joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rank top 5 severe weather outbreak

Thunderdude

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Labor Day derecho. I was in the Staten Island mall when it hit. I went to one of the entrances on the north side of the mall to watch it. Got dark as night outside and wind was so strong that people who tried to run in from the storm from the parking lot were unable to pull the entrance doors open because the wind was so strong.

I was having a BBQ that day with my family when the storm hit. What an insane storm. Trees were falling in my area.

I was having a BBQ that day with my family when the storm hit. What an insane storm. Trees were falling in my area.

Yes, the Labor Day Derecho is definitely a storm that stands out in my mind as being epic. Does anyone have any pics or video of it? The only vid I can find on youtube is this one, pretty cool stuff: 

NSFW language (Brooklyn speak) 

This storm (07/18/2012) was probably the most intense storm lightning wise I've ever witnessed. I was at work, in my building in Queens on the 6th floor. I saw HUGE cloud to ground strikes hitting all around our building for a fairly long period of time. The thunder, which I normally can't hear very much of in our brick building, was shaking the floors and rattling the windows. Not my vid though, this guy does good work. 

This past spring/summer didn't seem to have a ton of severe weather events, but the few that did happen were pretty intense. From memory 06/23/15, 07/30/15 & 08/04/15 were the ones that stood out. The 08/04/15 event was particularly bad on Long Island. 

Here is a pretty cool vid of the intense 08/04/15 microburst storm out on port jefferson LI (NSFW language) 

Looking forward to see what this season brings.. 

Last August I believe was one of the best thunderstorms in years for me. Vivid lightning and constant thunder. 60 mph winds. I'm tryna remember if it was late July or Early August

It may have been 07/30/15. In that event, a severe cell developed in front of the main line of storms and slammed into NYC metro area around 3:00 pm with high winds, CG and heavy downpours. Then about an hour later the main squall line came in. Sports fans may remember this day as the day the Mets blew a game which they led big in the top of the 9th with 2 outs before 2 separate rain delays came in. 

The 08/04/15 event occurred when a quick moving severe cell cell rolled into NYC around 4:00 am with wicked CG lightning and downpours. However, that cell really exploded into a macroburst (with winds up to 95mph in stony brook) over central and eastern long island where it caused major tree damage and power outages. 

• 2 weeks later...

If the Appalachian mountains and Labrador current never existed, tornadoes like these would be very common here.

The Rocky Mountains are actually key to big Plains severe weather outbreaks. The air sinks and dries out coming from NM/CO, and forms the drylines that fire up storms here. The Gulf of Mexico provides very humid air (it's oppressive where I am-it almost feels like mid-summer in your area the last couple of days) that rises when it comes into contact with the dryline, and this plus spin/shear that originates from upper lows like today's over the Plains cause tornado outbreaks. Where I am, the storms will likely make it here too late for many tornadoes, but large hail and wind are more likely. 

The Deep South is similar, but there isn't a dryline that sparks the activity like in the Plains-it's a more conventional cold front combined with humidity from the Gulf and the same spin from spring and sometimes fall upper lows. The same conditions just don't come together as often in the Northeast, which make tornado outbreaks there less frequent. 

The Rocky Mountains are actually key to big Plains severe weather outbreaks. The air sinks and dries out coming from NM/CO, and forms the drylines that fire up storms here. The Gulf of Mexico provides very humid air (it's oppressive where I am-it almost feels like mid-summer in your area the last couple of days) that rises when it comes into contact with the dryline, and this plus spin/shear that originates from upper lows like today's over the Plains cause tornado outbreaks. Where I am, the storms will likely make it here too late for many tornadoes, but large hail and wind are more likely. 

The Deep South is similar, but there isn't a dryline that sparks the activity like in the Plains-it's a more conventional cold front combined with humidity from the Gulf and the same spin from spring and sometimes fall upper lows. The same conditions just don't come together as often in the Northeast, which make tornado outbreaks there less frequent. 

Yea just not perfect for the NE.

And this is why I plan on moving out of the NE after college.

To me severe weather outbreaks are too localized and when they hit they last for maybe 10 minutes. Also down here they can cause a lot of damage-San Antonio has been nailed a couple of times by baseball-size hail in the last few weeks, which is big enough to seriously mess up your car and break your windows. The best severe weather I've seen was last spring here when we had a squall line blow through with 75 mph wind gusts, which is the strongest wind I've seen since Sandy. There were also a couple of tornadoes around-a strong EF1 went maybe 2 miles from me. I've had at least 4 or 5 tornado warnings since I moved here, and I'm outside the prime Tornado Alley area-although I'm fairly close. The biggest hail I've seen was close to golf ball size with the Christmas outbreak in TX that nailed Dallas with tornadoes. There were a couple west of here luckily in unpopulated areas.

To me severe weather outbreaks are too localized and when they hit they last for maybe 10 minutes. Also down here they can cause a lot of damage-San Antonio has been nailed a couple of times by baseball-size hail in the last few weeks, which is big enough to seriously mess up your car and break your windows. The best severe weather I've seen was last spring here when we had a squall line blow through with 75 mph wind gusts, which is the strongest wind I've seen since Sandy. There were also a couple of tornadoes around-a strong EF1 went maybe 2 miles from me. I've had at least 4 or 5 tornado warnings since I moved here, and I'm outside the prime Tornado Alley area-although I'm fairly close. 

The only serious weather in the NE is snow lol.

the F2 that hit Brooklyn in 2007 was pretty wild

Have never seen direct video of that 2007 tornado. Warning on that one was a surreal experience...I went from "man I hope I'm right about this or I'm gonna get raked over the coals" to "wow I hope no one's getting injured or killed by this thing!" in only a couple of volume scans. Good thing it hit before 7 AM and not during the heart of rush hour.

Archived