDITION...A STATE

TROOPER`S VEHICLE WAS LIFTED BRIEFLY OFF THE GROUND AND A TRACTOR

TRAIL WAS BLOWN OVER. AS THE TORNADO MOVED INTO MOUNT PLEASANT AND

HAWTHORNE...EXTENSIVE TREE DAMAGE RATED AS STRONG F1 WAS OBSERVED IN

THE VICINITY OF STEVENS AVENUE. MINOR STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AND WINDOWS

BLOWN OUT WAS OBSERVED IN THE SUMMIT LAKE INDUSTRIAL AREA. THE

TORNADO THEN MOVED INTO THE KENSICO RESERVOIR REGION ACROSS ROUTES

22 AND 120 IN THE NORTH CASTLE AREA. THE PATH WIDTH OF THE TORNADO

WAS ESTIMATED AT 200 TO 300 YARDS BASED ON THE DAMAGE SURVEY ACROSS

WESTCHESTER COUNTY.

AS THE TORNADO ENTERED EXTREME SOUTHWESTERN FAIRFIELD COUNTY

CONNECTICUT AT 401 PM...F1 DAMAGE WAS OBSERVE IN NORTH GREENWICH

ALONG CUTLER AND BEDFORD ROADS. F0 DAMAGE WAS OBSERVED ALONG

RIVERSVILLE ROAD AS THE TORNADO MOVED EAST. THE TORNADO APPARENTLY

LIFTED AS IT CROSSED JOHN STREET. A BRIEF TOUCHDOWN MAY HAVE

OCCURRED JUST NORTH OF THE MERRITT PARKWAY. PATH WIDTH OBSERVED IN

FAIRFIELD COUNTY WAS APPROXIMATELY 100 YARDS.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREATLY APPRECIATES THE COOPERATION AND

ASSISTANCE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT

STAFF AS WELL AS LOCAL FIRE AND POLICE DEPARTMENT DURING THE TORNADO

EVENT AND FOLLOWING INVESTIGATION.

&&

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
for me, 7/12/06 - The F2 Long-track tornado in Westchester. That tornado developed just east of me, near the TZ bridge. Still remember looking at the damage while driving on the saw mill pkwy.. it was pretty amazing. NOUS41 KOKX 141701PNSOKXCTZ005-NYZ069>071-152100-PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY100 PM EDT FRI JUL 14 2006...SUMMARY OF THE JULY 12 2006 TORNADO ACROSS SOUTHEASTERN NEW YORKAND THEN INTO NORTH GREENWICH CONNECTICUT...NOAA`S NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON NEW YORK CONFIRMS THAT ATORNADO PRODUCED A DAMAGE TRACK OF APPROXIMATELY 10 MILES IN LENGTHTHAT EXTENDED FROM GRAND VIEW-ON-HUDSON IN ROCKLAND COUNTY THROUGHCENTRAL WESTCHESTER COUNTY OF SOUTHEASTERN NEW YORK AND THEN INTONORTH GREENWICH IN EXTREME SOUTHWESTERN FAIRFIELD COUNTY OFCONNECTICUT.THE MAXIMUM INTENSITY OF THE TORNADO WAS RATED AS F2 ON THE FUJITATORNADO INTENSITY SCALE...ALTHOUGH THE MAJORITY OF THE DAMAGE WASRATED AS A STRONG F1. WHILE DAMAGE WAS PRIMARILY CAUSED BY THETHOUSANDS OF LARGE TREES THAT WERE UPROOTED AND SNAPPED...WINDDAMAGE WAS EVIDENT TO STRUCTURES ALONG THE PATH. DESPITE THE LONGPATH AND AMOUNT OF DAMAGE CAUSED BY THE TORNADO...NO FATALITIESOCCURRED AND ONLY APPROXIMATELY SIX MINOR INJURIES WERE REPORTED.THE TORNADO INITIALLY TOUCHED DOWN IN GRAND VIEW ON-THE-HUDSON INROCKLAND COUNTY AT APPROXIMATELY 330 PM. AFTER DAMAGING A DOCK ONTHE ROCKLAND SIDE SHORELINE...THE TORNADO MOVED ACROSS THE HUDSONRIVER...OVERTURNING A BOAT ON THE RIVER NEAR THE TAPPEN ZEE BRIDGEBEFORE MOVING INTO THE TOWN OF SLEEPY HOLLOW IN WESTCHESTER COUNTYAT APPROXIMATELY 337 PM. HOMES AND BUSINESSES ALONG BEEKMAN AVENUE...DEPEYSTER STREET AND CHESTNUT STREET IN SLEEPY HOLLOW EXPERIENCEDROOF AND SIDING DAMAGE ASSOCIATED WITH A TORNADO OF F1 INTENSITY.THE TORNADO CONTINUED ON AN EAST NORTHEAST TRACK TO THE SLEEPYHOLLOW HIGH SCHOOL. A 58 MPH WIND GUST WAS MEASURED AT 339 PM NEARTHE PERIPHERY OF THE TORNADO TRACK.AS THE TORNADO MOVED INTO THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF PACANTICO HILLS...THEDAMAGE TO TREES AND STRUCTURES...THAT INCLUDED THE DESTRUCTION OFTWO SMALL BARNS...INDICATED THAT THE TORNADO INTENSIFIED TO A F2. ASTHE TORNADO CROSSED ROUTE 9A...SIGNIFICANT STRUCTURAL DAMAGEOCCURRED TO THE CALIFORNIA CLOSET BUILDING. IN ADDITION...A STATETROOPER`S VEHICLE WAS LIFTED BRIEFLY OFF THE GROUND AND A TRACTORTRAIL WAS BLOWN OVER. AS THE TORNADO MOVED INTO MOUNT PLEASANT ANDHAWTHORNE...EXTENSIVE TREE DAMAGE RATED AS STRONG F1 WAS OBSERVED INTHE VICINITY OF STEVENS AVENUE. MINOR STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AND WINDOWSBLOWN OUT WAS OBSERVED IN THE SUMMIT LAKE INDUSTRIAL AREA. THETORNADO THEN MOVED INTO THE KENSICO RESERVOIR REGION ACROSS ROUTES22 AND 120 IN THE NORTH CASTLE AREA. THE PATH WIDTH OF THE TORNADOWAS ESTIMATED AT 200 TO 300 YARDS BASED ON THE DAMAGE SURVEY ACROSSWESTCHESTER COUNTY.AS THE TORNADO ENTERED EXTREME SOUTHWESTERN FAIRFIELD COUNTYCONNECTICUT AT 401 PM...F1 DAMAGE WAS OBSERVE IN NORTH GREENWICHALONG CUTLER AND BEDFORD ROADS. F0 DAMAGE WAS OBSERVED ALONGRIVERSVILLE ROAD AS THE TORNADO MOVED EAST. THE TORNADO APPARENTLYLIFTED AS IT CROSSED JOHN STREET. A BRIEF TOUCHDOWN MAY HAVEOCCURRED JUST NORTH OF THE MERRITT PARKWAY. PATH WIDTH OBSERVED INFAIRFIELD COUNTY WAS APPROXIMATELY 100 YARDS.THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREATLY APPRECIATES THE COOPERATION ANDASSISTANCE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENTSTAFF AS WELL AS LOCAL FIRE AND POLICE DEPARTMENT DURING THE TORNADOEVENT AND FOLLOWING INVESTIGATION.&&

I remember driving through Sleepy Hollow and hawthorne several days later and seeing the path where the tornado crossed which was rather wide,one does not expect to see that in Westchester County.

I actually had surgery that morning so I don't remember much after I got home, except my dad yelling up the stairs 70 mph wind gusts!...and i'm like where???, then I stumble to the window and couldn't believe my eyes. And I wasn't living here at the time but the town I live in now had a confirmed tornado from the 9/7/98 derecho.

here's a personal favorite... this is part two of the july 97 event snowgoose mentioned

btw, i lived in bayonne until 2003

I actually had surgery that morning so I don't remember much after I got home, except my dad yelling up the stairs 70 mph wind gusts!...and i'm like where???, then I stumble to the window and couldn't believe my eyes. And I wasn't living here at the time but the town I live in now had a confirmed tornado from the 9/7/98 derecho.

Yeah Lynbrook had a high end F2.... I believe the winds were 130-150 mph? It was only 5 min from my house!

Maybe not for areas further south but its a pretty famous event for NYC with 2 confirmed tornadoes as well

"New York City Derecho of Labor Day 1998"

As the "Syracuse Labor Day Derecho" moved into New England, a new derecho storm system began to form over southeast Lower Michigan around 4 AM EDT Labor Day morning. This event, known as the "New York City Derecho of Labor Day 1998" (outlined in red on Fig. 1) raced east across northeast Ohio and Pennsylvania during the morning and early afternoon, reaching the New York City metropolitan area ("N" on Fig. 1) by mid afternoon. Most of the casualties occurred from extreme eastern Pennsylvania through northern New Jersey into the New York City metropolitan area, where 4 people were killed and 62 were injured. Almost all of the deaths and injuries were the result of people being hit by falling trees or being in boats that were overturned. Thousands of trees were blown down and about 100 boats were overturned. At least 130 homes and businesses were damaged. Over 300,000 customers lost power, and some did not get power restored until 5 days after the event.

In summary, the two Labor Day 1998 derechos battered a large part of the northeastern United States on a busy holiday weekend, leaving seven dead and nearly 80 injured. Power disruptions affected hundreds of thousands.

1998sep7rpts.jpg

Looks like the gust front cut the inflow and weakened the storms for CNJ southward. I don't remember this event at all, maybe because nothing special happened per that radar.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a severe outbreak per se but since it's July 26 I remembered the July 26 2009 severe storm that rolled through NJ. That's probably one of my favorite severe events. I remember not even knowing about the storm until I heard constant thunder in the distance. I rolled up a window shade and was greeted to a pale green sky to my west. After frenetically checking Wunderground I noticed that a storm with a TVS was headed right for me...so I prepared for it like any weather weenie would, I grabbed my cameras. :thumbsup:

Here's some video I took:

And here's the photo from the end of the video:

storm72609.jpg

Number 2 would probably be the Labor Day 98 derecho. I was still in grade school at the time and it totally scared the heck out of me. lol

• 4 years later...

Wow this thread brings back so many memories growing up on Long Island and being obsessed with severe weather. I can't really rank them but I'll add some comments to some ones that have been mentioned:

Labor Day 1998 - Saw this coming on radar and knew it would be trouble (was a young teen, very afraid of, but also amazed by severe storms). I was at Sports Plus in lake grove (remember that place) with mom and younger brother. All the sudden I look out the window and see almost complete darkness in the afternoon. Then the wind starts blowing everything sideways and horizontal torrential rain starts. Crazy stuff. 

September 16, 2010 - Was on LIRR train coming home from work when this hit. Just some rain and a rumble of thunder in my area of central LI. However, my brother was living in Forest Hills, Queens at the time which was basically the epicenter of the macroburst  I visited him the following day and saw complete devastation. Like about 50% of the trees on his block were ripped out of the ground and almost all the roadways in the area were blocked with uprooted trees and large branches. I've seen probably every youtube vid (probably 100 or so) of this storm and I'm completely obsessed. 

July 18, 1997 - As previously mentioned, 2 storms, one about 2 PM and the other about 8pm. 

​first storm: I may be mixing this up, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, it had some crazy CG and torrential downpours for over an hour. Our house or the telephone pole next to out house actually got hit by lightning and blew out our TV. 

​second storm: Was driving back from my little brother's baseball game with my Mom. All the sudden I start seeing some vivid cloud to cloud lightning. I had figured once the earlier storm had passed we were in the clear, so this was pretty surprising. As we got close to my house, the cloud to cloud lighting was absolutely immense and filling the entire sky. My mom who is almost never afraid of storms was starting to get nervous. We made it into the house right before the downpour and strong gusty winds started, which only lasted about 15-20 min or so. The storm actually had weakened a bit once it came to Long Island. The city got hit pretty hard, and 2 construction workers were actually killed when their scaffolding collapsed due to the sudden gusty winds (60 plus mph). 

May 29/30, 1995 - The first cluster of storms passed to our south and west. However, riding in the car back from my cousins I saw some pretty cool cloud formations and cloud to cloud lightning from the anvil of the storms. The second round passed just  to our south, but I saw some very intense CG strikes for almost an hour or so. The south shore apparently got nickel sized hail. 

some other misc storms:

I remember a storm when I was very young (maybe around summer of 1989-1990) where late afternoon/early evening the sky became a steely grey color and insane CG strikes were hitting all over the area we were driving through. Then there was some very intense winds where everything started blowing sideways and I thought the restaurant we were in was going to collapse. Then in about 15 min or so it was basically over. This was the storm that basically got me interested in severe weather. Any other input or info on the possible date of this storm and other details is welcome.  

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly can't list a single event, it's a shame. 9/16/10 wasn't memorable for me, the worst of it was well to my north, nothing out of the ordinary happened where I lived.

And I'm not sure if it technically counts as severe, but I remember the stalled out storm on the Queens/Nassau border a few years back, serious hail, but that was miles northeast of me, I got to see some pretty epic looking clouds and distant lightning bolts.

I honestly can't list a single event, it's a shame. 9/16/10 wasn't memorable for me, the worst of it was well to my north, nothing out of the ordinary happened where I lived.

And I'm not sure if it technically counts as severe, but I remember the stalled out storm on the Queens/Nassau border a few years back, serious hail, but that was miles northeast of me, I got to see some pretty epic looking clouds and distant lightning bolts.

I was just about to post about this. That was an epic storm here

Hmm, was it this storm? Apparently this occurred on 08/01/2011. 

NSFW language towards the end. 

bbaf8bbd8f980273e392fa2834735e61.jpg

Caught this lightning bolt too.

Nice pic. Was looking at the hail reports from that day, apparently near western Nassau County there was a report of 3.0 inch diameter hail, wow. My area of central Suffolk got shut out of the action that day from what I recall. 

i know im a little south of nyc, more of a philly poster. I would have to say top severe weather event was 5/22/14. At the time I lived in West Chester pa.  That day I received back to back golf ball sized hailstorms. Two within a half hour was just amazing. The fact that that was the largest hailstorm I ever experienced but to get a second one just 30 minutes later was just crazy. ( I wish I could see a nexrad loop of that day if some one could help me out and post it)

I think this vid best shows just how ferocious the 09/16/10 storm was. 

This vid was apparently taken in Forest Hills, Queens. My brother was living there at the time, and there was tons of uprooted trees, smashed car windshields and considerable damage all around that area. Although the storm was said to be a macroburst here, the shifting wind direction appears to be somewhat tornadic, so at least the tornado rotation appeared to be taking shape at this point. A few miles north and east in Flushing, Queens the storm was classified as an EF1 Tornado. 

Labor Day derecho. I was in the Staten Island mall when it hit. I went to one of the entrances on the north side of the mall to watch it. Got dark as night outside and wind was so strong that people who tried to run in from the storm from the parking lot were unable to pull the entrance doors open because the wind was so strong.

Archived