SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Snow Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm... I just left the mountain and we had a brief but decent snow shower move through and whiten some surface up. Now looking at the composite radar it looks like we have a slug of moisture moving our way on a NW flow. Maybe we can pull another inch or two off up at the hill as this moisture interacts with the topography.

What an awesome day at the mountain... fresh powder everywhere and caked to all the trees. With a deep snowpack 34-90" it was like mid-winter skiing and riding today. A dense 7-8" now on top of the frozen glacier up there.

A steady snow just pulled in to Burlington, so I grabbed the latest radar imagery. The NWS doesn’t expect much in terms of accumulation, but it could snow for a bit with the moisture coming in, and perhaps a bit of accumulation in the mountains. It looks like I grabbed the frame right after yours Scott, and it’s neat to see the precipitation filling in:

22MAR11A.gif

Some pics from today...

Overnight snowfall of 4.5-5"...

1,500ft snow board... luckily I carry a measuring tape with me when I check because as far as I could tell, the wet snow caked the stake on the windward side, then fell off making it look like there was more. The other side of the stake was just above 4.5" and measuring tape said 4.8" on the board. I cleared exactly 2" off this board at 2pm yesterday, so storm total goes down as 6.8" at 1,500ft.

Increase in snow depth was 6" from 28" yesterday to 34" today.

It was a caking snow... here's the scene around the snow plot...

Nice event for later March... and nice to get that snow depth back up to just under 3 feet at the bottom of the mountain.

Good upslope snow showers going on... light colored surfaces are taking on a light dusting.

It looks like the heaviest is a bit south towards Bolton Valley, J.Spin's area, and upstream of 4,000ft Camels Hump.

Yes, decent snows in this area - 0.7 inches of additional snow as of my 6:00 P.M. observations. I'll put together my data in just a bit.

Event totals: 6.0” Snow/0.56” L.E.

Tuesday 3/22/2011 6:00 P.M. update: There was some snow falling in Burlington when I left today around 5:00 P.M., but I could see that it looked stronger to the east, and indeed, the snow increased in intensity the deeper I headed into the mountains. It was kind of nice to have some good ‘ol upslope flow back, because we’d been out of it for a while with the previous weather pattern. As Powderfreak mentioned, there’s been decent snowfall here, and 0.7 inches have accumulated as of 6:00 P.M. The precipitation has broken up a bit now in this area, but perhaps we’ll see some more if that next stream appearing on the radar can build down this way:

22MAR11B.gif

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 14.0

Snow Density: 7.1% H2O

Temperature: 33.8 F

Sky: Light Snow (1- 4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 22.0 inches

Had a couple tenths more after my last ob last night. Final total was 5.2". 1.5" away from 100" now.

Down to 30.1F from a high of 39.8F. The driveway is still covered with the snow from yesterday. Hopefully we get more at the end of the week from some inverted trough snows and then the possible biggie next week.

Only a dusting down at 800ft in town, but I ran into steady snow this morning about a half mile away from the 1,500ft base area.

There's just over an inch of new fluff in the parking lot, and it continues to snow surprisingly steadily despite the moon being out.

This is true January fluff where you stomp your foot down and all the snow within 6 inches of your footprint blows away.

A chilly 7F at the summit, and 16F here at 1,500ft. We are definitely back to a January weather pattern and the seasonal total continues to nickle and dime higher.

Dude that's like a postcard... awesome picture!

Ha-ha, thanks man. Our place is actually visible in this shot--far right, about half-way up there's a blue spot. That's our metal roof showing up through the trees. The high hill in roughly the middle of the picture with the open fields is called Garden Hill and has great views of the Whites. The top of that is at 2000' and those fields are sometimes great for linking some turns in the pow. Took the dog out for a ski yesterday to the ridge across from us, hence the pic. The skiing was great--the old pack deep & sturdy for the dog to stray on top and enough fresh snow on top for me to ski through. Will be going out again today.

Beautiful morning out there. Had a tenth of an inch last night, nice and clear this morning, 15F. Winter lives still!

Ha-ha, thanks man. Our place is actually visible in this shot--far right, about half-way up there's a blue spot. That's our metal roof showing up through the trees. The high hill in roughly the middle of the picture with the open fields is called Garden Hill and has great views of the Whites. The top of that is at 2000' and those fields are sometimes great for linking some turns in the pow. Took the dog out for a ski yesterday to the ridge across from us, hence the pic. The skiing was great--the old pack deep & sturdy for the dog to stray on top and enough fresh snow on top for me to ski through. Will be going out again today.

Beautiful morning out there. Had a tenth of an inch last night, nice and clear this morning, 16F. Winter lives still!

I must say if I didn't have a Green Mountain spine fetish, I'd definitely be looking for a place to live in your neck of the woods. Over the past couple years I've realized that I've come to really like your area there in the Orange Heights for snowfall, snowpack retention, scenery, and exploration opportunities.

You're snowpack there seems to be pretty close to that of the base of the ski area here at 1,500ft all winter long.

I must say if I didn't have a Green Mountain spine fetish, I'd definitely be looking for a place to live in your neck of the woods. Over the past couple years I've realized that I've come to really like your area there in the Orange Heights for snowfall, snowpack retention, scenery, and exploration opportunities.

You're snowpack there seems to be pretty close to that of the base of the ski area here at 1,500ft all winter long.

Hey, the spine is pretty amazing as a weather maker, so your interest is understandable... ;)

It is nice here no doubt, and a bit of a lesser-known area to boot. The only draw-back winter recreation-wise is that there isn't a large ski area in our back yard like you folks have. We actually have a little tow here in Corinth, Dartmouth Skiway is near by and after that, it's an hour's ride up to Burke to get a big mountain feel. That's why I freed the heel and took up backcountry touring around here. Plus it's free other than the gear. ;)

Ah, the pack here in the yard this morning is at 26".

Beautiful morning out there. Had a tenth of an inch last night, nice and clear this morning, 15F. Winter lives still!

Nice house. Love the architectural details.

GYX telling me maybe an inch or two tomorrow. We'll see 'bout that.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but this past storm is another great example of why the snowfall numbers from the Mansfield co-op should be taken with a grain of salt. It is also a primary reason why I've been so adement about using our two snow measuring sites here on the mountain to get an accurate idea of snowfall.

On Sunday evening, the snow depth at the co-op was 88". Monday evening the co-op reported 1" of new snow (0.26" liquid) and a 2" increase in snow depth, up to 90". Yesterday evening, they reported 2.3" of new snow (0.70" liquid), and a 5" increase in snow depth up to 95".

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
611 PM EDT SUN MAR 20 2011

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW
                  24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     0.00    25   9  24                0.0  88

521 PM EDT MON MAR 21 2011

...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     0.26    24  17  19   LIGHT FOG    1.0  90

609 PM EDT TUE MAR 22 2011

...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     0.70    24  18  19                2.3  95

Storm total liquid was 0.96".... snowfall total was 3.3".... and increase in snow depth was 7" at the Co-Op. They must get some pretty wet and dense snow up there at 3,900ft regardless of the fact that temps were between 17F-24F throughout the event.

Likewise, at our snow plots we saw the following:

1,500ft...6.8" of snowfall...increase in snow depth of 6" from 28" to 34".

3,000ft...8" of snowfall...increase in snow depth of 7" from 60" to 67".

So somehow, our upper mountain snow plot saw the same 7" increase in snow depth from the event, yet we got 8" of total snow... while the Co-Op saw only 3.3" of snowfall and the same increase of 7" in depth. These readings just boggle my mind; I wonder what the folks at BTV think when they look over this data.

Hey Powderfreak--who does the Mansfield co-op obs? I always figured it was Stowe (ski area) but apparently not?

Nice house. .

Thanks--it's a fixer-upper, which we've been chipping away at it for a few years. Right now we have some sweet Typar siding. ;) Hoping to put up cedar shingles for finished siding this summer and really dress the place up.

Busted out the telephoto yesterday for a real zoom-in:

5551695940_01338cab3a_z.jpg

Hey Powderfreak--who does the Mansfield co-op obs? I always figured it was Stowe (ski area) but apparently not?

Haha nope... it is the WCAX station engineers that live on top of the mountain. At the south end of the ridgeline where the towers are, there's a WCAX engineer who lives on the summit 24/7. Everyday at 4pm someone gets on their snowmobile and rides 300 feet down the Toll Road to read the stake depth. As far as I understand it, for the "NEW" snowfall measurements, they use a standard issue measuring bucket. Now this bucket must severly under-catch the snowfall because oftentimes at the summit the snowfall comes in horizontally as opposed to vertically.

Ironically, today, myself, a fellow ski patroller, and the WCAX guy in charge of the measurements (Fred Lavenburg) will be doing a tour of our snow study areas and his. I am very curious to figure out how they measure snowfall and why it usually isn't even close.

I'm also curious as to how their liquid amounts seem to make perfect sense, the snow depth increases always seem to make perfect sense, but the new snowfall reported is always puzzling. I will let you know what I find out.

Had a couple tenths more after my last ob last night. Final total was 5.2". 1.5" away from 100" now.

Down to 30.1F from a high of 39.8F. The driveway is still covered with the snow from yesterday. Hopefully we get more at the end of the week from some inverted trough snows and then the possible biggie next week.

Next weeks has big potential, We will see how it goes..

Haha nope... it is the WCAX station engineers that live on top of the mountain. At the south end of the ridgeline where the towers are, there's a WCAX engineer who lives on the summit 24/7. Everyday at 4pm someone gets on their snowmobile and rides 300 feet down the Toll Road to read the stake depth. As far as I understand it, for the "NEW" snowfall measurements, they use a standard issue measuring bucket. Now this bucket must severly under-catch the snowfall because oftentimes at the summit the snowfall comes in horizontally as opposed to vertically.

Ironically, today, myself, a fellow ski patroller, and the WCAX guy in charge of the measurements (Fred Lavenburg) will be doing a tour of our snow study areas and his. I am very curious to figure out how they measure snowfall and why it usually isn't even close.

I'm also curious as to how their liquid amounts seem to make perfect sense, the snow depth increases always seem to make perfect sense, but the new snowfall reported is always puzzling. I will let you know what I find out.

maybe they should switch to the Jay Peak measuring device, the wind sock with a yard stick in the middle, catches every bit of horizontal snow for extra accurate measurements.

nice backyard there Allenson. growing up in coastal (flatland) Maine I still find myself gawking when driving around in VT, hills to Mts, there is so much terrain in such a small state, I think its the hardwood forest that makes it so alluring, you can stare and imagine just how beautiful those woods are inside, I always enoy the ski tours through low land thickets and summit evergreens only to come into the hardwoods where you could drive a bus through without hitting a branch.

Allenson - you ski Burke. us too. highly recommend the west peak area, if you love woods, you'll love that section of Darling State Forest.

Funny how after just a couple days of high 30's with no wind waking up to 16F felt like sub zero.

Still spittin snow. Best March since 2007. had to resort to splitting all the knotted wood, wicked good time :arrowhead:

Event totals: 6.2” Snow/0.57” L.E.

Wednesday 3/23/2011 6:00 A.M. update: We picked up a couple of final tenths of an inch of snow from last night’s activity. This morning, the sky was basically clear, although in line with what Powderfreak mentioned about seeing the moon, we still had some light snow/flurries falling. I stopped in at Bolton for some turns before work, finding 3 to 5 settled inches at 1,500’, and generally 6 inches in the 2,000’ to 2,500’ range. It is very dry snow as my data from down at the house would indicate, so turns generally weren’t bottomless down at the lower elevations where I skied, but with all that fresh snow the skiing is still quite nice. Listening to Roger Hill’s forecast from this morning and reading the BTV NWS discussion, it sounds like we’re on the fringe of the next system this far north, but there could be a little light snow from it combined with the upper level low in Eastern Canada. Powderfreak’s comment about a January-style pattern is certainly true, it felt very much like that out there today, although the air doesn’t quite have that mid winter bite – no complaints there though.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 19.8 F

Sky: Mostly Clear/Flurries

Snow at the stake: 22.0 inches

Archived